jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.

Enter words here that describe what you are looking for (e.B. cut a tree) or a matter for citizens and companies (e.B. house construction, marriage).
Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Apply for a transfer of a driving licence from the EU or the EEA


Holders of a valid foreign driving licence (not EU/EEA member state) may drive motor vehicles indefinitely to the extent of their entitlement in Germany if they do not have a normal place of residence in Germany. If there is a reason for residence in Germany, the entitlement is only valid for a period of 6 months. Thereafter, the issuance of a German driving licence on the basis of the foreign driving licence is required (so-called rewriting).


EU or EEA driving licences of harmonised driving licence categories do not require any transfer and can be used without a time limit. This applies to driving licence classes A to BE.

In the case of driving licence classes that are limited in time in Germany (such as the driving licences for trucks and buses), the German validity periods also apply if no or a longer period is entered in the foreign driving licence.

Card driving licences issued from 19 January 2013 are limited to 15 years. However, the time limit only applies to the driving licence document. This must be renewed every 15 years. Regular medical examinations or other examinations are not associated with the exchange of documents.

Which documents are to be submitted in individual cases, please clarify in advance by telephone with the responsible office.

  • Application form (will be created in the driving licence authority)
  • Photo ID (identity card, passport, displaced person's ID)
  • Current registration certificate from the residents' registration office responsible for the main residence (registration certificate must only be presented if a valid identity card is not available)
  • Photograph that complies with the provisions of the Passport Ordinance (biometric suitability of the passport photo)
  • foreign driver's license, possibly with official translation
  • Proof that the foreign driver's license is valid
  • If an examination is required: a certificate of conduct of the authorities

All other application documents depend on the driving licence class to be converted and on the state that issued the driving licence. More detailed information can be obtained from your competent driving licence authority.

without trial period: EUR 35,00

with trial period: EUR 35,80

You must also expect costs for direct shipping to your address.

Please contact the driving licence authority of the county, the independent city in which you have your main residence.

Additional fees of 13.00 euros apply for a certificate of conduct of the authorities.

Ministry of Regional Development and Transport of the State of Saxony-Anhalt

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Landkreis Harz - Ordnungsamt
Friedrich-Ebert-Straße 42
38820 Halberstadt, Stadt
03941 5970-4509
03941 5970-4160
Monday:08:00 - 12:00
13:00 - 16:00
Tuesday08:00 - 12:00
13:00 - 16:00
Wednesday08:00 - 12:00
13:00 - 16:00
Thursday08:00 - 12:00
13:00 - 16:00