jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.

Enter words here that describe what you are looking for (e.B. cut a tree) or a matter for citizens and companies (e.B. house construction, marriage).
Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Applying for a residence permit to attend a general education school


If you are a citizen of a third country - i.e. you do not come from an EU or EEA country - and would like to attend a general education school in Germany, you can apply for a residence permit to attend school.

The Foreigners' Registration Office issues the residence permit for the duration of the planned school attendance if the prerequisites are met and no grounds for refusal are apparent.

The issuance of a residence permit requires, among other things, that school attendance is the main purpose of your stay. A mere part-time education does not satisfy these requirements.

  • They want to attend a public or state-recognized school with an international orientation or a private school that prepares its students for international degrees, degrees from other countries or state-recognized degrees (such as the International Baccalaureate [IB]).
  • Your selected school provides classes with a composition of students of different nationalities.
  • You want to attend at least the ninth grade.
  • You can secure your livelihood and health insurance cover for the duration of your stay from your own resources without recourse to public services. As a guideline, the current BAföGSatz (Federal Training Assistance Act) applies.
  • There is no interest in expulsion against you.
  • Recognized and valid identity document (for example, passport or passport substitute)
  • Current biometric photo in passport format (45 x 35 mm)
  • Proof of securing one's livelihood (for example, from one's own assets, payment of a security deposit into a blocked account, bank guarantee, declaration of commitment, scholarship, proof of parents' income or similar)
  • Proof of health insurance coverage (for example, confirmation of health insurance coverage or insurance policy).
  • Certificate from the school stating the duration and conditions of school attendance
  • In the case of minors: consent of all persons with custody to attend school (declaration of consent); if the parents with custody cannot submit the application jointly on behalf of their child, a written power of attorney from the absent parent is required; if custody is vested in only one parent, the signature of that parent is sufficient.

The documents and information must always be submitted in German. In individual cases, the Foreigners' Registration Office may require less or further proof.

Cost amount (fixed):

  • 100,00 Euro for adult applicants
  • 50,00 Euro for minor applicants


Additional fees may apply for the issuance of a residence permit in the form of an electronic residence title (eAT card), which can also be used as an electronic proof of identity.

The timing and form of charging and payment vary depending on the authority.

In certain cases, reductions or exemptions from fees may be considered (e.g. for persons entitled to asylum or recognised refugees). Lower fees may apply for Turkish nationals

Duration: 6 weeks to 8 weeks

Remark (for more information on the deadline):

The residence permit should be applied for at least eight weeks before the expiry of your valid visa or visa-free period.

Remark (for more information on the deadline):

The residence permit is issued for the duration of the planned school attendance, for example until the completion of the educational measure.

Duration: approx. 6 weeks to 8 weeks

Note for further information on processing time:

The processing time may vary depending on the workload of the Foreigners' Registration Office.

The production of the electronic residence title by Bundesdruckerei takes about 4 weeks to 6 weeks.

  • Objection against the decision of the Foreigners' Registration Office within one month of notification
  • Action before the court named in the notice of opposition if the objection is not complied with

Please contact the Foreigners' Registration Office.

Forms available: No

Written form required: No

Informal application possible: Yes

Personal appearance required: Yes

  • The residence permit must be applied for before your visa or visa-free stay ends.
  • Find out whether your immigration authority allows you to submit your application online or has a special application form.
  • If you have not yet reached the age of 18, you may not submit the application yourself, but need a representative (usually the application is made by the parents with custody).
  • If the application is only possible in person, make an appointment at the Foreigners' Registration Office. In the case of an online application, the Foreigners' Registration Office will contact you after receipt of your application to make an appointment.
  • If you have not yet reached the age of 18, you must be accompanied by at least one representative during the personal interview. If the parents with custody cannot appear in person, a written power of attorney must be provided for the application.
  • During the appointment, your identity and documents will be checked (please bring your documents, preferably original, to the appointment).
  • If your application is granted, your fingerprints will be taken for the purpose of obtaining the residence permit in the form of an electronic residence title (eATKarte).
  • The Foreigners' Registration Office commissions the production of the eATKarte at Bundesdruckerei. After completion, you will receive information and can pick up the eAT card from the responsible office. The eAT card must always be picked up in person.
  • If your application is rejected, you will receive a rejection notice.
  • During the possession of the residence permit, gainful employment is not permitted. An exception may exist for the time of the holidays.
  • During the stay to attend school, i.e. until successful completion of the educational measure and handing over of the corresponding graduation certificate, a residence permit for another purpose of residence should usually only be issued if there is a legal entitlement (for example, family reunification or studying).
  • If you have attended school in Germany under the framework of another residence permit, this does not justify the issuance of a residence permit to attend school.
  • The procedure is usually carried out in German.
  • All information provided to the Foreigners' Registration Office should be correct and complete to the best of our knowledge and belief so that the request can be processed without major delays.
  • Incorrect or incomplete information can slow down the procedure and be detrimental to those affected. In an emergency, incorrect or incomplete information that is not completed or corrected in time vis-à-vis the immigration authority may result in the withdrawal of residence rights already granted, a fine, imprisonment of up to three years or expulsion from the federal territory.
  • Due to the complexity of the right of residence, this description is for information purposes only and is not legally binding.

Ministry of the Interior and Municipal Affairs of the State of Brandenburg

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Landkreis Harz - Sachgebiet Ausländerbehörde
Friedrich-Ebert-Straße 42
38820 Halberstadt, Stadt
03941 5970-4544
03941 5970-4160
Monday:08:00 - 12:00
13:00 - 16:00
Tuesday08:00 - 12:00
13:00 - 16:00
Wednesday08:00 - 12:00
13:00 - 16:00
Thursday08:00 - 12:00
13:00 - 16:00