jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.

Enter words here that describe what you are looking for (e.B. cut a tree) or a matter for citizens and companies (e.B. house construction, marriage).
Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Apply for recognition as an urban planner with professional qualification from abroad


The profession of urban planner is regulated in Germany. The job title is particularly protected. This means: You need an entry in the list of architects or city planners if you want to use the professional title "city planner" in Germany.

You can also apply for jobs on the job market without being registered in the corresponding list of architects or city planners and carry out the activities of a city planner. However, they are then not allowed to use the legally protected professional title "Stadtplanerin" and "Stadtplaner".

Even with a degree obtained abroad, you can apply for registration in Germany in the list of architects or city planners. This will be arranged by the competent state chamber of architects after examination of your documents.

The responsible state chamber of architects compares your professional qualification from abroad with the professional qualification in the selected federal state. The procedure is called: equivalence determination.

  • Equivalence of your professional qualification
  • You must have at least 2 years of professional experience as an urban planner.

In order to use the professional title "Stadtplanerin" or "Stadtplaner", you must fulfill other requirements in addition to the equivalence of your professional qualification. You may have to prove these requirements at a later date:

  • Your place of business or main residence must be in the respective federal state or your predominant work must take place there. Or: You want to live or work in the federal state soon.
  • Personal suitability: you are reliable for work as a city planner and have no criminal record.
  • Resume
  • Proof of identity (identity card or passport)
  • Proof of your professional qualification (e.g. certificates, professional diploma)
  • Proof of the content and duration of your education (e.g. Diploma Supplement, Transcript of Records)
  • Proof of further education and certificates of professional practice
  • Additional evidence of relevant professional experience and other proof of qualifications
  • Declaration of whether an application for equivalence has already been submitted
  • Certificate of establishment or registration certificate of residence in the respective federal state
  • If applicable: proof of your personal suitability (for example, certificate of good conduct, criminal record extract, certificate of good standing)
  • Perhaps: Certificate evaluation of the Central Office for Foreign Education (ZAB)

If your documents are not in German, you must submit German translations of your documents. The translations must be done by translators who are publicly appointed or authorized.

There is no deadline.

Processing Time: 3 Months
Note for further information on the processing time: You will receive the confirmation of receipt within one month after submitting your application. A decision on your application will be made no later than 3 months after receipt of your complete documents. The deadline can be extended by one month.

- Appeal
- For more information on how to file an appeal, please refer to the decision on your application
- Action before the administrative court

State Chambers of Architects

The application for registration in the list of architects or urban planners is submitted to the respective Chamber of Architects.

- First, you submit your application and the required documents to the Chamber of Architects of the federal state in which you wish to work.
- If necessary, you will be asked to supply any missing documents.
- The competent body will carry out an equivalence check. In this process, the competent body checks whether your foreign professional qualification is equivalent to the German professional qualification as an urban planner.
- If your professional qualification is recognized and you meet the other requirements, you will be entered in the list of architects or city planners. You can then use the professional title "city planner" in Germany. You will receive a certificate for this.

If significant differences are found, the equivalence of your professional qualification as a city planner will not be certified. Then the following happens:

- You will receive a statement of reasons.
- You can take a compensatory measure to prove the missing knowledge. You can often choose between an adaptation course or an aptitude test.
- If you successfully complete the compensatory measure and meet the other requirements, you are entered in the list of architects. You are then allowed to use the professional title "Stadtplanerin" or "Stadtplaner".
You can take legal action (for example, file an objection) against the decision of the competent body within a certain period of time. The decision will then be reviewed. Details on this can be found in the appeal instructions at the end of your decision. We recommend that you first talk to the responsible office before taking legal action against the decision.

Ministry of Economics, Tourism, Agriculture and Forestry of the State of Saxony-Anhalt

Federal Institute for Vocational Education and Training (BIBB)

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

No authority found