jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.

Enter words here that describe what you are looking for (e.B. cut a tree) or a matter for citizens and companies (e.B. house construction, marriage).
Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Apply for a driving licence


You apply for a driving licence for the first time if you are not yet in possession of a driving licence. Later extensions of your driving licence build on this.

Driving licences are divided into certain categories. Driving licences in categories AM, A, A1, A2, B, BE, L and T are issued for an indefinite period. For categories C1, C1E, C, CE, D1, D1E, D and DE, the driving licence shall be issued for a maximum of five years.

Your driving licence is proven by the driving licence.

To obtain your driving licence for the first time, you must complete theoretical and practical training in a driving school. In addition, you must take a theoretical and a practical driving licence examination (exception for class L, here only theoretical training and examination).

Note: Already with the beginning of the training in the driving school you should apply for the driving license.

You can submit the required application to the driving licence authority responsible for your place of residence at the earliest six months before reaching the minimum age applicable to the desired driving licence class. The competent authority shall then examine whether there are any doubts about your suitability to drive motor vehicles. If there are no concerns, the Technical Inspection Centre will be commissioned to test your ability to drive motor vehicles.

The acceptance of the theoretical examination can take place at the earliest three months and that of the practical examination at the earliest one month before reaching the minimum age. There must be at least one month between the practical and theoretical examinations.

If you do not pass these exams, you can usually repeat them after two weeks at the earliest. The number of repetitions is not limited.

Note: Young people in Germany can already drive class B motor vehicles under accompaniment from their 17th birthday ("Accompanied driving at 17"). To do this, you must appoint an accompanying person who

  • is at least 30 years old,
  • has been in possession of a category B driving licence or equivalent for five consecutive years, and
  • has a maximum of one point in the driving aptitude register in Flensburg.

Note: In Brandenburg, Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania, Saxony, Saxony-Anhalt and Thuringia, young people can acquire the moped driver's license at the age of 15.

The driving licence will be issued to you for the respective class if you

  • have their normal place of residence in Germany,
  • are suitable for driving motor vehicles,
  • have been trained to drive motor vehicles in a driving school,
  • have demonstrated their ability to drive motor vehicles in a theoretical and practical test,
  • be able to provide first aid and
  • do not have a driving licence of this class issued in a Member State of the European Union or another State party to the Agreement on the European Economic Area.

In addition, a certain minimum age must be met for the class applied for:

  • Classes AM, A1, L and T: 16 years (AM also 15 years in the countries of the pilot project)
  • Class B: 18 years
  • Class B, BE for "Accompanied driving from 17": 17 years
  • Classes A2, B, BE, C1, C1E: 18 years
  • Classes D1, D1E, C, CE: 21 years
  • Direct access class A, classes D and DE: 24 years

For all classes:

  • valid identity card, valid passport or other identification document
  • up-to-date, biometric photograph in the format 45x35mm in portrait format, frontal shot, with neutral background without headgear
  • Proof of training in first aid
  • Name of the owner and address of your driving school

Additionally for classes AM, A1, A2, A, B, BE, L or T:

  • Proof of an eye test (optician or ophthalmologist)

Additionally for classes C, C1, CE, C1E, D, D1, DE, D1E:

  • Ophthalmological opinion (certificate of an examination of vision), not older than two years if the application is submitted
  • Medical opinion (certificate of physical and mental fitness), not older than one year if the application is submitted

Additionally for classes D, D1, DE, D1E:

  • Certificate of good conduct Document type "O"
  • Expert opinions on resilience, orientation, concentration, attention and reaction performance (function and performance test)

Additionally for class B in "Accompanied driving at 17":

  • Copy of the identity card of all accompanying persons (on both sides)
  • Copy of the driving licence of all accompanying persons (on both sides)

Application fees:

  • when issuing a probationary driving licence: EUR 43.40
  • Issue of a driving licence without a probationary period: EUR 42.60
  • when issued as "Accompanied Driving at 17": Fees depend on the number of accompanying persons

Depending on the driving licence class, further costs are incurred for passing the tests.

You must also expect costs for direct shipping to your address.

  • Application for a first licence: At the earliest six months before reaching the minimum age applicable to the desired category of driving licence
  • Taking a theoretical examination: Within twelve months of receipt of your test order by the Technical Testing Centre, otherwise the test order will expire
  • Taking the practical exam: Within twelve months of passing the theoretical exam

Contact the driver's license office of your county or county-level city.

Forms: yes

Online procedure possible: Depending on the competent driving licence authority

Written form required: yes

Personal appearance required: Depending on the competent driving licence authority

As a rule, you must apply for your desired driving licence in person.

  • Depending on the federal state, you can submit the application for the first issue of a driving licence with the required documents and information.
    • at your local driving licence authority,
    • at the Citizens' Office responsible for you or
    • apply to another competent authority/body under state law.
  • When applying, you must indicate at which driving school you will be trained.
  • The driving licence authority will then determine whether there are any concerns about your suitability. This takes a certain amount of time, which is why you should submit the application at the beginning of the driving school training.
  • If only the required driving licence examination has to be taken, the production of a driving licence will be commissioned from Bundesdruckerei. The competent technical inspection body shall be entrusted with carrying out its test. From this point on, you have one year to take the exam.
  • After you have successfully passed both the theoretical and the possibly required practical examination, you will receive the card driving licence
    • either directly from your examiner,
    • from the driving licence authority, or
    • from Bundesdruckerei. Until you receive the card driver's license, you will receive a provisional driver's license from your examiner.

Note: When a driving licence is first issued, it is issued on a trial basis, with the exception of categories AM, L and T. The probationary period lasts two years from the date of issue. If you commit one or two less serious offences (including both criminal offences and administrative offences) during the probationary period, which must be entered in the driving aptitude register, the driving licence authority will order an advanced seminar. The probationary period is then extended by a further two years.

You must take the practical examination at the place of your main residence or at the place of your education or training, your studies or your job. Evidence must be provided for the relocation of the test site. The application for this can be submitted to the driving licence authority.

Federal Ministry of Transport and Digital Infrastructure

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Landkreis Harz - Ordnungsamt
Friedrich-Ebert-Straße 42
38820 Halberstadt, Stadt
03941 5970-4509
03941 5970-4160
Monday:08:00 - 12:00
13:00 - 16:00
Tuesday08:00 - 12:00
13:00 - 16:00
Wednesday08:00 - 12:00
13:00 - 16:00
Thursday08:00 - 12:00
13:00 - 16:00