jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.

Enter words here that describe what you are looking for (e.B. cut a tree) or a matter for citizens and companies (e.B. house construction, marriage).
Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Apply for an extension of residence permit for qualified tolerated persons for the purpose of employment


You can apply for the extension of your residence permit for qualified tolerated persons issued for the purpose of employment if you want to continue to pursue employment and continue to meet the other requirements. In principle, the same conditions must be met for the extension of the residence permit as when it was first issued. In particular, you must be able to secure your livelihood and health insurance cover from your own resources without recourse to public benefits.

To process your application, the Foreigners' Registration Office usually involves the Federal Employment Agency, which checks the working conditions. After two years of holding the residence permit and if during this period an occupation corresponding to the professional qualification has been exercised, access to the labour market is no longer subject to any restrictions.

In the event of an extension, your residence permit will be limited again. As a rule, the residence permit cannot be extended if this was already excluded when the residence permit was issued or last extended.

In principle, you must meet the same requirements for the extension of the residence permit as when the residence permit was issued for the first time, i.e.:

  • You have a recognized and valid identity document (for example, passport or passport substitute).
  • You have in the Federal territory
    • have completed qualified vocational training in a state-recognised or comparably regulated training occupation or a university degree or
    • with a recognised foreign university degree or a foreign university degree comparable to a German university degree, has been employed for at least two consecutive years in a manner appropriate to his or her degree, or
    • have been in skilled employment for at least three years without interruption and have not been dependent on public funds within the last year (with the exception of benefits to cover the necessary costs of accommodation and heating).
  • You have sufficient German language skills at least at level B1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
  • You can submit a specific job offer or a contract (the form "Declaration of employment" serves as proof of the specific job offer).
  • You have sufficient living space for you and your family.
  • The Federal Employment Agency has approved the exercise of employment.
  • You can secure your livelihood and health insurance cover from your own resources without recourse to public services.
  • There is no interest in expulsion against you.

Your stay does not endanger or adversely affect the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany

In principle, the extension of your residence permit requires the presentation of the same documents as for the first issue:

  • Recognized and valid identity document (for example, passport or passport substitute)
  • Current biometric photo in passport format (45 x 35 mm)
  • Proof of completed training (e.g. university degree, certificates of completed vocational training)
  • For foreign university degrees:
    • Notification of recognition or comparability of the university degree, if available
    • Certificate evaluation of the Central Office for Foreign Education (ZAB), if available
  • Employment contract or the "Declaration of employment" form completed and signed by the employer (see forms).
  • Proof of previous activities (e.g. employment references, employment contracts), if available
  • Proof of German language skills
  • Proof of securing one's livelihood (e.g. equity, blocked account, declaration of commitment)
  • Proof of health insurance coverage
  • Current registration certificate

In individual cases, the Foreigners' Registration Office may require less or further proof.

The following fees apply:

  • 96,00 for a further stay of up to three months
  • 93,00 for a further stay of more than three months


Additional fees may apply for the issuance of the residence permit in the form of an electronic residence permit, which can also be used as an electronic proof of identity.

Application deadline:

The application should be received by the Foreigners' Registration Office no later than 8 a.m. before your current residence permit expires.

Duration: maximum 2

Opposition period:

1 month

Duration: approx. 8

Note for further information on processing time:

The production of the electronic residence title by Bundesdruckerei takes about 4 to 6 weeks.

  • Appeal against the decision of the Foreigners' Registration Office
  • Action before the court named in the notice of opposition if the objection is not complied with

The immigration authority responsible for the place of residence of the applicant is responsible for processing the application.

Forms available: Yes

Written form required: Yes

Informal application possible: No

Personal appearance required: Yes

  • Find out whether your immigration authority allows you to submit your application online or has a special application form.
  • If the application is only possible in person, make an appointment at the Foreigners' Registration Office. In the case of an online application, the Foreigners' Registration Office will contact you after receipt of your application to make an appointment.
  • During the appointment, your identity and documents will be checked (please bring your documents, preferably original, to the appointment).
  • If your request is granted, your fingerprints will be taken for the production of a new electronic residence title (eATKarte). The Foreigners' Registration Office commissions Bundesdruckerei to produce the eAT card. After completion, you will receive information and can pick up the residence permit at the responsible office. The eAT card must always be picked up in person.
  • If your application is rejected, you will receive a rejection notice.

Ministry of the Interior and Municipal Affairs of the State of Brandenburg

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

No authority found