jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.

Enter words here that describe what you are looking for (e.B. cut a tree) or a matter for citizens and companies (e.B. house construction, marriage).
Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Residence permit for the purpose of training: Applying for an extension


If you have a residence permit for the purpose of vocational training and further education that will soon expire, you must apply for an extension of your residence permit in good time.

The same requirements must be met for the extension of the residence permit as for the initial issue. In principle, your residence permit can be extended until the end of your training or further education if the training or further education relationship continues and you are expected to complete it successfully.

The residence permit can only be extended if the approval of the Federal Employment Agency is still valid. The Foreigners' Registration Office checks this in an internal procedure and obtains approval again if necessary.

An extension is not possible if this was already ruled out by the immigration authority when the permit was issued or when it was last extended.

You are permitted to work during your qualified vocational training. However, your residence permit can only be extended if the successful completion of your vocational training is not jeopardized by the pursuit of gainful employment.

  • Your livelihood (including health insurance) is secured for the entire duration of the training or further education.
  • The Federal Employment Agency may have to re-examine the employment law requirements and approve the employment (this is usually arranged by the Aliens Department).
  • If you have not yet reached the age of 18, a person authorized to take care of you must consent to the extension of your stay in Germany.
  • Your stay in Germany must not be contrary to reasons of public safety and order. There is no interest in deporting you.
  • Recognized and valid identity document (e.g. passport or passport substitute)
  • Current residence permit
  • Current biometric photo in passport format (45 x 35 mm)
  • Proof of health insurance cover (e.g. confirmation of health insurance cover or insurance policy)
  • Training or further education contract
  • Approval from the Federal Employment Agency, if this has already expired (usually obtained from the immigration office)
  • In the case of qualified vocational training: Proof of sufficient knowledge of the German language (e.g. language certificate, German school, training or university certificates, proof of successful participation in the integration course, confirmation from the training company of sufficient language skills for the intended vocational training, confirmation of registration for a job-related German language course)
  • Proof of means of subsistence (e.g. proof of income, training or employment contract, pension certificate, proof of receipt of benefits such as parental or child benefit, maintenance payments)
  • In the case of minors: consent of the person with parental authority to the extended stay
  • If you are obliged to attend an integration course: Proof that you have completed an integration course or that you have been integrated into society and social life in some other way. If no integration course has yet been completed, the immigration authority may refuse to extend the residence permit or extend it for one year only until the course has been successfully completed or proof has been provided that integration into social and community life has taken place elsewhere.

The documents and information must always be submitted in German. In individual cases, the foreigners authority may require less or further proof.

Cost amount (fixed):

  • 96.00 euros for a further stay of up to three months
  • 93.00 euros for a further stay of more than three months


Additional fees may apply for the issuing of a residence permit in the form of an electronic residence permit (eAT card), which can also be used as electronic proof of identity.

The time and form of fee collection and payment vary depending on the authority.

In certain cases, fee reductions or exemptions may apply (e.g. for persons entitled to asylum or recognized refugees). Lower fees may apply for Turkish nationals.

Duration (for span): 6 to 8 before the visa expires

Note (for further information on validity):

The extension should be applied for at least eight weeks before your valid residence permit expires.

Duration (in the case of span): 6 to 3

Note (for further information on the deadline):

In the event of an extension, your residence permit will be limited in time again. The duration of the time limit usually depends on the duration of the training or further education.

Duration (for span): approx. 6 to 8 weeks

Note for further information on the processing time:

The processing time may vary depending on the workload of the immigration office.

The production of the electronic residence permit by the Bundesdruckerei takes about 4 to 6 weeks.

- Online procedure occasionally possible
- Written form required: yes
- Personal appearance required: yes

  • You must apply to extend your residence permit before your current residence permit expires.
  • Find out whether your foreigners authority allows you to apply online or has a special application form.
  • If you can only apply in person, make an appointment at the immigration office. If you apply online, the immigration office will contact you after receiving your application to arrange an appointment.
  • During the appointment, your identity and documents will be checked (please bring your documents to the appointment, in the original if possible).
  • If the approval of the Federal Employment Agency needs to be renewed, the Foreigners' Registration Office will usually obtain this in an internal administrative procedure.
  • If your application is approved, your electronic residence permit (eAT card) will be renewed. Your fingerprints will be taken at the immigration office for the renewal. You must also provide a signature.
  • The Foreigners' Registration Office will commission the Bundesdruckerei to produce the eAT card. After completion, you will receive information and can collect the eAT card from the relevant office. The card must always be collected in person.
  • If the purpose of your stay changes, you must inform the relevant immigration authority immediately.
  • If your application is rejected, you will receive a notice of rejection.
  • During the validity of a residence permit for in-company training and further education, it is generally possible to change to another qualified vocational training program. If the purpose of your stay changes, you must inform the relevant immigration authority immediately. If the requirements for this are met, it is possible to change to a residence permit for employment as a skilled worker, for employment with extensive practical vocational knowledge, for studies or other purposes for which there is a legal entitlement.
  • After successfully completing qualified vocational training, the residence permit can be extended for up to twelve months in order to look for a job.
  • If the qualified vocational training or further training ends prematurely for reasons for which the person concerned is not responsible, they may be given the opportunity to look for another training place for a period of up to six months.
  • The procedure is usually carried out in German. If your knowledge of German is insufficient, it is advisable to speak to a person who can act as a translator.
  • All information provided to the Foreigners' Registration Office should be correct and complete to the best of your knowledge and belief so that your application can be processed without major delays.
  • Incorrect or incomplete information can slow down the procedure and be detrimental to the person concerned. In serious cases, incorrect or incomplete information that is not completed or corrected in good time vis-à-vis the immigration authority can result in the revocation of residence rights that have already been granted, a fine, a prison sentence of up to three years or expulsion from the federal territory.
  • Due to the complexity of residence law, this description is for information purposes only and is not legally binding.

Ministry of the Interior and Municipal Affairs of the State of Brandenburg

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

No authority found