jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.

Enter words here that describe what you are looking for (e.B. cut a tree) or a matter for citizens and companies (e.B. house construction, marriage).
Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Apply for an extension of the residence permit for a study-related internship EU


If you have a residence permit for a period of less than six months to carry out a study-related internship EU and wish to extend your internship, you must apply for its extension in good time before the expiry of the validity of the residence permit.

For the extension of the residence permit, the same conditions must be met and the same documents must be submitted as when the residence permit was first issued. A prerequisite is that the maximum duration of the residence permit of six months has not yet been exhausted.

If you have not yet reached the age of 18, you will also need the consent of your legal guardian for the extension.

  • You are currently studying in a third country (outside the EU or EEA) or have successfully completed your studies no more than two years before applying.
  • You would like to extend the internship agreement.
  • The internship provider extends the declaration of assumption of costs (obligation to assume costs that public authorities may incur for your livelihood during your unauthorized stay in Germany or for your deportation up to six months after the end of the internship).
  • The internship continues to correspond to your university degree or ongoing studies in terms of subject and level.
  • You can secure your livelihood and health insurance coverage without using public services.
  • There is no interest in expulsion against you.
  • and valid identity document (e.g. passport or passport substitute)
  • Residence permit (study-related internship EU)
  • Up-to-date biometric photo in the passport (45 x 35 mm)
  • Proof of securing a livelihood without the use of public benefits (e.g. equity, scholarship, declaration of commitment, payment of a security deposit into a blocked account at a bank, bank guarantee, proof of parents' income or similar)
  • Proof of health insurance coverage (e.g. confirmation of health insurance coverage or insurance policy).
  • In the case of minors: consent of all persons with custody to the planned stay (declaration of consent); if the parents with custody are unable to submit the application jointly for their child, a written power of attorney from the absent parent is required; if custody is granted to only one parent, the signature of that parent is sufficient
  • Proof of university degree or ongoing studies in a third country (e.g. university certificate, certificate of enrolment)
  • Internship agreement with the internship provider with the following content:
    • Description of the program for the internship (including educational objective, learning components),
    • information on the duration of the traineeship,
    • the conditions of activity and care,
    • Working hours and
    • the legal relationship between the trainee and the trainee.
  • Declaration of assumption of costs by the internship provider
  • The documents and information must always be submitted in German. In individual cases, the Foreigners' Registration Office may require less or more evidence.

Cost amount (fixed):

  • 96.00 for a further stay of up to three months
  • EUR 48.00 for underage applicants for a further stay of up to three months
  • 93.00 for a further stay of more than three months
  • EUR 46.50 for underage applicants for a further stay of more than three months


Additional fees may apply for the issuance of a new residence permit in the form of an electronic residence permit (eAT card), which can also be used as electronic proof of identity.

The timing and form of fee collection and payment vary depending on the authority.

In certain cases, fee reductions or exemptions may be considered (e.g. for persons entitled to asylum or recognised refugees). Lower fees may apply for Turkish nationals.

Duration (at span): 6 to 8

Note (for more information on the deadline):

The extension should be applied for at least eight weeks before the expiry of your valid residence permit.

Note (for more information on the deadline):

The residence permit is issued for a limited period of time for the agreed duration of the internship, but for a maximum period of six months. Further extension is excluded.

(at span): approx. 6 to 8

Note for further information on processing time:

The processing time may vary depending on the workload of the Foreigners' Registration Office.

It takes about 4 weeks to 6 weeks for Bundesdruckerei to produce the electronic residence permit.

  • Objection to the decision of the Foreigners' Registration Office within one month of notification
  • Bringing an action before the court named in the notice of opposition if the objection is not upheld

Foreigners' Registration Office

Forms available: No

Written form required: No

Informal application possible: Yes

Personal appearance required: Yes

  • Find out whether your Foreigners' Registration Office allows you to apply online or has a special application form.
  • If you have not yet reached the age of 18, you are not allowed to submit the application yourself, but need a representative (as a rule, the application is made by the parents with custody).
  • If the application is only possible in person, make an appointment at the Foreigners' Registration Office. In the case of an online application, the Foreigners' Registration Office will contact you after receipt of your application to make an appointment.
  • If you have not yet reached the age of 18, you must be accompanied by at least one legal representative (usually a parent) at the personal interview. In the case of joint custody, the parents must always appear together at the authority and submit the application for you together. If one parent is unable to appear in person, the other parent with custody must be issued with a written power of attorney for the application.
  • During the appointment, your identity and documents will be checked (please bring your documents, if possible in the original, with you to the appointment).
  • If your application is granted, your fingerprints will be taken in the form of a new electronic residence permit (eATKarte) for the production of the residence permit.
  • The Foreigners' Registration Office commissions the production of the eAT card from Bundesdruckerei. After completion, you will receive information and can pick up the eAT card from the responsible office. The eAT card must always be picked up in person.
  • If your application is rejected, you will receive a rejection notice.
  • The residence permit does not entitle the holder to pursue further gainful employment.
  • In the case of internships that exceed a period of six months, the issuance of a residence permit for in-company training may be considered. The granting of a residence permit for the purpose of looking for work may also be considered for a further six months after the internship if the foreigner is to be regarded as a skilled worker with vocational training or as a skilled worker with academic training on the basis of his or her qualifications.
  • The procedure at the Foreigners' Registration Office is usually carried out in German.
  • All information provided to the Foreigners' Registration Office should be correct and complete to the best of our knowledge and belief so that the request can be processed without major delays.
  • Incorrect or incomplete information can slow down the procedure and be detrimental to the persons concerned. In the event of an emergency, incorrect or incomplete information that is not completed or corrected in time vis-à-vis the Foreigners' Registration Office may result in the revocation of residence rights already granted, a fine, imprisonment of up to three years or expulsion from the federal territory.
  • Due to the complexity of the right of residence, this description is for information purposes only and is not legally binding.

Ministry of the Interior and Municipal Affairs of the State of Brandenburg

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

No authority found