jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.

Enter words here that describe what you are looking for (e.B. cut a tree) or a matter for citizens and companies (e.B. house construction, marriage).
Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Receive compensation and suspend contributions to the artists' social security fund


Are you self-employed as an artist or journalist and subject to statutory health and long-term care insurance via the Artists' Social Insurance Fund? If so, you are entitled to compensation benefits under certain conditions.

The responsible benefit provider will check the requirements for

  • Sickness benefit
  • Sickness benefit in case of illness of a child
  • Maternity benefit
  • Injury benefit
  • Transitional allowance or other income replacement benefits

Depending on the type of benefit, this may be

  • the statutory health insurance fund
  • an accident insurance institution or
  • a statutory pension insurance provider

If you are entitled to a compensation benefit, you do not have to pay social security contributions via the Künstlersozialkasse. In order for the Künstlersozialkasse to determine that you are exempt from contributions, you must report the receipt of benefits. You should also provide evidence of this in order to avoid additional correspondence.

The exemption from contributions lasts as long as you receive the compensation.

  • The entitlement to a compensation benefit must have been established by the responsible benefit provider.
  • The start and, if applicable, the end of the benefit must be known.
  • Notification of the receipt of wage replacement benefits
    • if you receive sickness benefit: Notification of receipt of sickness benefit
    • if you receive maternity benefit: Notification of receipt of maternity benefit
  • Proof of receipt of the compensation benefit, for example:
    • a copy of the notice of approval or
    • another letter from the responsible benefit provider.

There are no costs.

Please inform us immediately if you receive a compensation payment.

An appeal is not possible.

If you are unable to work due to your own illness, your child's illness or pregnancy:

  • Contact the doctor treating you and have your incapacity for work, your child's illness or your pregnancy certified.
  • If this certificate is not sent electronically by the doctor's surgery to your health insurance fund, please submit it to them.
  • Please answer any questions from your health insurance fund immediately.
  • If you are receiving income replacement benefit, please obtain written confirmation of the start and, if applicable, the known end of your benefit receipt.

You can then notify the Künstlersozialkasse online or by post that you are receiving the compensation benefit.

Online notification:

  • Call up the online form on the federal portal verwaltung.bund.de. This will guide you step by step through the necessary information, which you can enter electronically.
  • Note: You will need a valid ELSTER certificate to log in to the online form. Alternatively, you can use your electronic ID document.
  • It will take you about 10 minutes to complete the online application.
  • First enter your personal details, including your insurance number. You will find this on the letter from the Künstlersozialkasse in the top right-hand corner.
  • On the next page, select the income replacement benefit you are receiving.
  • When you make your selection, you will receive general information about the benefit you are receiving.
  • You can then enter the details of your benefit receipt and upload any supporting documents.
  • If you are receiving maternity benefit, you will also be asked a few questions about your future employment.

Notification by post:

  • If you receive sickness benefit, fill in the PDF form "Notification due to illness/incapacity for work with receipt of sickness benefit" on the website of the Künstlersozialkasse.
  • If you receive maternity benefit, please complete the PDF form "Notification due to receipt of maternity benefit" on the website of the Künstlersozialkasse.
  • Please also state your insurance number. You will find this in the top right-hand corner of the letter from the Künstlersozialkasse.
  • Print out the completed PDF, sign it and send your notification of change to the Künstlersozialkasse.
  • If you receive sickness benefit in the event of illness of a child, injury benefit or transitional allowance, please inform us briefly and informally, stating your insurance number.
  • Enclose proof of benefit receipt with your notification, if you have any.

You will receive written confirmation that you are exempt from contributions.

Federal Ministry of Labor and Social Affairs (BMAS)

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Künstlersozialkasse (KSK), Abteilung Versicherte
Gökerstr. 14
26384 Wilhelmshaven
26380 Wilhelmshaven
+49 4421 9289000