jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.

Enter words here that describe what you are looking for (e.B. cut a tree) or a matter for citizens and companies (e.B. house construction, marriage).
Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Apply for a residence permit for a study-related internship EU


You can obtain a residence permit for a study-related traineeship EU if you have obtained a university degree in the last two years before submitting your application or are still studying in a third country leading to a university degree. For this purpose, a higher education institution is considered to be any educational institution which offers a degree comparable to a higher education degree that could be obtained in Germany. In this respect, the assessment recommendations of the Central Office for Foreign Education should be taken into account, see under further information.

If you have not yet reached the age of 18, the person entitled to custody must consent to your planned stay for the purpose of the study-related internship.

The residence permit for a study-related internship is a temporary residence title. It is issued for the agreed duration of the internship, but for a maximum of six months.

  • You have a recognised and valid passport or passport replacement and - if required for entry - an appropriate visa.
  • There is no interest in deportation against you.
  • Your stay does not endanger or impair the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany.
  • You have concluded an agreement with the host institution on participation in an internship.
  • The purpose of the internship is for you to acquire knowledge, practical skills and experience in a professional environment.
  • You are studying in a third country or have successfully completed your studies no more than two years before the date of application.
  • The traineeship is professionally equivalent to your university degree or studies.
  • The receiving institution undertakes to assume the costs incurred by public authorities for the foreigner's subsistence during the unauthorised stay in the Federal territory and for deportation up to six months after the end of the internship agreement.
  • Their livelihood is secured for the entire duration of the study-related internship.
  • Valid passport
  • Current biometric photo
  • Visa, if required
  • Proof of livelihood (e.g. proof of an internship allowance or blocked account at a bank)
  • Rental contract
  • Proof of health insurance
  • Proof of university degree or current studies in a third country
  • Internship agreement with the host institution
  • Declaration of cost absorption by the host institution

Issue of residence permit: EUR 100.00

Under certain conditions, a fee reduction or fee exemption may be considered.

- The residence permit should be applied for at least eight weeks before the expiry of your still valid visa.
- Objection period: 1 month

about six to eight weeks.

The foreigners authority responsible for the applicant's place of residence

- Forms: Forms can be obtained from your foreigners authority, possibly they are also offered online.
- Online procedure possible in some cases
- Written form required: yes
- Personal appearance necessary: yes

The residence permit must be applied for at the aliens' registration office responsible for your place of residence. The procedure is as follows:

  • Depending on the foreigners authority and your concerns, it may be possible to apply via the internet. Find out whether your foreigners authority offers electronic application for the residence permit.
  • If the application is only possible in person, make an appointment with the Aliens' Registration Office. During the appointment, your application will be accepted and your supporting documents will be checked (bring them with you to the appointment). Your fingerprints will be taken for the production of an electronic residence permit (eAT card).
  • In the case of an electronic application, the Aliens' Registration Office will contact you after receiving your online application to arrange an appointment at the Aliens' Registration Office if necessary. During the appointment, your documents will be checked (please bring them with you to the appointment) and your fingerprints will be taken for the production of the electronic residence permit (eAT card).
  • If your application is accepted, the Aliens' Registration Office will arrange for the eAT card to be produced.
  • After about six to eight weeks you can collect the eAT card from the Aliens' Registration Office.
  • The eAT card must always be collected in person.

There are fees for the issuing of the residence permit. The timing and form of payment vary depending on the authority.

Ministry of the Interior and for Local Affairs

of the State of Brandenburg

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Landkreis Harz - Sachgebiet Ausländerbehörde
Friedrich-Ebert-Straße 42
38820 Halberstadt, Stadt
03941 5970-4544
03941 5970-4160
Monday:08:00 - 12:00
13:00 - 16:00
Tuesday08:00 - 12:00
13:00 - 16:00
Wednesday08:00 - 12:00
13:00 - 16:00
Thursday08:00 - 12:00
13:00 - 16:00