jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.

Enter words here that describe what you are looking for (e.B. cut a tree) or a matter for citizens and companies (e.B. house construction, marriage).
Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Applying for a change of surname in a marriage


There are many ways to determine the name. In some cases, special features must also be observed, e.g. for the naming of foreign spouses or if there are joint children born before the marriage. Therefore, get advice from the registry office, especially in these cases. At many registry offices, you can also request a leaflet by phone or e-mail or view or print it out on the Internet at your municipality.

As a spouse, you can keep your previous names. At the birth of the first child, you must then determine whether the child should receive your name or that of your spouse as the birth name. This declaration then also applies to the other children.

You also have the option of determining the birth name or the actual name of your spouse as the married name at the time of marriage or later – there is no deadline for this. As an actual name, the name from a previous marriage including a possible accompanying name is also considered.

The marriage name determination is irrevocable. Children receive the married name of their parents.

  • Identity card
  • If applicable, marriage certificate

There are no costs for determining the name during the marriage. For the later declaration there are costs, which you will find out at the registry office.

Please contact the registry office.

When you get married, you make a declaration to the registrar as to which name you and your spouse want to use in the future. If you want to change your name at a later date, please speak to the registry office in person.

Foreign spouses are generally subject to the naming rights of their home country. If (at least) one of the future spouses has his habitual residence in Germany, there is a right to choose between the law of the state to which the foreign spouse belongs and German law.

The spouse whose name has not become a married name may precede or append the married name with his or her maiden name or previous surname, provided that the married name is not already multi-part (accompanying names). If the birth name or previously used surname is multi-part, only a part can be added. Thus, this spouse has a double name. A later revocation is possible.

no technical approval

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

No authority found