jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.

Enter words here that describe what you are looking for (e.B. cut a tree) or a matter for citizens and companies (e.B. house construction, marriage).
Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Apply for a residence permit for the purpose of studying


You can obtain a residence permit for the purpose of studying if you wish to study in Germany and have been admitted to a state-recognized university or comparable educational institution in Germany. The studies must be full-time studies.

The purpose of residence of the studies also includes study-preparatory measures. Study-preparatory measures are

  • the attendance of a study-preparatory language course, if an admission to study has already been granted and the admission is bound to the attendance of a study-preparatory course and
  • the attendance of a Studienkolleg or a comparable institution, if a place is certainly available.

The residence permit for the purpose of studying is a temporary residence title.

With your residence permit for the purpose of studies, you are allowed to pursue employment for up to 120 days or 240 half days per year or a part-time student job. You are not allowed to work during study preparation measures in the first year, except during the vacation period.

  • You have a recognized and valid identity document (for example, passport or passport substitute) and - if this was required for entry - an appropriate visa.
  • You have an admission to a state-recognized university or a recognized educational institution in Germany.
  • It is a full-time study program.
  • Your livelihood is secured for the duration of your studies.
  • Depending on the study requirements of your degree program, you may have to prove to the Aliens' Registration Office that you have the language skills required for your studies (usually at least level B2). No proof of language skills is required if these have already been tested by the receiving university as part of the admission decision or if they are to be acquired as part of a language course preparing for studies.
  • There is no expulsion interest against you.
  • Your stay does not endanger or impair the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany.
  • Recognized and valid identity document (for example passport or passport substitute)
  • Recent biometric photo in passport format (45 x 35 mm)
  • Visa, as far as it was required for entry
  • Proof of livelihood (e.g. equity capital, scholarship certificate, letter of commitment, blocked account at a bank, proof of parents' income or similar)
  • Rental contract
  • Proof of health insurance coverage
  • Letter of admission from the educational institution
  • If applicable, proof of the required language skills, for example by means of suitable language certificates such as language tests of the ALTE-certified examination providers Goethe-Institut, telc GmbH, ÖSD, TestDAF, but also DSH, DSD, TOEFL, IELTS
  • In case of participation in study preparation measures: Proof of admission to the Studienkolleg or to a study-preparatory language course.

The documents and information must always be submitted in German. In individual cases, the Aliens' Registration Office may require less or further proof.

Cost amount (fixed): 100.00 EURO

Under certain conditions a fee reduction or fee exemption can be considered.


For the issuance of the residence permit in the form of the electronic residence permit (eAT card), which can also be used as an electronic proof of identity, additional fees may apply.

The time as well as the form of the fee collection and payment vary depending on the authority.

Under certain conditions, a fee reduction or fee exemption may be considered (for example, for persons entitled to asylum or recognized refugees). Lower fees may apply for Turkish nationals.

The residence permit should be applied for at least eight weeks before the expiration of your visa, visa-free stay or your still valid residence permit.

Note (for more information on the deadline):

The residence permit is issued for a minimum of one year and usually for a maximum of two years. If the studies last less than two years, it is issued for the duration of the studies.

In case of participation in a Union or multilateral program with mobility measures (for example ERASMUS+ program of the European Union) or if the foreigner is subject to an agreement between two or more higher education institutions, the residence permit is issued for a minimum of two years or for the duration of the studies if the studies last less than two years.

Duration (at fixed time): Approx. 8

Note for further information on the processing time:

The processing time for the issuance of a residence permit can vary depending on the workload of the Foreigners' Registration Office.

It takes about 4 to 6 weeks for the Bundesdruckerei to produce the electronic residence permit.

The foreigners authority responsible for the applicant's place of residence

  • Forms: You can obtain forms from your foreigners authority; these may also be available online.
  • Online procedure occasionally possible
  • Written form required: yes
  • Personal appearance required: yes
  • The residence permit must be applied for before your visa or visa-free residence period or your current residence permit expires.
  • Find out whether your Aliens' Registration Office allows you to apply online or has a special application form.
  • If the application can only be submitted in person, make an appointment at the Foreigners' Registration Office. In the case of online application, the Aliens' Registration Office will contact you after receiving your application to schedule an appointment.
  • During the appointment, your identity and documents will be checked (please bring your documents to the appointment, if possible in original).
  • If your application is granted, your fingerprints will be taken for the production of the residence permit in the form of the electronic residence permit (eAT card). You will also be required to sign a document.
  • The Foreigners' Registration Office will order the production of the eAT card from the Bundesdruckerei. After completion, you will receive information and can pick up the eAT card at the responsible office. As a rule, you must pick up the card in person.
  • If your application is rejected, you will receive a rejection notice.
  • The procedure is usually conducted in German. In case of insufficient knowledge of German, it is recommended to appear with a person who can act as a translator.
  • All information provided to the Aliens' Registration Office should be correct and complete to the best of your knowledge and belief, so that the request can be processed without major delays.
  • Incorrect or incomplete information may slow down the process and be detrimental to the individual. In a serious case, incorrect or incomplete information that is not completed or corrected in time vis-à-vis the Aliens Department may result in the revocation of residence rights already granted, a fine, a prison sentence of up to three years, or expulsion from the Federal territory.
  • Due to the complexity of the right of residence, this description is for information purposes only and is not legally binding.

Ministry of the Interior and for Local Affairs of the State of Brandenburg

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

No authority found