jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.

Enter words here that describe what you are looking for (e.B. cut a tree) or a matter for citizens and companies (e.B. house construction, marriage).
Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Applying for permission for unmanned aircraft


The operation of unmanned aircraft (UAS - Unmanned Aircraft System) is divided into 3 categories:

  • "open"
  • "special"
  • "subject to authorization"

The grading of the individual categories is based on the respective operational risk or the maximum possible personal injury.

If you want to operate a UAS in the "open" category, this represents the lowest operating risk. You can fly your drone without prior approval. The prerequisite is that you comply with the necessary rules for operation, such as proof of competence or safety requirements.

Operation in the "special" category

If you are unable to comply with the conditions of the "open" operating category, a UAS operation will be assigned to the categories requiring approval.

You must therefore obtain a permit before commencing flight operations in the "special" and "subject to approval" operating categories. Approvals for the category "subject to approval" are not yet possible, as the corresponding UAS and the legal requirements for operation are still under development.

You can check in advance which category your operation belongs to on the basis of your own risk assessment.

The German Federal Aviation Office provides a clear flow chart on its website to help you classify your operation. For example, if your aircraft has a take-off mass of more than 25 kilograms or is intended to drop objects, you will need an operating permit.

You should draw up a rough operating concept before operation. The following questions are relevant:

  • Where should your UAS fly (ground and air area)?
  • How high should it fly?
  • How should it be flown? Within visual line of sight (VLOS ¬- "Visual Line of Sight") or beyond visual line of sight (BVLOS - "Beyond Visual Line of Sight")?
  • Which UAS do you want to fly with?

To obtain an operating license in the "special" category, please contact the aviation authority in your federal state.

If the local jurisdiction falls within one of the following federal states, the Luftfahrt-Bundesamt (LBA) will handle the application:

  • Bavaria
  • Berlin
  • Brandenburg
  • North Rhine-Westphalia
  • Saarland
  • Saxony
  • Saxony-Anhalt
  • Thuringia

If possible, contact your local authority before submitting your application. You may only undertake the flight if you have an operating permit.

  • You own
    • adequate air liability insurance,
    • a certificate of competence according to A2 or higher and
    • a UAS operator number from the LBA.
  • The documents you have submitted are complete and correct.
  • Main application: Application for an operating license in the "special" category in accordance with Article 12 of Regulation (EU) 2019/947
  • Proof of air liability insurance
  • Proof of competence according to A2 or higher
  • Operations manual (ConOps)
  • SORA risk assessment (SORA - Specific Operations Risk Assessment)
  • Other documents such as permits, if applicable
    • for entry into geographical areas
    • for flights in control zones
    • for dropping objects

Administration Fee: 200,00 - 2000,00 EUR
Payment in advance: No

There is no deadline.

Please contact the responsible aviation authority of the state - the Saxony-Anhalt State Administration Office.

Federal Ministry for Digital and Transport Affairs (BMDV)

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

No authority found