jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.

Enter words here that describe what you are looking for (e.B. cut a tree) or a matter for citizens and companies (e.B. house construction, marriage).
Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Have political education seminars of private educational institutions recognized by the Federal Agency for Civic Education as eligible for special leave


Federal civil servants and judges may be granted up to 10 days of special leave per year under the Special Leave Ordinance to attend educational events in the field of politics and society. This applies primarily to educational events conducted by government agencies.
If you, as a non-governmental organisation, offer seminars for this target group, you can have them recognised as "eligible" by the Federal Agency for Civic Education (BpB). Participants can then be exempted from service for your educational offering. This can have a positive effect on the number of participants.
If your educational event focuses on one of the following topics, it may be recognized by the BpB:

  • Promoting an understanding of the democratic social and political order in theory and practice
  • imparting knowledge about the central economic, social, ecological, technical and cultural issues of the present and the future
  • Promoting an awareness of history that critically supports the development of a national identity
  • Promotion of a critical examination of National Socialism
  • Contemporary historical events
  • Intellectual and political confrontation with anti-democratic efforts; especially with regard to right-wing and left-wing extremism
  • Reduction of prejudices against minorities and social fringe groups
  • Imparting knowledge about the development of international relations
  • Raising awareness of the problems of peacekeeping
  • Strengthening and further development of a European consciousness
  • Promotion of a critical examination of the former GDR
  • Rhetoric and communication seminars will be recognised provided that the practical exercises are based on political topics. The list of topics must be attached to the application. The recognition of eligibility for funding refers exclusively to the educational event itself, not to you as an educational institution in general.

In order for your educational event to be recognized, it must meet the following requirements:

  • The aim must be to sharpen public servants' understanding of political, social and economic issues and to convey the values of the free democratic basic order.
  • It must take the form of a seminar.

Your educational event cannot be recognised if it

  • is not neutral, for example by
    • pursues the political aims of groups or parties, or
    • predominantly pursues the interests of associations,
  • predominantly serves the purpose of vocational training and further education,
  • predominantly conveys technical, organisational or scientific contexts,
  • has the character of a congress or
  • imparts knowledge which is necessary for an activity in a staff council

  • Cover letter with
    • Name and address of the responsible educational institution,
    • Indication of the legal basis on which you are relying
  • Program of the event, for example seminar or travel program with
    • Overview of the contents imparted,
    • time schedule,
    • date and
    • conference venue or destination

There are no costs for you.

If possible, you should apply for recognition 6 weeks before the start of the training measure.

It usually takes 2 to 3 weeks to process your application.

You can lodge an appeal against the rejection notice with the Federal Agency for Civic Education within 1 month.

Forms: no

Online procedure possible: no

Written form required: yes

Personal appearance required: no

Confidence level: low

You can apply for recognition of the eligibility of your educational event in writing:

  • There is no pre-printed form. You can apply for recognition informally.
  • Send your application with all the necessary documents by post to the Federal Agency for Civic Education.
  • The BpB will check the application and the programme of your educational event.
  • The BpB will send you a certificate of recognition or a rejection notice by post.

Federal Ministry of the Interior, for Building and Home Affairs

No authority found