jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.

Enter words here that describe what you are looking for (e.B. cut a tree) or a matter for citizens and companies (e.B. house construction, marriage).
Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Apply for a certificate of eligibility for housing


You can apply for a Wohnberechtigungsschein (WBS) from your local authority. Which authority is responsible for you depends on the regulations of the respective federal state. You can find out which forms and documents are required from the relevant authorities.

The housing entitlement certificate contains information on the entitled persons, compliance with the relevant income limits, the living space and the number of rooms.

The certificate of eligibility for housing entitles the holder to move into a subsidized apartment (social housing). There is no legal entitlement to the placement of a corresponding apartment.

The apartment you wish to move into may not exceed the maximum apartment size specified in the WBS. Only in exceptional cases may the number of rooms or the living space be exceeded. The administration staff will also be happy to provide you with more information on this.

Some social housing is reserved for a specific group of people. These may be, for example, students, senior citizens (minimum age 60), people with disabilities or large households (at least three children). If you belong to a special group of people, this will also be stated on the certificate of eligibility.

The housing entitlement certificate is usually valid for one year, i.e. you can move into a council apartment within this period. After the expiry date, you can apply for a new housing entitlement certificate. Furthermore, it can only be used once to move into social housing. The certificate of eligibility must be handed over to the landlord/landlady when the tenancy agreement is signed.

  • German or EU nationality
  • Other nationality with a residence permit usually valid for at least one year
  • Age of majority (or consent of the legal guardian/legal guardian)
  • Households whose qualifying income does not exceed the income limit. Compliance with the income limit depends primarily on the number of people in the household and the income of all household members. The calculation is generally based on the gross annual income of all persons living in the household for the previous calendar year. In addition, there are exemptions and deductions, for example for people with a recognized severe disability/recognized degree of care.
  • One of the requirements is that you are not only staying in the Federal Republic of Germany temporarily, but that you have or want to establish your center of life here. The center of your life is the place where you settle permanently, voluntarily, alone or with your family.

For written applications

  • Identity card for German citizens and nationals from the European Community (ID card)
  • Passport for foreign citizens with a residence permit valid for at least one year

Legitimization (user name / password) is also required electronically.

In addition:

  • Declaration of income from each household member whohas their own income
  • Depending on the income earned, appropriate proof must be provided. This can be, for example
    • Pay slips from the previous year
    • Pay slips for the last 12 months
    • Annual income tax statement for the previous year
    • Income tax assessment of the previous year

Depending on your personal situation, further documents may also be required:

For example:

  • Certificate of disability (e.g. for severely disabled people)
  • Certificate of enrollment (e.g. for students)
  • BAföGBescheide (for recipients of educational grants)
  • Pension certificate (e.g. for pensioners)
  • Proof of benefits from the job center (e.g. for the unemployed)

This list is not exhaustive.

Depending on the case, the administrative staff may require additional documents. If this is the case, you will be contacted immediately.

The amount of the fees depends on the regulations of the respective federal state and the responsible municipality.

Period of Validity: 12 Months
The housing entitlement certificate is only valid in the federal state in which it is issued and is generally valid for one year. It can be used to move into an apartment within the period of validity.

Housing entitlement certificates are issued by the housing subsidy offices of the districts and independent cities.

Forms available: Yes

Written form required: Yes

Personal appearance required: No

False information can be prosecuted and punished as false certification or fraud. A residence entitlement certificate issued can be revoked if it was issued on the basis of incomplete or incorrect information.

The housing promotion laws of the individual federal states apply. If the federal states have not passed their own laws, the federal law applies.

Lower Saxony Ministry for the Environment, Energy, Building and Climate Protection

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Landkreis Harz - Sachgebiet Wohngeld/Wohnungsbauförderung
Schwanebecker Straße 14
38820 Halberstadt, Stadt
Monday:08:00 - 12:00
13:00 - 16:00
Tuesday08:00 - 12:00
13:00 - 16:00
Wednesday08:00 - 12:00
13:00 - 16:00
Thursday08:00 - 12:00
13:00 - 16:00