jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.

Enter words here that describe what you are looking for (e.B. cut a tree) or a matter for citizens and companies (e.B. house construction, marriage).
Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Reporting the loss of your own ID card


As a German citizen, you are obliged to have an identity card from the age of 16 if you are registered as having your main place of residence in Germany and do not have a valid passport, passport or temporary passport.

You must immediately report the loss of your identity card to a citizens' office or the police. If you do not do this, you are committing an offense. Once you have reported the loss to a citizens' office, thepolicewillautomatically be informed of the loss.

You can apply for a new ID card at the same time as reporting the loss to the Citizens' Registration Office. If you have a valid passport, you do not need to apply for a new ID card.

If you first report the loss to the police, you must also visit an ID card office to apply for a new ID card.

If you report the loss (to the police or citizens' office), the online ID card function will also be automatically blocked. This ensures that any attempt to misuse the online ID function is detected immediately. After blocking, it is not possible to use the online ID function of your ID card.

You can also have the online ID card blocked yourself by telephone.

You can only have the signature function blocked by the provider of your signature certificate.

  • Your identity card has been lost

You do not need to submit any documents.

There are no costs.

You must report the loss immediately.

Your message will be recorded without delay.

  • Objection.
  • Appeal.
    Detailed information on how to lodge an objection can be found in the notification of your application.
  • Administrative court action

Responsibility lies with the municipality and the city in which your main residence is located.

As a rule, you must report the loss of your ID card in person. In these cases, the ID card authority will block your online ID card function after receiving your report.

Report the loss to the Citizens' Registration Office:

  • Make an appointment at the Citizens' Registration Office. Please find out about the regional options.
  • Your online ID function will be blocked immediately upon receipt of your report.
  • If you do not receive a prompt appointment to report the loss at the Citizens' Registration Office, report the loss to a police station as soon as possible.

Block the online ID function yourself via the hotline:

  • Dial the blocking hotline 116 116, which is available around the clock, 7 days a week.
  • Enter the blocking password that you received with the PIN letter using the telephone keys as soon as you are prompted to do so.
  • Your online ID card will be blocked immediately.

There are no indications or special features.

Federal Ministry of the Interior and for Home Affairs (BMI)

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

BürgerBüro West
Bruno-Beye-Ring 50
39130 Magdeburg, Landeshauptstadt
+49 391 5404960
Further Authorities
BürgerBüro Süd
Salbker Chaussee 67
39118 Magdeburg, Landeshauptstadt
BürgerBüro Mitte
Leiterstrasse 2a - Der Eingang befindet sich in der Fußgängerzone.
39104 Magdeburg, Landeshauptstadt
+49 391 5404359
BürgerBüro Nord
Lübecker Straße 32
39124 Magdeburg, Landeshauptstadt
+49 391 5406299