jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.

Enter words here that describe what you are looking for (e.B. cut a tree) or a matter for citizens and companies (e.B. house construction, marriage).
Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Apply for a residence permit for the reunification of other family members with a German


As another family member of a German, you can obtain a residence permit for family reunification if your stay in Germany is necessary to avoid exceptional hardship.

The residence permit is a temporary residence permit and is usually issued for at least one year. You can have your residence permit extended upon application.

  • You are a citizen of a country outside the EU or the EEA.
  • The person you are joining is a German citizen and usually resides in Germany.
  • They belong to the group of other family members of a German, i.e. they are neither his spouse nor a minor unmarried child. Other family members include, for example, adult unmarried children, siblings, parents, parents-in-law, grandparents, uncles, aunts, nephews, nieces, sisters-in-law, foster children. Fathers of biological German children who are not married to the mother also belong to the eligible group of persons.
  • There is a particular case of hardship, for example because your German family member is dependent on your help due to illness, disability or need for care.

Please note: Unfavorable conditions in your home country do not constitute a case of hardship.

  • Their reunification serves to establish family cohabitation with the German (e.g. shared apartment). In the case of a spatial separation only due to work and training or a community of assistance or care due to accommodation in a nursing home, a family partnership can also be affirmed if you maintain regular contact with the German that goes beyond a mere visit.
  • You can secure your livelihood and health insurance coverage for the duration of your stay without using public services.
  • There is no interest in expulsion against you.
  • Their stay does not endanger or impair the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany.
  • Recognized and valid identity document (e.g. passport or passport substitute)
  • Up-to-date biometric photo in the passport (45 x 35 mm)
  • Visa, if required for entry
  • Proof of kinship
  • Justification of exceptional hardship
  • Proof of securing a livelihood (e.g. from one's own assets, payment of a security deposit into a blocked account, bank guarantee, declaration of commitment)
  • Proof of health insurance coverage (e.g. confirmation of health insurance coverage or insurance policy).
  • In the case of minors: consent of all persons with custody to the planned stay (declaration of consent); if the parents with custody are unable to submit the application jointly for their child, a written power of attorney from the absent parent is required; if custody is granted to only one parent, the signature of that parent is sufficient

The documents and information must always be submitted in German. In individual cases, the Foreigners' Registration Office may require less or more evidence.


  • 100.00 for adult applicants
  • 50,00 Euro for underage applicants


Additional fees may apply for the issuance of the residence permit in the form of the electronic residence permit (eAT card), which can also be used as electronic proof of identity.

The timing and form of fee collection and payment vary depending on the authority.

In certain cases, fee reductions or exemptions may be considered (e.g. for persons entitled to asylum or recognised refugees). Lower fees may apply for Turkish nationals.

Application period: 6 weeks to 8 weeks

Note (for more information on the deadline):

The extension should be applied for at least eight weeks before the expiry of your valid residence permit.

The residence permit is a temporary residence permit and is issued for at least one year. An extension must be applied for at the Foreigners' Registration Office in good time before the validity expires.

approx. 6 weeks to 8 weeks

Note for further information on processing time:

The processing time may vary depending on the workload of the Foreigners' Registration Office.

It takes about 4 weeks to 6 weeks for Bundesdruckerei to produce the electronic residence permit.

  • Objection to the decision of the Foreigners' Registration Office within one month of notification
  • Bringing an action before the court named in the notice of opposition if the objection is not upheld

Foreigners' Registration Office

Forms available: No

Written form required: No

Informal application possible: Yes

Personal appearance required: Yes

  • Find out whether your Foreigners' Registration Office allows you to apply online or has a special application form.
  • If you have not yet reached the age of 18, you are not allowed to submit the application yourself, but need a representative (as a rule, the application is made by the parents with custody).
  • If the application is only possible in person, make an appointment at the Foreigners' Registration Office. In the case of an online application, the Foreigners' Registration Office will contact you after receipt of your application to make an appointment.
  • If you have not yet reached the age of 18, you must be accompanied by at least one representative during the personal interview. If the parents with custody are unable to appear in person, a written power of attorney must be provided for the application.
  • During the appointment, your identity and documents will be checked (please bring your documents, if possible in the original, with you to the appointment).
  • If your application is granted, your fingerprints will be taken in the form of an electronic residence permit (eATKarte) for the production of the residence permit.
  • The Foreigners' Registration Office commissions the production of the eAT card from Bundesdruckerei. After completion, you will receive information and can pick up the eAT card from the responsible office. The eAT card must always be picked up in person.
  • If your application is rejected, you will receive a rejection notice.
  • You are not entitled to a residence permit. The Foreigners' Registration Office has a discretion (a margin of appreciation) as to whether it will grant family reunification.
  • The residence permit entitles the holder to pursue gainful employment.
  • The procedure at the Foreigners' Registration Office is usually carried out in German.
  • All information provided to the Foreigners' Registration Office should be correct and complete to the best of our knowledge and belief so that the request can be processed without major delays.
  • Incorrect or incomplete information can slow down the procedure and be detrimental to the persons concerned. In the event of an emergency, incorrect or incomplete information that is not completed or corrected in time vis-à-vis the Foreigners' Registration Office may result in the revocation of residence rights already granted, a fine, imprisonment of up to three years or expulsion from the federal territory.
  • Due to the complexity of the right of residence, this description is for information purposes only and is not legally binding.

Ministry of the Interior and Municipal Affairs of the State of Brandenburg

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

No authority found