jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.

Enter words here that describe what you are looking for (e.B. cut a tree) or a matter for citizens and companies (e.B. house construction, marriage).
Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Apply for a child-raising pension


The child-raising pension supports you as a single parent if your divorced spouse or partner dies. The pension therefore serves as a substitute for maintenance and allows you to devote more time to bringing up your children.

The child-raising pension is a pension from your own pension account. The amount corresponds to the pension you would receive if you were fully disabled. Your annual pension information will state the amount on which this is based. If your child-raising pension starts before the relevant age limit for you, you will have to accept deductions. For each month that you retire earlier, the deduction is 0.3 percent, up to a maximum of 10.8 percent.

If you receive the child-raising pension, you may have additional income (supplementary income). However, your income may be taken into account if you exceed an allowance. The amount of this allowance is calculated individually.

You can also receive the child-raising pension if you were still married or in a registered civil partnership at the time of death and had decided as a couple to share your pension entitlements in what is known as pension splitting.

You cannot receive a child-raising pension if you receive another, higher pension from the statutory pension insurance scheme at the same time.

The child-raising pension ends at the end of the month in which the conditions cease to apply, for example if you remarry or if your child reaches the age of 18 and child-raising therefore ends, but at the latest when you reach the standard retirement age.

  • Your marriage or civil partnership was divorced, annulled or dissolved after 30.06.1977 or, if the marriage was dissolved before 01.07.1977, the maintenance claim was based on GDR law
  • Your divorced spouse or partner has died.
  • You are raising your own child or a child of your former spouse or partner (including stepchildren, foster children, grandchildren or siblings) who is under the age of 18, or
  • You are raising a disabled child of your own or a child of your former spouse or partner (regardless of the age of the child).
  • You have not remarried and have not registered a new civil partnership.
  • You were covered by pension insurance for at least 5 years until the death of your divorced spouse or partner (general qualifying period).
  • You have not yet reached the standard retirement age.
  • If you are still married or in a civil partnership at the time of death: you have previously split your pension.

The general qualifying period of 5 years includes

  • Contribution periods (compulsory and voluntary contributions),
  • substitute periods,
  • child-raising periods,
  • periods from pension equalization and pension splitting between spouses,
  • periods of marginal employment with contributions paid by the employer and
  • additional earnings points for earnings from marginal employment exempt from compulsory insurance.
  • Application for survivor's pension
  • Identity document (e.g. identity card, passport, birth certificate or family register)
  • Death certificate of the partner
  • Marriage certificate or civil partnership certificate
  • Proof of the dissolution of the marriage or registered civil partnership
  • Details of your income
  • Last pension adjustment notification of the deceased or other pension documents

There are no costs.

Your pension begins on the 1st of the calendar month in which you meet the requirements, provided you submit your application within 3 calendar months.

If the application is submitted later, your pension will be paid from the calendar month in which the pension is applied for.

Processing usually takes up to 4 months.

  • Objection. Detailed information can be found in the decision on your pension application.
  • Appeal to the social court. Detailed information can be found in the notice of objection.

Forms available: Yes

Written form required: Yes

Informal application possible: No

Personal appearance necessary: No

Online services available: Yes

You can submit your application online, in person or in writing.

Online application:

  • On the German Pension Insurance (DRV) website under "Online services" you will find detailed information on the process.
  • If you follow the "Submit application" link, you will be guided through the next steps and can select the desired application.
  • Alternatively, you can use the online services with registration. For example, you can immediately see which insurance periods have already been recorded. You also save time and do not have to re-enter data you already know.
  • Complete the application in full and upload the required documents.
  • Submit your application online.
  • You will receive a confirmation of submission.
  • The responsible pension insurance provider will check your application.
  • You will receive notification of your application.

Personal application:

  • Compile the necessary documents for your application and make an appointment with the DRV.
  • When making an appointment online, your personal details and, if possible, your insurance number will be required.
  • You can select a desired advice center and your preferred date. Depending on the availability of free appointments, you will receive a proposal for a binding consultation appointment.
  • During your personal consultation, your application will be recorded electronically and forwarded online to the relevant pension insurance provider.
  • The responsible pension insurance provider will check your application.
  • You will receive a decision on your application.

Written application:

  • Go to the DRV website.
  • Download the required application form.
  • You can also collect the form in person from the information and advice centers.
  • Complete the application form, sign it and attach the required documents.
  • Send all documents
    • by post to your pension insurance provider or
    • hand them in at one of the local advice centers.
  • The responsible pension insurance provider will check your application.
  • You will receive a decision on your application.

A person you trust can also submit your pension application on your behalf. Please submit a power of attorney to the pension insurance fund for this purpose. As long as the power of attorney is valid, the pension insurance company will only contact the person you have authorized.

If you give your consent to electronic communication, all correspondence can take place online. You can either use the electronic mailbox under the online services with registration or De-Mail.

Federal Ministry of Labor and Social Affairs (BMAS)

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

No authority found