jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.

Enter words here that describe what you are looking for (e.B. cut a tree) or a matter for citizens and companies (e.B. house construction, marriage).
Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Apply for a shooting permit


You can apply for permission for a single launch or a permanent permit.

In general, firearms are objects intended for attack or defence, signalling, hunting, distance injection, marking, sport or play, in which projectiles are propelled through a barrel.

It is recommended that you inform yourself in detail about the regulations of the weapons law before applying.

If possible, you must indicate in the application where you want to shoot, for example address, district. If you shoot on behalf of an enclosure operator, you must present his permit/order and, if necessary, provide further information about the enclosure operator.

You don't need permission to shoot with a gun if you

  • want to shoot in a shooting range, for example of your shooting club;
  • want to shoot as a hunter in the authorized practice of hunting or want to shoot animals that are subject to nature conservation law and have a corresponding permit from the nature conservation authority;
  • want to shoot as a traditional marksman at an event where it is customary to carry weapons on a special occasion and the head of the Customs Shooting Association has been granted a valid exemption permit in accordance with Section 16 (3) of the Weapons Act;
  • want to shoot with a long gun at shooting ranges at an approved sporting event, for example, a biathlon competition;
  • weapons that can only fire cartridge ammunition, want to use them during a theatre performance or the like, or to scare away harmful birds;
  • want to shoot with compressed air, spring-loaded guns and CO2weapons with less than 7.5 joules, marked with an "F" sign, with the consent of the holder of the domiciliary right in a fenced area, for example for paintball activities;
  • want to indicate the start or start of a competition at sporting events on behalf of the organisers with alarm firearms or signal weapons, provided that such signalling is required;
  • fire signal weapons during emergency and rescue exercises, if this is part of the exercise.

You may be denied a shooting permit if you have not lived in Germany within the last 5 years.

To obtain the shooting permit, you must

  • have the appropriate age, and
  • Your need,
  • Your reliability in terms of weapons law,
  • Your personal suitability,
  • a liability insurance policy that covers personal injury and property damage in the amount of 1 million euros


If you handle weapons and ammunition without a gun permit, this can constitute a criminal offense.

  • You must have a valid permit to acquire and possess a weapon (e.g. hunting license or gun possession card).
  • You must be at least 18 years old.
  • You need to prove that it is necessary for you to shoot with a gun (need).

    You must give a credible reason to the competent weapons authority. As a rule, a credible reason is accepted if you
    • want to shoot animals for (game) meat production in a (game) enclosure;
    • are fruit growers or winegrowers or operate a fish farm and want to drive away (scare away) harmful birds;
    • Veterinarian.

You can also indicate other needs, which will then be assessed by the competent authority.

  • You must prove your reliability under weapons law.

    The issuance of a shooting permit requires your reliability. Among other things, you can be assessed as unreliable under weapons law,
    • if you have been sentenced to at least 1 year's imprisonment within the last 10 years and have been a member of or supported a banned organization in the last 10 years.
    • if it can be assumed that you are misusing or improperly handling weapons or ammunition, do not store these items carefully or leave them to persons who are not authorized to do so.
    • if you have been in preventive police custody more than once in the last 5 years with judicial authorization for violent acts.
    • if you have repeatedly or grossly violated the gun law.
  • You will need to prove your personal suitability.

    Among other things, you may be assessed as personally unsuitable if:
    • You are legally incapacitated.
    • You are addicted to alcohol or other intoxicating substances, mentally ill or debilitated.
    • You suffer from serious illnesses, such as brain injuries, or physical impairments, such as amputations or severe visual impairments.
    • it can be assumed that you are unable to handle weapons or ammunition carefully or properly or that you are unable to store these items carefully or that there is a concrete risk that you will endanger others or yourself.
  • You must have taken out liability insurance that covers personal injury and property damage at a flat rate of 1 million euros.
  • Identity card or passport (copy)
  • Weapon possession card or hunting license
  • Proof of a need
    • For example, an order from an enclosure operator, activity as a wine/fruit grower
    • Admission as a veterinarian
  • Proof of liability insurance in the amount of 1 million euros (lump sum for personal injury and property damage)

You must apply for permission to shoot at the relevant weapons authority. Submit the application along with the required documents.

The weapons authority will give you permission if you meet the necessary requirements.

To be able to fill out the application faster, you can use the NWR identification numbers (NWR ID):

  • Your PersonalNWR-ID (P- or F-NWR-ID) for your personal information
  • the permitNWR-ID for the firearms permit (E-NWR-ID)
  • the weapon or weapon part NWR ID (W or T-NWR ID)

You can obtain the NWR IDs upon application from the responsible weapons authority.

Bavarian State Ministry of the Interior, Sport and Integration

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

No authority found