jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.

Enter words here that describe what you are looking for (e.B. cut a tree) or a matter for citizens and companies (e.B. house construction, marriage).
Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Applying for an identity card due to loss


You can report the loss

  • at any identity card authority, usually the local citizens' office, or
  • with every police force.

In addition, you must apply for a new identity card if you are over 16 years old and do not have a valid passport document, i.e. passport or temporary passport. This is possible at the Bürgeramt at your main residence.
If you do not apply for your identity card at your main residence, you need an important reason. In addition, a surcharge of EUR 13.00 will be charged to the fee. If you contact the Bürgeramt you have selected in advance, you can find out whether and to what extent the Bürgeramt acknowledges your reason.
In the event that you find your ID card again, you must report this personally to your identity card authority. Only when you have officially reported your identity card as "found" will a corresponding entry with the police be deleted.
If you have not applied for a new identity card, you can continue to use your ID card in Germany, which has been registered as recovered, without restriction until the end of its validity.

The obligation to apply for an identity card applies to you if you

  • have German nationality,
  • have reached the age of 16,
  • are registered in Germany and
  • do not have a valid passport document, i.e. passport or temporary passport.

For applications outside your main residence:

  • You must be able to explain an important reason why you do not apply for the identity card to the identity card authority responsible at your main residence.
  • Exception: The temporary identity card cannot be applied for abroad.
  • Biometric passport photo: The photo must
    • be up-to-date and
    • meet the requirements for photos for electronic identity cards.
  • if available and not yet validated: old passport or children's passport (valid or already expired)
  • if no valid passport or children's passport is available: birth certificate or marriage certificate
  • if available: police loss report
  • in the case of children under the age of 16: if applicable, declaration of consent from the parent with custody who is not present
    • in the case of only one legal guardian, additional proof of custody
  • EUR 37.00 for applicants aged 24 and over
  • EUR 22.80 for applicants under the age of 24
  • EUR 10.00 for the temporary identity card
  • EUR 13.00 surcharge for applications outside working hours or not at the main residence
  • EUR 30.00 surcharge for issuance by consular or diplomatic mission abroad

Fee reduction or exemption is possible for those in need. This is at the discretion of the identity card authority.

You must report the loss as soon as possible.

From the time of application, it usually takes at least 2 weeks until you can pick up your identity card at the Bürgeramt.

Contact the Citizens' Office of your municipality or city.

To apply for a new id card after loss, follow these steps:

  • Report the loss to an identity card authority, usually the Bürgeramt, or to the police. You can submit the loss report informally in writing or in person.
  • If you want to apply for a new ID card at the Bürgeramt at the same time, you must do so personally and bring the necessary documents with you.
  • Your Citizens' Office will inform you when you apply when you can pick up your identity card. As a rule, it takes at least two weeks.
  • Your identity card is produced centrally by Bundesdruckerei GmbH.
  • At many citizens' offices, you can arrange a pick-up appointment online, by e-mail or by telephone. You can find out what options your Citizens' Office offers, for example, on its website.

Federal Ministry of the Interior, Building and Community

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

BürgerBüro West
Bruno-Beye-Ring 50
39130 Magdeburg, Landeshauptstadt
+49 391 5404960
Further Authorities
BürgerBüro Süd
Salbker Chaussee 67
39118 Magdeburg, Landeshauptstadt
BürgerBüro Mitte
Leiterstrasse 2a - Der Eingang befindet sich in der Fußgängerzone.
39104 Magdeburg, Landeshauptstadt
+49 391 5404359
BürgerBüro Nord
Lübecker Straße 32
39124 Magdeburg, Landeshauptstadt
+49 391 5406299