jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.

Enter words here that describe what you are looking for (e.B. cut a tree) or a matter for citizens and companies (e.B. house construction, marriage).
Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Applying for a gun ownership card for shooting clubs


In principle, you always need a permit to acquire and possess weapons and ammunition.

In general, firearms are objects that are intended for attack or defense, signaling, hunting, distance injection, marking, sport or play and in which projectiles are propelled through a barrel or in which solid bodies are fired in a targeted manner, the propelling energy of which is provided by muscle power or another energy source and can be stored or held by a locking device (e.g. crossbows, arrow launchers).

A distinction is made between firearms that require a permit and those that do not. You need a small firearms license to be allowed to carry unlicensed firearms. All weapons that are not alarm, irritant or signal weapons with a PTB mark in the circle are classified as requiring a permit. You will find a detailed list of weapons for which you require a weapons possession card in Annex 2 of the Weapons Act.

You must nominate a responsible person who must be reliable and personally suitable in terms of weapons law and who can provide evidence of the necessary expertise. This person does not have to be authorized to represent the company, i.e. not a member of the board of directors, for example. If the responsible person leaves the association, you must inform the competent authority immediately and appoint a new responsible person within 2 weeks. Otherwise, the competent authority will revoke your permit to purchase and possess weapons (weapons possession card).

It is recommended that you inform yourself in detail about the regulations of firearms law before submitting your application.

In order to obtain permission to acquire and possess weapons and ammunition requiring a permit, you must be a member of a recognized shooting sports association, be entered in the register of associations and provide evidence of the safe storage of weapons and ammunition. The responsible person appointed by you must

  • be of the appropriate age and
  • their reliability under firearms law,
  • their personal suitability and
  • their expertise in handling weapons and ammunition.
  • The club must be a member of a recognized shooting sports association and be entered in the register of associations.
  • The person responsible must be at least 25 years old. Exceptions apply to sport shooters.

    If the person responsible is under 25 years of age, they may be requested by the competent firearms authority to submit a specialist medical or psychological report/certificate on their mental aptitude. The responsible person must pay for the report/certificate themselves and send the original by post to the relevant firearms authority. A copy or e-mail will not be accepted.

    As a sport shooter, you must be at least 18 years old. Then you are entitled to purchase and possess firearms up to caliber 5.6 mm lfB (.22 l. r.) for rimfire ammunition with a maximum muzzle energy of 200 joules (J) and single-shot long guns with smooth barrels of caliber 12 or smaller.

    For other firearms, the minimum age for sport shooters is 21 years, provided that you can present a medical or psychological certificate confirming your mental aptitude.
  • The person responsible must prove their reliability under firearms law.

    The person responsible can be assessed as reliable under firearms law, among other things,
    • if they have not been sentenced to a prison sentence of at least 1 year within the last 10 years and have not been a member of or supported a prohibited organization in the last 10 years.
    • if it cannot be assumed that they misuse weapons or ammunition or handle them improperly, do not store these items carefully or hand them over to persons who are not authorized to do so.
    • if they have not been in preventive police custody more than once in the last 5 years with judicial authorization due to violence.
    • if they have not repeatedly or grossly violated the Weapons Act.
  • The person responsible must prove their personal suitability.

    The responsible person may be deemed personally unsuitable if, among other things
    • they are legally incompetent.
    • they are dependent on alcohol or other intoxicating substances, mentally ill or mentally retarded.
    • they suffer from serious illnesses, such as brain injuries, or physical impairments, such as amputations or severe visual impairment.
    • it can be assumed that they cannot handle weapons or ammunition carefully or properly or cannot store these objects carefully or that there is a concrete danger that they will endanger others or themselves.
  • The person responsible must prove that they have sufficient knowledge of weapons and ammunition and how to handle them (expertise).

    In order to obtain expertise in handling weapons and ammunition, they must take part in an appropriate training course. The course comprises a theoretical and practical part. At the end of the course, an examination is taken before an authorized examination board. If the examination is passed, the responsible person receives proof of the weapons and ammunition for which the certificate of competence has been acquired. The responsible person can also only obtain the certificate of competence for the weapons and ammunition that they wish to acquire and possess as a shooting club.

