jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.

Enter words here that describe what you are looking for (e.B. cut a tree) or a matter for citizens and companies (e.B. house construction, marriage).
Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Apply for equivalence of the master craftsman's examination


There are about 200 professions in the craft sector in Germany. 41 of these professions are subject to authorisation:

  • Optometrist
  • Baker
  • Container and apparatus builder or container and apparatus builder
  • Concrete block and terazzo manufacturer or concrete block and terazzo manufacturer
  • Boat and shipbuilder or shipbuilder
  • Bötther or Böttcherin
  • Well builder or well builder
  • Gunsmith or gunsmith
  • Surgical mechanic
  • Roofer or roofer
  • Turner (ivory carver) and wood chipper or turner (ivory carver) and wooden toy maker
  • Electrical machine builder or electrical machine builder
  • Electrical engineer
  • Screed layer
  • Precision mechanic
  • Butcher
  • Tile, slab and mosaic layer or tile, slab and mosaic layer
  • Hairdresser or hairdresser
  • Scaffolding builder
  • Glassblowers and glass apparatus builders
  • Glazier or glazier
  • Glass refiner or glass refiner
  • Hearing care professional
  • Information Technician
  • Installer and heating engineer
  • Refrigeration system builder
  • Body and vehicle builder
  • Plumber
  • Pastry chef
  • Automotive technician
  • Agricultural machinery mechanic
  • Painter and varnisher or painter
  • Bricklayer and concrete builder or bricklayer and concrete builder
  • Mechanic for tire and vulcanization technology
  • Metal worker
  • Furnace and air heating engineer or air heating engineer
  • Organ and harmonium builder or organ and harmonium builder
  • Orthopaedic shoemaker or orthopaedic shoemaker
  • Orthopaedic technician
  • Parquet layer
  • Interior decorator
  • Roller shutter and sun protection technician or roller shutter and sun protection technician
  • Sign and light advertising manufacturer or sign and light advertising manufacturer
  • Chimney sweep or chimney sweep
  • Rope or rope maker
  • Stonemason and stone sculptor
  • Road builder
  • Stukkateur or Stukkateurin
  • Carpenter
  • Heat, cold and sound insulation or sound insulation
  • Dental technician
  • Carpenter
  • Two-wheeler mechanic

These so-called master professions are regulated. This means that you may only work permanently independently in these professions if you are registered in the register of craftsmen. In order to be registered in the register of craftsmen, you must prove a certain professional qualification in the corresponding craft (master craftsman's title).

Even with a professional qualification from abroad, you can be entered in the register of craftsmen. To do this, you must have your professional qualification recognised by the Chamber of Crafts. The recognition procedure is called "equivalence determination".

After a successful equivalence determination, you can be entered in the register of craftsmen. However, they do not receive a championship title.

The Chambers of Crafts are responsible for determining equivalence in crafts subject to authorisation. The Chambers of Crafts will advise you before the application is submitted and identify the right profession in the trades for you.

For citizens of the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland, there is another recognition procedure: the granting of the exemption permit (§ 9 HwO).

  • You have formal training in crafts from abroad.
  • You want to work in Germany in the corresponding craft.

The Chamber of Crafts will inform you which documents you need to submit. Important documents are generally:

  • Proof of identity (passport or identity card)
  • List in tabular form with your training and professional experience (CV)
  • Evidence of formal qualifications
  • Certificate of the nature and duration of the relevant professional practice
  • If the profession is regulated in your country of training: a certificate that you are allowed to practise the profession in your training state. The certificate must be issued by the competent authority of your training country.
  • Declaration that you have not yet submitted an application for an equivalence determination
  • possibly proof that you want to work in Germany (not applicable for applicants from EU/EEA/Switzerland)

The Chamber of Crafts will inform you which documents you must submit in the original or as a certified copy.
You must present your documents in German. Translations must be carried out by publicly appointed or authorised translators.

The Chamber of Crafts will inform you about the costs. The costs generally depend on the effort required for processing.
In addition, additional costs may arise (e.B. for translations or certification of your documents). These costs vary from person to person.

Sometimes documents are still missing in the procedure. The Chamber of Crafts will then inform you about this. You must then submit the documents later. A deadline can be set for this.

The Chamber of Crafts will confirm that your documents have arrived after a maximum of one month. The Chamber of Crafts will inform you if documents are missing.

If all the necessary documents are available, the procedure takes a maximum of 3 months.
In individual cases, the procedure may be extended once.
For professional qualifications from the EU, the EEA and Switzerland, the procedure may be extended by a maximum of one month.

  • Forms: Forms can be obtained from the Chambers of Crafts.
  • Online procedure possible: Via the Point of Single Contact
  • Written form requirement: possibly
  • Personal appearance required: no
  • You submit an "application for equivalence assessment" to the Chamber of Crafts.
  • For professional qualifications from the EU/EEA/Switzerland: You can submit the application and the documents directly to the Chamber of Crafts or to the Point of Single Contact. You can also submit the application electronically via the Point of Single Contact.
  • The Chamber of Crafts then compares your professional qualification from abroad with the German professional qualification and checks its equivalence. If your professional qualification is equivalent, it will be recognised. You will then receive the notice of equivalence by post or electronically (recognition notice).
  • If your professional qualification is not equivalent, it will not be recognised. You will then receive a notification of the differences in your professional qualifications. You then have the right to a compensatory measure: this can be an adaptation course or an aptitude test. If you successfully complete the compensatory measure, you will receive the certificate of equivalence.
  • With the decision of equivalence, you can be entered in the register of craftsmen. To do this, you must submit an "application for registration in the register of craftsmen".
  • You can take legal action against the decision of the Chamber of Crafts. The decision is then reviewed. We recommend that you first talk to the Chamber of Crafts before taking legal action against the decision.
  • Freedom to provide services
    If you are established in a country of the EU, the EEA or Switzerland, you do not need to register in the register of craftsmen for temporary and occasional work as a service provider in Germany. You then do not need recognition of the professional qualification. However, special requirements apply: You must report your work to the Chamber of Crafts before your first activity. The Chambers of Crafts will inform you.
  • Qualification analysis
    You have completed formal training but cannot provide all the necessary documents? Then you may be allowed to go through a qualification analysis. This means that you can prove your professional skills in practice.
  • Procedure for ethnic German repatriates
    As a ethnic German repatriate, you can go through the recognition procedure either according to the laws mentioned here or according to the Federal Displaced Persons Act. You can decide for yourself.

§ 50b HwO
§§ 9 ff. BQFG
§ 8 Abs. 1 Nr. 2 BQFG

Federal Institute for Vocational Education and Training

Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

No authority found