jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.

Enter words here that describe what you are looking for (e.B. cut a tree) or a matter for citizens and companies (e.B. house construction, marriage).
Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Applying for a residence permit for job search for skilled workers with vocational training Applying for an extension


You have already received a residence permit for skilled workers to look for a job. This residence permit can be issued for a total of up to six months. If this 6-month period has not yet been exhausted, you can apply for an extension of your residence permit, provided that you continue to secure your livelihood.

With the residence permit for job search, you can take on a trial job, which the qualification qualifies you to exercise, for up to ten hours a week.

In order to extend the residence permit, you must meet the same requirements as when the residence permit was first issued, i.e.:

  • You have a recognized and valid identity document (for example, passport or passport substitute).
  • You own
    • qualified vocational training in Germany or
    • an equivalent foreign professional qualification.
  • The subject of your job search must be the exercise of a qualified employment for which you are qualified on the basis of your professional qualification.
  • You have German language skills that correspond to the desired activity. As a rule, German language skills at least at level B1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages are required.
  • If employment in a regulated profession – for example medical – is sought, a professional licence must already have been granted or promised.
  • You can secure your livelihood and health insurance cover from your own resources without recourse to public services.
  • The maximum period of six months for issuing a residence permit has not yet been exhausted.
  • There is no interest in expulsion against you.

Your stay does not endanger or impair the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany.

In principle, the extension of your residence permit requires the presentation of the same documents as for the first issue:

  • Recognized and valid identity document (for example, passport or passport substitute)
  • Current biometric photo in passport format (45 x 35 mm)
  • Training certificate/ training certificate on successfully completed vocational training in the original
  • In the case of a foreign professional qualification:
    • Training certificate/ training certificate together with German translation
    • Decision on the determination of the equivalence of the foreign professional qualification with a domestic qualified vocational training, if available
  • In the case of regulated professions: authorisation to practise a profession or a commitment to grant
  • Proof of German language skills
  • Proof of securing one's livelihood (e.g. equity, blocked account, declaration of commitment)
  • Proof of health insurance coverage
  • Current registration certificate

In individual cases, the Foreigners' Registration Office may require less or further proof.


  • 96,00 for a further stay of up to three months
  • 93,00 for a further stay of more than three months

Additional fees may apply for the issuance of the residence permit in the form of an electronic residence permit, which can also be used as an electronic proof of identity. stay of more than three months

The application should be received by the Foreigners' Registration Office no later than 8 a.m. before your current residence permit expires.

Duration: maximum 6 months

The residence permit is issued for a maximum of six months. An extension is only possible if this 6-month period has not yet been exhausted.

Opposition period: 1 month

Duration: approx. 8

Note for further information on processing time:

It takes about 4 to 6 weeks for Bundesdruckerei to produce the electronic residence permit

  • Appeal against the decision of the Foreigners' Registration Office
  • Action before thecourt specified in the notice of opposition if the objection is not complied with

The immigration authority responsible for the place of residence of the applicant is responsible for processing the application.

Forms available: No

Written form required: Yes

Informal application possible: No

Personal appearance required: Yes

  • Find out whether your immigration authority allows you to submit your application online or has a special application form.
  • If the application is only possible in person, make an appointment at the Foreigners' Registration Office. In the case of an online application, the Foreigners' Registration Office will contact you after receipt of your application to make an appointment.
  • During the appointment, your identity and documents will be checked (please bring your documents, preferably original, to the appointment).
  • If your request is granted, your fingerprints will be taken for the production of a new electronic residence title (eATKarte). The Foreigners' Registration Office commissions Bundesdruckerei to produce the eAT card. After completion, you will receive information and can pick up the residence permit at the responsible office. The eAT card must always be picked up in person.

If your application is rejected, you will receive a rejection notice.

An extension of the residence permit beyond the maximum period of six months is excluded if no suitable gainful employment could be found within its validity. A residence permit for the purpose of seeking employment for qualified skilled workers with vocational training can only be issued again if the foreigner has resided abroad for at least as long after his departure as he previously resided in the Federal territory.

The residence permit does not entitle the holder to pursue a self-employed activity.

Ministry of the Interior and Municipal Affairs of the State of Brandenburg,

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

No authority found