jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.

Enter words here that describe what you are looking for (e.B. cut a tree) or a matter for citizens and companies (e.B. house construction, marriage).
Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Pay church tax


Religious communities under public law have the right to levy taxes on their members. This requires a state-recognised tax code. Church tax is mainly levied as a surcharge on income tax (including wage tax and capital gains tax). In the case of spouses of different faiths, it is possible to levy a special church tax. The administration of church tax on income and the special church tax can be transferred to the tax offices. In addition, there are individual regional church taxes on real estate and church fees. The administration of the church tax on real property can be transferred to the municipalities. The church tax can only be levied by the religious community itself.

A person is liable to church tax if he or she is a member of a religious community that levies church tax and is domiciled or habitually resident in Germany. The main application of the church tax is the church tax on income. In addition, there is the church tax on real estate, as well as the general and the special church tax.

Beginning of the church tax liability
Membership is determined by internal church law. For example, membership in the Protestant regional churches or the Roman Catholic Church is usually established by baptism. The obligation to pay church tax begins on the first day of the month following the start of membership and the establishment of a place of residence in Germany.

Termination of the church tax liability
The church tax liability is terminated by death, moving abroad or leaving the church. If you wish to leave the church, you must declare this to the registry office.

  • Identity card or passport with last registration certificate
  • Married or divorced persons: Birth certificate or marriage certificate

There is no fee for joining the church/religious community.

There is no separate form for church tax. The income tax return is decisive.

As part of your income tax return, you state whether you are liable to church tax. The tax office levies church tax on your income as a surcharge on income tax. If you are married and your spouse does not belong to a religious community that levies the tax, you may be eligible for the special church tax.

Ministry of Finance Rhineland-Palatinate

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Further Authorities
Finanzamt Magdeburg
Tessenowstraße 10
39114 Magdeburg, Landeshauptstadt
+49 391 88512
+49 391 8851000

Remark: Registration/Login - Attachments are possible

Remark: Messages with a tax reference - no attachments possible

Remark: Messages without tax reference - no attachments possible