jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.

Enter words here that describe what you are looking for (e.B. cut a tree) or a matter for citizens and companies (e.B. house construction, marriage).
Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Apply for equivalence of qualifications and training certificates in accordance with § 13c of the Industrial Code


The work as a guard, insurance consultant, insurance intermediary, financial investment broker, fee-based financial investment advisor or real estate loan broker is regulated in Germany.
This means that you need a trade permit to work in the professions. For the permit you need a certificate of competence.

The expertise is the professional qualification you need for the corresponding work.

Even with a professional qualification from abroad, you can prove your competence. To do this, you must have your professional qualification recognised. Professional qualifications can be: evidence of formal qualifications or evidence of formal qualifications.

If you want to work permanently independently in the professions mentioned, you also need a permit. With the permit, you may operate these professions permanently and independently as a business. For permission, you must meet several requirements. An important prerequisite is the proof of competence. You apply for permission in another procedure.

  • You have a professional qualification as a guard, insurance consultant, insurance intermediary, financial investment broker, fee-based financial investment advisor or real estate loan broker from abroad.
  • You would like to settle permanently in Germany and work in one of the professions mentioned.

The competent authority will inform you which documents you need to submit. Important documents are generally:

  • Proof of identity (identity card or passport in officially certified copy)
  • List in tabular form with your training and professional experience (CV)
  • Evidence of formal qualifications
  • Proof of relevant professional experience
  • Other qualifications
  • If the profession is regulated in your country of training: a certificate that you are allowed to practice the profession in your training state

The competent authority will inform you which documents you must submit in the original or as a certified copy.
You must present your documents in German. Translations must be carried out by publicly appointed or authorised translators.

The competent authority will inform you about the costs. The costs generally depend on the effort required for processing.

In addition, additional costs may arise (e.B. for translations and certifications). These costs vary from person to person.


Sometimes documents are still missing in the procedure. The responsible authority will then inform you by when you have to submit the documents.

Forms: Forms can be obtained from the competent authority.

Online procedure: Through the Point of Single Contact

Written form requirement: possibly

Personal appearance required: no

  • You submit an "application for recognition of foreign qualifications and training certificates" to the competent authority.
  • For professional qualifications from EU/EEA/Switzerland:
    You can submit the application and documents directly to the competent authority or to a point of single contact. You can also submit the application electronically via the Point of Single Contact.
  • The competent authority then compares your professional qualification from abroad with the German professional qualification and checks the equivalence. If your professional qualification is equivalent, it will be recognised. You will then receive the notice of equivalence by post or electronically (recognition notice).
  • If your professional qualification is not equivalent, it will not be recognised. You will then receive a notification of the differences in your professional qualifications. You then have the right to a compensatory measure: this can be the "specific competence test" or the "supplementary information". The responsible body will inform you about the options. If you successfully complete the compensatory measure, you will receive the certificate of equivalence.
  • With the decision of equivalence, you can apply for the permit for the corresponding trade. For this, you will have to submit a different application.
  • You can take legal action against the decision of the competent authority. The decision is then reviewed. We recommend that you first talk to the competent authority before taking legal action against the decision.
  • Freedom to provide services
    If you are established in a country of the EU, the EEA or Switzerland, you do not need recognition of your professional qualification for temporary and occasional work as a service provider in Germany. However, special requirements apply: You must report your work to the competent authority before the first activity. The notification (according to § 13a GewO) is made in a different procedure.
  • Procedure for ethnic German repatriates
    As a ethnic German repatriate, you can go through the recognition procedure either according to the laws mentioned here or according to the Federal Displaced Persons Act. You can decide for yourself.  

Federal Institute for Vocational Education and Training

Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

No authority found