jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.

Enter words here that describe what you are looking for (e.B. cut a tree) or a matter for citizens and companies (e.B. house construction, marriage).
Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Applying for a residence permit for refugees


If you have been granted refugee protection by the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees, apply for a residence permit at the immigration authority responsible for you.

You must be granted a residence permit (legal entitlement) if you have been indisputably recognised as a foreign refugee by the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees. However, you may not be granted the residence permit if you have been expelled on the basis of a particularly serious interest in expulsion (e.B. conviction for an intentional criminal offence to a prison sentence or juvenile sentence of at least 2 years).

Until the residence permit is issued, your stay is considered permitted by law.

The residence permit entitles you to work.

The residence permit is issued for 3 years and can then be extended.

They are subject to a residence requirement for 3 years for the federal state in which they were assigned to carry out the asylum procedure. The residence regulation does not apply or can be revoked if you, your spouse, registered partner or a minor child have taken up employment subject to social security contributions or vocational training or studies. Employment must also be sustainable. This is assumed if your employment relationship is expected to last for more than 3 months.

You are entitled to social benefits (basic security for jobseekers or basic security in old age or in the event of reduced earning capacity), child benefit, parental allowance and educational support

Family reunification for your spouse or minor children is possible. Within the scope of its discretion, the Foreigners' Registration Office may issue a residence permit to the spouse or minor child of a recognised refugee who is joining the applicant despite the lack of livelihood and sufficient housing. If the application for family reunification is submitted within 3 months of the granting of the residence permit and the establishment of the family partnership in a third country is not possible, there is a legal claim to the grant.

You are entitled to participate in the integration course. When the residence permit is issued, the Foreigners' Registration Office also determines ex officio whether there is a right to participate in an integration course. If this is the case, it will issue you with a certificate of eligibility. At the same time, you will also receive a list of course providers in your area, where you can register by presenting your authorization certificate.

A settlement permit must be granted to you if you

  • have had a residence permit for 5 years,
  • if the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (BAMF) has notified that the conditions for revocation or withdrawal are met,
  • have sufficient knowledge of the German language (level A 2),
  • can secure the livelihood for yourself and your family (community of needs) predominantly (at least 51%) from your own income.
  • your stay does not endanger or adversely affect the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany,
  • be allowed to pursue an economic activity and have all the necessary permits,
  • you have a basic knowledge of the legal and social order and living conditions in Germany,
  • have sufficient living space for yourself and your family.

If you are able to secure the livelihood for yourself and your family mainly (at least 75%) from your own income and if you have mastered the German language (corresponds to level C 1), you must already be granted the settlement permit if you have been in possession of a residence permit for 3 years.

  • You have been recognised as a refugee by the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees
  • Existence of an application for a residence permit
  • There must be no grounds for refusal.
  • Application for a residence permit
  • Decision of the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees on recognition as a refugee under the Geneva Refugee Convention
  • current biometric photo
  • Proof of identity, if available, e.B. passport, ID card, birth certificate, marriage certificate, citizenship card

As a recognised refugee, you are exempt from the fee for issuing a residence permit.

If you are issued a travel document for refugees, the fee is 60 euros from the age of 24 and 38 euros until the 24th year of life.

Validity of the residence permit 3 years,

Important note: Apply for the extension or issuance of the settlement permit in good time before the expiry of the validity.

As a rule, when applying for a residence permit, the competent immigration authority will inform you of the duration of the procedure (about 6 to 8 weeks).

Note: The residence permit is issued as an electronic residence permit.

Please contact the Foreigners' Registration Office.

Receive from your local immigration authority.

Online procedure possible: no

Personal appearance required: yes

As a rule, you must apply for your residence permit in person.

  • Make an appointment with the local immigration authority. You can also find out on the respective website of the Ausländerbörde about the application process and which documents you have to submit in which form.
  • During your appointment, your fingerprints will be taken.

If your application is granted, the Foreigners' Registration Office instructs Bundesdruckerei to produce the electronic residence permit. The residence permit takes the form of a credit card with additional electronic functions.

With regard to the duration of the procedure until the residence permit is handed over, please contact the competent immigration authority.

§ 25 sec. 2 sentence 1 1. AufenthG

§ 3 Abs. 1 AsylG

§ 12a AufenthG

§ 9 AufenthG

§ 26 AufenthG

§ 48 AufenthV

§ 52 Abs. 3 AufenthV

§ 29 Abs. 2 AufenhtG

§ 44 AufenthG

§ 78 AufenthG

§ 78a AufenthG

Saxon State Ministry of the Interior

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Landkreis Harz - Sachgebiet Ausländerbehörde
Friedrich-Ebert-Straße 42
38820 Halberstadt, Stadt
03941 5970-4544
03941 5970-4160
Monday:08:00 - 12:00
13:00 - 16:00
Tuesday08:00 - 12:00
13:00 - 16:00
Wednesday08:00 - 12:00
13:00 - 16:00
Thursday08:00 - 12:00
13:00 - 16:00