jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.

Enter words here that describe what you are looking for (e.B. cut a tree) or a matter for citizens and companies (e.B. house construction, marriage).
Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Apply for recognition of equivalent training completed abroad as a nursing assistant


The profession of healthcare and nursing assistant is regulated in many federal states in Germany. This means that in order to work as a healthcare and nursing assistant without restriction, you need a state permit.

With this permit, you can use the job title and work in the profession without restriction.

The legal regulations and requirements of the profession differ from state to state.

Even if you have a professional qualification from abroad, you can obtain permission to use the professional title from the competent body (an authority).

To do this, you must have your foreign professional qualification recognized. In the procedure, the competent authority compares your foreign professional qualification with the German professional qualification and checks the equivalence. Equivalence is an important prerequisite for obtaining a state permit.

In addition to the professional qualification, you must also meet other requirements. For example, you must be in good health and be able to speak German.

It is important where you completed your training. The procedure for professional qualifications from the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland may be different from the procedure for professional qualifications from third countries. Third countries are all countries that do not belong to the EU, the EEA or Switzerland.

You can also submit the application from abroad.

Applicants must also provide credible evidence that they intend to practice the profession in the state of Saxony-Anhalt.

  • You have a professional qualification as a healthcare and nursing assistant from abroad.
  • You are healthy (health suitability). This means that you are mentally and physically healthy and can work in your profession.
  • You are personally suited to the profession (personal aptitude). This means: You are reliable and have no criminal record.
  • You have sufficient knowledge of German. You must normally demonstrate language level B2 according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.

The application must be accompanied by the following documents

  • brief curriculum vitae with a table listing the training courses completed and the gainful employment held
  • birth certificate
  • Certificate of change of name (e.g. marriage certificate/excerpt from the family register)
  • Proof of identity (identity card / passport)
  • Proof of application for an entry visa for gainful employment
  • School leaving certificate
  • Examination certificate with proof of the theoretical and practical lessons received in the individual subjects
  • Diploma / certificate of state recognition in the country in which the training was completed
  • Certificate from the home country or country of origin on the recognition of professional qualifications in accordance with Directive 2005/36/EC and professional experience
  • Proof of previous professional activities (e.g. job references, work book)
  • Proof of completion of a "German" language course (CEFR - B2)
  • Certificate of main residence from the registration office responsible for your place of residence
  • Proof of contact with potential employers
  • Declaration of no criminal record (see form)
  • a declaration that no application for professional recognition has yet been submitted.

The documents must be submitted as officially certified photocopies (certification is only possible by residents' registration offices, district offices or notary's offices).

The German translations must be prepared by a publicly appointed or sworn interpreter or translator.

Administrative fees are charged for the application procedure. The fee can cost up to 600 euros.

Sometimes documents are missing for the procedure. The responsible office will inform you and specify deadlines. You must then submit the documents by the deadline.

The responsible office will confirm that your documents have arrived after a maximum of one month. The competent office will inform you if any documents are missing.
If the documents are complete, the procedure takes 3 months.
In individual cases, the procedure may be extended. For professional qualifications from the EU, the EEA or Switzerland, the procedure takes a maximum of 4 months.

Responsibility lies with the State Administration Office of Saxony-Anhalt in the State Examination Office for Health Professions.

The procedure may vary from state to state. In most federal states, the procedure is as follows:

Examination of equivalence

You submit an application for a permit to the competent authority.The application is called differently in each federal state.
The competent authority then checks whether you meet all the requirements. An important requirement is the professional qualification. The competent authority compares your professional qualification from abroad with the German professional qualification as a healthcare and nursing assistant. The competent authority will check whether your professional qualification is equivalent. The professional qualification is equivalent if there are no significant differences between your foreign professional qualification and the German professional qualification.

Possible results of the examination

If your professional qualification is equivalent, your foreign professional qualification will be recognized. The authority can confirm the result in writing. You must still meet the other requirements and provide proof of your language skills. You will then receive permission to use the professional title.

If the competent authority identifies significant differences, you may be able to compensate for the differences through your professional experience. You must provide evidence of your professional experience.

However, your professional experience may not be sufficient. In this case, you will not be able to compensate for the main differences. The competent body will inform you in writing of the main differences and why you cannot compensate for them with your professional experience. However, the competent body will offer you a compensatory measure. If you successfully complete this measure, you can compensate for the main differences. Your professional qualification will then be recognized.

Compensatory measures

As a compensation measure, you can choose between an adaptation period and an aptitude test (for professional qualifications from the EU/EEA/Switzerland) or a knowledge test (for professional qualifications from third countries). The adaptation period is a practical post-qualification and can last the entire German training period for the profession (12 months). In the aptitude test, only the differences identified by the competent authority are tested. In the knowledge test, your knowledge in certain subjects and areas is tested. If you complete the adaptation period or pass the aptitude test or knowledge test (and meet all other requirements), you will receive permission to use the professional title.

Legal remedy

The competent authority will issue its decision in writing. You can take legal action against the decision of the competent authority. The decision will then be reviewed. Details can be found in the information on legal remedies at the end of the decision. We recommend that you first speak to the competent authority before taking legal action against the decision.

The "Integration through Qualification" network (IQ network) will be happy to advise and support you before, during and, if necessary, after the recognition procedure.

The legal basis is different in each federal state.
The relevant professional laws apply (e.g. vocational school regulations, training and examination regulations for healthcare and nursing assistance, Nursing Assistance Act).
The regulations of the Professional Qualifications Assessment Acts (BQFG) or "Recognition Acts" of the federal states often also apply.
You can find all recognition laws here:

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Start your request directly online:

Landesverwaltungsamt Sachsen-Anhalt - Landesprüfungsamt für Gesundheitsberufe
Hansering 15
06108 Halle (Saale), Stadt
Ernst-Kamieth-Str. 2
06112 Halle (Saale), Stadt
+49 345 514-3268

Remark: Academic
+49 345 514-3045

Remark: non-academic
+49 345 514-3279

Tue. 09:00 - 12:00, 13:00 - 15:30

Thurs. 09:00 - 12:00, 13:00 - 15:30

Note: Telephone consultation hours, no opening hours

Consultation hours in person: by appointment