jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.

Enter words here that describe what you are looking for (e.B. cut a tree) or a matter for citizens and companies (e.B. house construction, marriage).
Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Applying for a death certificate in the event of death on a foreign seagoing vessel


A death that has occurred abroad can also be notarized, i.e. entered, in a German death register at your request. The so-called post-certification also applies to deaths on foreign seagoing vessels.

Deaths on foreign seagoing vessels are deaths abroad with the peculiarity that the place of death is a foreign seagoing vessel.

With the post-certification, in addition to the notarization abroad, i.e. in addition to the entry in the death register of the country in which the death occurs, an entry in a German death register is made.

You can apply for post-certification at the responsible German registry office.

  • The death occurred on a foreign seagoing vessel
  • Thedeath occurred during a sea voyage outside the seagoing vessel - but not on land or in a domestic port - and the deceased person was taken in by a foreign seagoing vessel.
  • The deceased person had German nationality at the time of death
  • The deceased person had the status of a stateless person, a homeless foreigner or a foreign refugee within the meaning of the Convention relating to the Status of Refugees Habitually Resident in Germany
  • Eligible to apply are
    • the parents of a child who died abroad, the child of the deceased person and spouses or life partners
    • Pwho can assert a legal interest in notarization against the registry office

Responsible for the application is the registry office in whose area the deceased person had his habitual residence in Germany. If the deceased person did not have a national residence, the registry office in whose area you as the applicant have your domicile or habitual residence is competent. If none of the aforementioned alternatives apply, you can submit the application to the registry office I in Berlin.

The application for subsequent certification of a death on a foreign seagoing vessel must be submitted to the responsible German registry office.

  • Contact the responsible German registry office in writing, by telephone or in person, describe your concerns and ask for the documents you have to submit.
  • Submit the application for post-certification and attach the necessary documents.
  • The registry office will check your details as well as the evidence you have submitted and, if necessary, carry out the subsequent certification of the death.
  • You have the possibility to apply for the issuance of a German death certificate for a fee at the same registry office.

For the information to be included in the death record, you must provide the necessary documents or other documents in your possession.

In particular, the following documents are required:

  • Your identity card/passport as an applicant
  • foreign death certificate of the deceased person (if necessary with translation and certification by the competent foreign authority (apostille) or legalization by the German mission abroad; it may be sufficient to submit a multilingual form)
  • the marriage or civil partnership certificate of the deceased person's last marriage or partnership and or proof of their dissolution,
  • the birth certificate of the deceased person,
  • proof of the deceased person's last place of residence
  • for naturalized citizens, persons entitled to asylum, stateless persons, homeless foreigners and recognized foreign refugees: certificate of naturalization / proof of special status

Lower Saxony Ministry of the Interior and Sport

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

No authority found