jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.

Enter words here that describe what you are looking for (e.B. cut a tree) or a matter for citizens and companies (e.B. house construction, marriage).
Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Applying for phytosanitary certificates for the export of plants and plant products to countries outside the EU


During international trade in plants, plant products or other objects, plant diseases and pests can be spread. Such harmful organisms are at risk of spreading uncontrollably in a new environment and causing major economic damage. For these reasons, international trade in this area is subject to strict phytosanitary monitoring.

So if you want to export plants, plant products and other items to countries outside the European Union (EU), you need

  • a phytosanitary certificate (PGZ)
  • and, where appropriate, one or more pre-export certificates (VAZ)
  • or, in the case of import from a third country followed by export to a third country, a PGZ for re-export.

With the PGZ / VAZ, compliance with the phytosanitary import requirements of the respective recipient country is confirmed after prior inspection.

You must apply for one or more VAZ at the respective place of origin if

  • your consignment consists of partial consignments from areas of different plant health services of the federal states / EU Member States or
  • the origin of your consignment is not within the same jurisdiction of a plant health service as the place where necessary treatment of the consignment must be carried out.

The VAZ serve as the basis for the PGZ, which you can apply for at the responsible official plant health service in the federal state.

Upon successful inspection, both documents will confirm that the phytosanitary requirements of the respective importing country are complied with.

You will need the following information for the online form:

  • Addresses
    • of the applicant
    • the exporter
    • the postal and invoice recipient
  • Name of the consignee and the country of import
  • Origin
  • Means of transportation
  • Exporter's registration number
  • Place and date of inspection and contact person on site
  • Description of goods, botanical name and quantities
  • any treatments carried out, including protocols
  • if applicable, import permit from the importing country
  • if applicable, test reports from laboratory tests

Online service available: Yes

They shall apply for the required phytosanitary certificate or pre-export certificate and the necessary examinations.

The official plant health service of the federal state will examine the application and inform you of the next steps.

Federal Ministry of Food and Agriculture (BMEL)

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

No authority found