jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.

Enter words here that describe what you are looking for (e.B. cut a tree) or a matter for citizens and companies (e.B. house construction, marriage).
Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Applying for a residence permit for the spouse to join foreigners


The residence permit can be issued if you and your spouse or partner have reached the age of 18, although the minimum age may be waived in certain cases.  

As a rule, you must prove simple language skills. With simple language skills, you should be able to communicate in a simple way in everyday life on German, for example, ask for directions, shop and imagine. There are several exceptions to the requirement of proof of language proficiency. If, for example.B the foreign person is in possession of an EU ICT Card blue card or mobile ICT card, then you do not have to prove any language skills. Information on other exceptions to language skills can be obtained from your competent authority.

The residence permit for family reunification is a temporary residence permit. It is issued for the period of validity of the family member's residence permit in Germany - for at least one year. If the residence permit of the foreign person living in Germany is valid for less than one year, the residence permit is also issued for the shorter period.

The granted residence permit for family reunification entitles the holder to pursue gainful employment.

Under certain circumstances, the Foreigners' Registration Office may oblige you to participate in an integration course. This will then be noted on your residence permit.

  • You have a recognized and valid passport or passport substitute and, if necessary for entry - a dedicated visa.
  • There is no interest in expulsion against you.
  • Your stay does not endanger or adversely affect the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany.
  • The foreign person in Germany has a valid residence permit, settlement permit, permanent residence permitEU, EU Blue Card, ICT card or mobile ICT card.
  • You and your spouse or partner have reached the age of 18.
  • You can prove simple language skills, if necessary.
  • Your spouse or partner has sufficient health insurance coverage and financial resources to provide for your family.
  • Your spouse or life partner has successfully rented an apartment in Germany that offers enough space for your family.
  • Valid passport
  • Current biometric photo
  • Visa, if required
  • Residence permit of the foreign person in Germany to whom the reunification takes place
  • In the case of family reunification with the spouse: international marriage certificate as an officially certified copy or marriage certificate in the original language as an officially certified copy or marriage certificate checked by the German Mission Abroad for authenticity and correctness in the original language and in German translation
  • In the case of family reunification with a life partner: Partnership certificate
  • If applicable, proof of simple German language skills (A1 certificate)
  • Proof of health insurance coverage
  • Proof of livelihood security
  • Proof of the living conditions (e.B. rental contract or purchase contract with information on the number of square meters of the living space)

Issuance of residence permit: EUR 100,00

Under certain conditions, a fee reduction or fee exemption may be considered.

  • The residence permit should be applied for at least eight weeks before the expiry of your visa, which is still valid.
  • Objection period: 1 month

Please contact the Foreigners' Registration Office.

  • Forms: Forms can be obtained from your immigration office, if necessary they are also offered online
  • Online procedure occasionally possible
  • Written form required: yes
  • Personal appearance necessary: yes

Ministry of the Interior and Municipal Affairs

of the State of Brandenburg

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Landkreis Harz - Sachgebiet Ausländerbehörde
Friedrich-Ebert-Straße 42
38820 Halberstadt, Stadt
03941 5970-4544
03941 5970-4160
Monday:08:00 - 12:00
13:00 - 16:00
Tuesday08:00 - 12:00
13:00 - 16:00
Wednesday08:00 - 12:00
13:00 - 16:00
Thursday08:00 - 12:00
13:00 - 16:00