jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.

Enter words here that describe what you are looking for (e.B. cut a tree) or a matter for citizens and companies (e.B. house construction, marriage).
Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Apply for a national visa


Depending on your nationality, you will need a national visa for stays in Germany that last longer than 90 days. The procedure and requirements also depend on the purpose of your stay in Germany (e.g. employment, family reunification, study and training).

There is no visa requirement for nationals of EU countries and some other countries (for example Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland, USA, Canada, Australia). As a rule, they can enter Germany for a longer stay without a national visa and apply for their residence title at the Aliens' Registration Office after entry. A complete list of countries with an indication of the respective visa requirements can be found on the website of the Federal Foreign Office.

In certain cases you will have to prove knowledge of the German language. The issuing of the national visa is governed by the same regulations that apply to the issuing of the residence title that you must apply for in Germany after the visa expires (e.g. residence permit, EU Blue Card).

The requirements depend on your nationality and the purpose of your stay. They are regulated in detail in the provisions of the Residence Act and other legal ordinances.

Details on the documents to be submitted can be found on the websites of the German missions abroad.

  • Standard rate: EUR 75.00
  • for minors up to their 18th birthday: EUR 37.50

In certain cases, the fee may be reduced or waived altogether.

Please submit your application in good time. You will find information on the appointment situation and on booking appointments on the websites of the German missions abroad .

Depending on the individual case between a few days and several months

Contact persons for national visas are the visa offices of the German missions abroad.

  • Forms: yes
  • Online procedure possible: no
  • Written form required: yes
  • Personal appearance required: yes

You must apply for a long-stay visa at the mission responsible for you.

  • Find out about the application procedure and the documents to be submitted on the website of the mission responsible for you.
  • Make an appointment with the mission abroad
  • Download, print and complete the visa application form. At the agreed appointment, please appear in person at the diplomatic mission or consular post. Please bring the completed application and all required documents with you.
  • A staff member of the diplomatic mission or consular post will interview you. For security reasons, this will take place at the counter.
  • In certain cases, after your application has been accepted, the diplomatic mission or consular post will contact the Aliens' Registration Office or, in the case of employment, the Federal Employment Agency in Germany, which is responsible for the place where you wish to live or work. In these cases, the foreign mission can only issue the visa if the Aliens' Registration Office or the Federal Employment Agency agrees.
  • The visa will be affixed to your passport in the form of a label.
  • You will only receive a written decision if you cannot be granted a visa. You then have the following legal remedies:
    • You can submit your objections in writing (remonstrate) to the mission abroad within one month. The diplomatic mission or consular post will then re-examine your visa application.
    • If your application is still rejected after the second examination, you can file a complaint with the Berlin Administrative Court within one month.
    • You can also file a lawsuit directly with the Berlin Administrative Court within one month.
  • If you are already in Germany: Please contact the foreigners authority responsible for you. They are responsible for questions of residence law and will decide on your application.

Federal Foreign Office

No authority found