jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.

Enter words here that describe what you are looking for (e.B. cut a tree) or a matter for citizens and companies (e.B. house construction, marriage).
Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Apply for recognition as a farrier with a foreign professional qualification


The profession of farrier is regulated in Germany. This means that in order for you to be able to work as a farrier in Germany, you need state recognition. Even with a professional qualification from abroad, you can obtain state recognition.

In the recognition procedure, the competent authority compares your professional qualification from abroad with the German professional qualification and checks the equivalence of the two qualifications.

In addition to the equivalence of the professional qualification, you must also meet other requirements for state recognition. In particular, they must prove professional experience, regular further training and vocational pedagogical and work-pedagogical knowledge. To do this, you must already have state recognition as a farrier. You must also demonstrate at least 5 years of professional experience in the profession and participation in the required training events.

You must also prove the reliability required to work as a farrier.
You can also apply for the procedure from abroad.

  • Your professional qualification is equivalent to the German professional qualification as a farrier.
  • You have state recognition as a farrier in Germany.
  • You have at least 5 years of professional experience as a farrier.
  • They have taken part in the necessary training events on an annual basis.
  • They have the necessary vocational pedagogical and work-pedagogical knowledge.
  • Personal suitability: You are reliable for working as a farrier and have not violated animal welfare.
  • Proof of identity (ID card or passport)
  • Marriage certificate (if your name has changed due to marriage)
  • Curriculum vitae
  • Proof of your professional qualification (e.g. certificates, professional certificate)
  • Proof of state recognition as a farrier
  • Proof of training (e.g. location, duration and content of the training)
  • Proof of your relevant professional experience as a farrier
  • Proof of other relevant knowledge, skills and abilities (e.g. attendance of further training events, proof of vocational pedagogical and work-pedagogical knowledge)
  • Have you ever applied for recognition? Then indicate to which office you submitted the application.
  • Proof of personal aptitude: official certificate of good conduct from Germany. Or: confirmation from the country of training that you have not violated animal welfare.
  • Do you come from a third country and do not yet live or work in the EU, the EEA or Switzerland? Then you have to prove that you want to work in the profession in Germany. Proof includes, for example, applications for a job, invitations to job interviews or a location note from the Central Service Centre for Professional Recognition (ZSBA).

If your documents are not available in German, you must submit German translations of your documents. Translations must be carried out by translators who are publicly appointed or authorised.

The costs generally depend on the effort required for processing.

In addition, additional costs may arise (e.g. for translations or certifications). These costs vary from person to person.

You can take legal action against the decision of the competent authority within a certain period of time (e.g. file an objection). The decision will then be reviewed. Details can be found in the information on legal remedies at the end of your decision. We recommend that you first talk to the competent authority before taking legal action against the decision.


You submit an application for state recognition as a farrier to the competent authority. To do this, you must already have state recognition as a farrier in Germany.

The competent authority will then check whether your training corresponds to the German training and whether all other requirements are met. State recognition can only be granted if your training is equivalent to the German training.

Certificates treated as such

Some certificates (qualifications) from abroad are equated with the examination to become a farrier apprentice without an individual equivalence test. The equivalent examination certificates are listed in Annex 2 of the Farriery Recognition Ordinance.

Examination of equivalence

If your examination certificate is not automatically equated, the competent authority will compare your professional qualification with the German professional qualification. The competent authority will check whether your professional qualification is equivalent. The professional qualification is equivalent if there are no significant differences between your foreign professional qualification and the German professional qualification.

Possible results of the test

If your professional qualification is equivalent, your foreign professional qualification will be recognised. The competent authority can confirm the result to you in writing. You still have to meet the other requirements. Then you will receive state recognition as a farrier or farrier.

Are there any significant differences between your professional qualification and the German professional qualification? Perhaps you can compensate for the differences through your professional practice, other knowledge, skills or abilities. You must prove that you have professional experience. Knowledge, skills and abilities must be certified by an authority of the state in which you acquired the knowledge or skills.

However, it may be that the essential differences cannot be compensated for by these knowledge, skills and abilities. In this case, your foreign professional qualification will not be recognised. You are then not allowed to work as a farrier in Germany.

However, the competent authority will tell you the essential differences and why you cannot compensate for the essential differences through your professional practice. You can take a compensatory measure to compensate for the significant differences.

Compensatory measures

There are various compensatory measures:

  • Adaptation period: The adaptation period lasts a maximum of three years.
  • Aptitude test: The aptitude test examines the areas in which significant differences have been identified.

You can choose between an adaptation period or an aptitude test. If you successfully complete the compensatory measure and meet all other requirements, you will receive state recognition as a farrier.

Procedure for ethnic German repatriates

As a late repatriate, you can go through the recognition procedure either according to the laws mentioned here or according to the Federal Expellees Act. You can decide for yourself. The competent authority will advise you on which procedure is right for you.

Federal Ministry of Food and Agriculture

Federal Institute for Vocational Education and Training

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

No authority found