jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.

Enter words here that describe what you are looking for (e.B. cut a tree) or a matter for citizens and companies (e.B. house construction, marriage).
Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Applying for a residence permit for a parent to join underage Germans


You can join your German, minor, single child if you come from a country outside the EU or the EEA, have personal custody of the German child and intend to exercise it.

Personal care includes the right and at the same time the duty to care, educate, supervise and determine the child's residence. The child who has not yet reached the age of 18 is a minor. Single is one who is not married and has not yet been; even those who live in a registered civil partnership are not single

If these requirements are met, you must be granted the residence permit.

You can also join your child if you do not have personal custody. The prerequisite is that you already have a family partnership with your child in Germany. A family cohabitation is to be assumed if the relatives maintain regular contact with each other, which goes beyond mere visits. If the conditions are met, the authority decides by way of discretion on the issue of the residence permit.

Under certain circumstances, the Foreigners' Registration Office may oblige you to participate in an integration course. This will then be noted on your residence permit.

The residence permit is a temporary residence permit and is issued for at least one year.

  • You have a recognized and valid passport or passport substitute and, if necessary for entry - a dedicated visa.
  • Your child is a minor, single and has German citizenship.
  • You have personal custody of your child and want to exercise it or already have a family partnership with the child in Germany as a parent who is not entitled to custody.
  • There is no interest in expulsion against you.

Your stay does not endanger or adversely affect the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany

  • Valid passport or passport replacement
  • Current biometric photo
  • Visa, as far as this was necessary for entry
  • Birth certificate of your child
  • Proof of custody, if applicable
  • If necessary, proof of the management of the family cohabitation
  • Current registration certificate

In individual cases, the Foreigners' Registration Office may request further documents.

Issuance of residence permit: EUR 100,00

Under certain conditions, a fee reduction or fee exemption may be considered.


  • Additional fees may apply for the issuance of the residence permit in the form of the electronic residence permit, which can also be used as electronic proof of identity.
  • The timing and form of charging and payment vary depending on the authority.
  • The residence permit should be applied for no later than eight weeks before the expiry of your visa or your current residence permit or – if you are legally resident in Germany without a visa – within 90 days of entry.
  • Objection period: 1 month

about six to eight weeks.

An appeal against a decision of the Foreigners' Registration Office may be lodged with the authority specified in the decision within one month of notification of the decision. The objection can be filed in writing, in electronic form and for record.

If the objection is not complied with by the Foreigners' Registration Office, an action may be brought before the court named in the notice of opposition.

Please contact the competent immigration authority.

  • Online procedure occasionally possible
  • Written form required
  • Personal appearance required

The procedure is as follows:

  • Depending on the foreigners' registration office and concerns, it may be possible to apply via the Internet. Find out whether your immigration office offers the electronic application for a residence permit.
  • If the application is only possible in person, make an appointment with the Foreigners' Registration Office. During the appointment, your application will be accepted and your proofs will be checked (bring them with you to the appointment). Your fingerprints will be taken for the production of an electronic residence permit (eAT).
  • In the event of an electronic application, the Foreigners' Registration Office will contact you after receipt of your online application in order to make an appointment at the Foreigners' Registration Office if necessary. During the appointment, your certificates will be checked (bring them to the appointment) and your fingerprints will be taken for the production of the eAT.
  • If your application is granted, the Foreigners' Registration Office will arrange for the eAT to be produced.
  • After about six to eight weeks, you can pick up the eAT at the Foreigners' Registration Office.

The eAT must always be collected in person.

§ 28 paragraph 1 sentence 1 number 3 and sentence 4 Residence Act

Ministry of the Interior and Municipal Affairs of the State of Brandenburg

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Landkreis Harz - Sachgebiet Ausländerbehörde
Friedrich-Ebert-Straße 42
38820 Halberstadt, Stadt
03941 5970-4544
03941 5970-4160
Monday:08:00 - 12:00
13:00 - 16:00
Tuesday08:00 - 12:00
13:00 - 16:00
Wednesday08:00 - 12:00
13:00 - 16:00
Thursday08:00 - 12:00
13:00 - 16:00