jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.

Enter words here that describe what you are looking for (e.B. cut a tree) or a matter for citizens and companies (e.B. house construction, marriage).
Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Apply for recognition as a curative education nurse with a professional qualification from abroad


The profession of curative education nurse is regulated in Germany. This means that you must prove a certain qualification in order to be allowed to work in the profession. If you have a foreign certificate of training as a curative education nurse, you can work in this profession in Saxony-Anhalt under certain conditions.

To do this, you must submit an application with all the necessary documents to the competent state authority.

In the recognition procedure, the competent state authority compares your professional qualification from abroad with the professional qualification in Saxony-Anhalt. The procedure is called: Determination of equivalence. The equivalence is checked with the degree "State-approved curative education nurse", which is awarded in Saxony-Anhalt at technical schools for social work specializing in curative education.

After your application has been reviewed, you will receive feedback. If you lack professional qualifications for recognition, the notification will state the main differences. You can then take a compensatory measure.

An application for an examination of equivalence and the granting of state recognition as a curative education nurse can be submitted by all persons who are qualified to work as curative education nurses in their country of origin.

It is irrelevant what nationality you have or in which country you obtained your qualification.

State recognition for the profession of "state-approved curative education nurse" is granted if you meet the following requirements:

  • Equivalence of your professional qualification
  • They are entitled to practise the respective profession in the country of training
  • there are no significant differences between the proven professional qualifications and the corresponding professional qualification regulated by state law.
  • Application
  • a curriculum vitae signed by hand with a description of the educational and professional career,
  • Information on language courses, further education and training since entry into Germany,
  • proof of identity,
  • Confirmation of residence in Saxony-Anhalt,
  • certificate of name change,
  • school-leaving qualifications and training certificates obtained abroad as well as overviews of subjects and grades in the original language and translation,
  • evidence of relevant professional experience and other evidence of formal qualifications, where necessary to establish equivalence (original or certified copy),
  • a statement as to whether and to which body an application for a determination of equivalence has been submitted and whether a decision has already been issued
  • notices that have already been issued must also be attached.

You must submit certificates, attestations and personal evidence as officially certified copies. You must have the foreign-language documents and certificates translated by a generally sworn and publicly appointed translator.

The competent authority may ask you to provide further information on the content and duration of professional qualifications acquired abroad and on other professional qualifications within a reasonable period of time.

Fees of 25.00 to 600.00 euros are charged and depend on the effort involved in the recognition procedure

The competent authority must decide on your application within 3 months.

Note for further information on processing time:

The competent authority will acknowledge receipt of your application within one month. If the competent authority requires further documents from you, you will be informed of this in a letter.

Once you have submitted all the required documents, the authority will decide on the equivalence of your training and the German training within 3 months.

If you do not agree with the decision of the competent authority, you can file a lawsuit. For the exact details, please refer to the letters with the decision of the Saxony-Anhalt State Education Authority - Department of Vocational Schools.

Contact the State Education Office.

  • You submit a written application including all necessary documents in the form of officially certified copies and send it to the Saxony-Anhalt State Education Office.  
  • Subsequently, it will be checked whether your documents have been submitted in full. If this is not the case, you will be asked in writing to submit the relevant documents.                                         
  • The competent authority then checks: Is your professional qualification equivalent to the professional qualification in your federal state? For example, the content of the training and the duration of the training are important for the comparison. The competent authority shall also take into account your professional experience, other qualifications and qualifications.
  • The competent authority may then examine further prerequisites. If your professional qualification is equivalent and you meet all other requirements, your professional qualification will be recognised. You will then be allowed to work in Saxony-Anhalt as a curative education nurse.
  • Within 3 months of submitting the complete documents, you will be informed in writing by the competent authority whether recognition has been granted. Or whether there are deficits in qualification and therefore recognition cannot take place.        
  • If the competent authority cannot determine equivalence between your training and the German training, you will receive a notification with an explanation of the essential differences. To compensate for significant differences, you can make a compensatory measure. The competent authority will tell you what compensatory measure you can take.

  • If you successfully complete the compensatory measure, you will receive recognition.

  • You can take legal action against the decision of the competent authority within a certain period of time (e.g. file a lawsuit). The decision will then be reviewed. Details can be found in the information on legal remedies at the end of your decision. We recommend that you first talk to the competent authority before taking legal action against the decision.

You can have your educational qualifications assessed in advance. Further information can be found on the website of the Central Office for Foreign Education.

Ministry of Education

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Turmschanzenstraße 32
39114 Magdeburg, Landeshauptstadt
0391 56701