jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.

Enter words here that describe what you are looking for (e.B. cut a tree) or a matter for citizens and companies (e.B. house construction, marriage).
Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Applying for a residence permit to look for a job for qualified professionals with academic training


You can obtain a residence permit to look for a job for professionals if you have a university degree. If you do not have a German university degree, your degree must either be recognised or comparable to a German university degree. You can already recognise or establish comparability before you enter Germany (see further information).

If you are already resident in Germany, you can obtain a residence permit to look for a job if you were immediately in possession of a residence permit for gainful employment or a residence permit for the purpose of the study-related internship EU.

If you want to work in a regulated profession, the required professional license must already be issued or promised when the residence permit for the job search is issued.

Regulated professions are professional activities the taking up or pursuit of which is subject to the possession of certain professional qualifications by law, regulation or administrative provision. Regulated professions in Germany are e.B. doctor, nurse, lawyer, teacher, educator or engineer.

With the residence permit to look for a job, you can exercise a trial employment, which the qualification qualifies you to exercise, for up to ten hours per week.

The residence permit is issued for up to six months.

  • You have a recognized and valid passport or passport replacement and if this was necessary for entry into Germany - a suitable visa.
  • There is no interest in expulsion against you.
  • Your stay does not endanger or adversely affect the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany.
  • You own
    - a German,
    - a recognised foreign or
    - foreign university degree comparable to a German university degree
  • The subject of your job search is employment as a specialist.
  • If necessary, you have a professional license or a commitment to the grant.
  • You can secure your livelihood and health insurance coverage from your own resources without using public services.
  • Valid passport or passport replacement
  • Visa, if this was required for entry into Germany
  • Current biometric photo
  • Original certificate of successful completion of higher education
  • In the case of foreign university degrees: Notification of the recognition or comparability of the university degree, assessment of certificates by the Central Office for Foreign Education (ZAB), if available
  • In the case of regulated professions: licence to practise a profession or a commitment to grant the profession
  • Proof of livelihood security (e.B. equity, blocked account, declaration of commitment)
  • Proof of your health insurance
  • Current registration certificate
  • Lease

In individual cases, the Foreigners' Registration Office may request further documents

Issuance of residence permit: EUR 100,00

Under certain conditions, a fee reduction or fee exemption may be considered.


  • Additional fees may apply for the issuance of the residence permit in the form of the electronic residence permit, which can also be used as electronic proof of identity.
  • The timing and form of charging and payment vary depending on the authority.
  • The residence permit should be applied for no later than eight weeks before the expiry of your visa or current residence permit.
  • The residence permit is issued for a maximum of six months.
  • Objection period: one month

about six to eight weeks

An appeal against a decision of the Foreigners' Registration Office may be lodged with the authority specified in the decision within one month of notification of the decision. The objection can be filed in writing, in electronic form and for record.

If the objection is not complied with by the Foreigners' Registration Office, an action may be brought before the court named in the notice of opposition.

Please contact the Foreigners' Registration Office.

  • Online procedure occasionally possible
  • Written form required
  • Personal appearance required

The procedure is as follows:

  • Depending on the foreigners' registration office and concerns, it may be possible to apply via the Internet. Find out whether your immigration office offers the electronic application for a residence permit.
  • If the application is only possible in person, make an appointment with the Foreigners' Registration Office. During the appointment, your application will be accepted and your proofs will be checked (bring them with you to the appointment). Your fingerprints will be taken for the production of an electronic residence permit (eATCard).
  • In the event of an electronic application, the Foreigners' Registration Office will contact you after receipt of your online application in order to make an appointment at the Foreigners' Registration Office if necessary. During the appointment, your proofs will be checked (bring them to the appointment) and your fingerprints will be taken for the production of the electronic residence permit (eAT card).
  • If your application is granted, the Foreigners' Registration Office will arrange for the eATKarte to be produced.
  • After about six to eight weeks, you can pick up the eAT Card at the Foreigners' Registration Office.
  • The eATKarte must always be collected in person.

Ministry of the Interior and Municipal Affairs of the State of Brandenburg

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Landkreis Harz - Sachgebiet Ausländerbehörde
Friedrich-Ebert-Straße 42
38820 Halberstadt, Stadt
03941 5970-4544
03941 5970-4160
Monday:08:00 - 12:00
13:00 - 16:00
Tuesday08:00 - 12:00
13:00 - 16:00
Wednesday08:00 - 12:00
13:00 - 16:00
Thursday08:00 - 12:00
13:00 - 16:00