    The responsible person does not have to take a separate competence test if they
    • the hunting examination or an equivalent examination or
    • has passed a journeyman's examination for the gunsmith's trade or
    • has worked full-time in the firearms and ammunition trade for at least 3 years.

In these cases, only suitable evidence must be submitted.

  • You must prove that you can store weapons and ammunition safely.

    You must store weapons and ammunition securely. This generally means that only the person responsible has access to weapons and ammunition, for example by carrying the key with them at all times or keeping it safe in some other way. If you do not store your weapons and ammunition securely, you are committing an administrative offense for which a fine of up to EUR 10,000 can be imposed. In addition, the reliability of the person responsible under firearms law may be called into question and, as a shooting club, your firearms possession card may be withdrawn.

    When submitting your application, you must provide information about the storage location and the container in which you wish to store weapons and ammunition. In principle, you can use the following guidelines as a guide:
    • You must store ammunition requiring a permit in a sheet steel cabinet/container with a swing bolt lock.
    • You need a gun cabinet to store long guns and handguns that require a permit as well as ammunition that requires a permit. The type of gun cabinet you need depends on the number and type of weapons and/or ammunition you wish to purchase and own.
      • You may store an unlimited number of long guns, up to 5 handguns and ammunition in a gun cabinet with resistance grade 0 in accordance with EN 1143-1 weighing up to 200 kilograms.
      • You may store an unlimited number of long weapons, up to 10 short weapons and ammunition in a gun cabinet with resistance grade 0 in accordance with EN 1143-1 weighing over 200 kilograms.
      • You may store an unlimited number of long weapons and handguns as well as ammunition in a gun cabinet with resistance grade 1 in accordance with EN 1143-1.
    • The following regulations apply to the location where you may set up the gun cabinet:
      • If you live in an apartment building, it is not permitted to place the gun cabinet in the cellar if each resident only has a so-called cellar locker that is only secured by a door with a padlock.
      • You may also store up to 3 long guns in buildings that are not permanently inhabited, such as a hunting lodge or a weekend house. However, you need a gun cabinet with resistance grade 1 for this.
      • If you live in a shared household with another gun owner, you may store the guns in a shared gun cabinet.
    • It is also permitted to store weapons and ammunition with a weapons dealer. You must provide appropriate proof of this.
  • Identity card or passport (copy)
  • Extract from the register of associations
  • Proof of expertise (responsible person)
  • Proof of storage, e.g. purchase contract for a gun cabinet and/or photos of the gun cabinet and installation site
  • If applicable, a specialist medical or psychological certificate confirming the mental aptitude of the person responsible (if under 21 years of age for sport shooters or under 25 years of age for other persons)

Please contact the weapons authority in your district. If you live in Dessau-Roßlau, please also contact the weapons authority. If you live in Halle or Magdeburg, please contact the respective police department.

Online services available: not known

Forms available: not known

Written form required: Yes

Informal application possible: No

Personal appearance necessary: No

You must have permission toacquisition and possession of weapons and/or ammunition requiring a permit from the competent weapons authority. Submit the application together with the required documents.

The weapons authority will grant you the permit if you meet the necessary requirements.

Bavarian State Ministry of the Interior, for Sport and Integration

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Landkreis Harz - Sachgebiet Waffen/Jagd/Fischerei
Friedrich-Ebert-Straße 42
38820 Halberstadt, Stadt

Office building III, room 307e

Friedrich-Ebert-Straße 42
38820 Halberstadt, Stadt
Monday:08:00 - 12:00
13:00 - 16:00
Tuesday08:00 - 12:00
13:00 - 16:00
Wednesday08:00 - 12:00
13:00 - 16:00
Thursday08:00 - 12:00
13:00 - 16:00
  • Application for the issue of a firearms permit

  • Notification of acquisition and transfer of firearms - legal entity