jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.

Enter words here that describe what you are looking for (e.B. cut a tree) or a matter for citizens and companies (e.B. house construction, marriage).
Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Applying for a temporary extension of a driving licence


The driving licence of categories C, CE, C1 or C1E, D, DE, D1 or D1E shall be issued for a maximum of five years and may be renewed for a period of five years at the request of the holder of the licence.

  • Official proof of place and day of birth (e.g. identity card, passport)
  • Previous driver's license
  • an up-to-date photograph that complies with the provisions of the Passport Ordinance (suitable for biometrics, size 45 mm x 35 mm, portrait format)
  • Proof of vision in accordance with the model of Appendix 6 No. 2 to the Driving Licence Ordinance.
    You can have the certificate issued by an ophthalmologist, by a company or occupational physician or by a doctor of the health office. An issued expert opinion/certificate is valid for 2 years.
  • Proof of physical and mental fitness according to the model of Annex 5 to the Driving Licence Ordinance
    You can have the certificate drawn up by any doctor. When the application is submitted, the certificate must not be older than one year.
  • In addition, for classes D, D1, DE, D1E, if you have reached the age of 50, a performance psychological report. The proof must not be older than one year when the application is submitted.

The fee is based on the scale of charges for road traffic measures in the respective version.

The application can be submitted at the earliest six months before the expiry of the period of validity of the previous driving licence.

Attention: If the application is made only after the expiry of the period of validity of the previous driving licence, there will no longer be an extension, but the issue of a new driving licence. The fact that you were previously the holder of a corresponding driving licence is then no longer apparent from the new driving licence.

Please contact the driving licence authority responsible for your place of residence.

Please contact the driving licence authority responsible for your place of residence.

Regardless of whether it is a real extension or a new issue (due to late application), a new driver's license is always issued.

Hessian Ministry of Economic Affairs, Energy, Transport and Housing

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Straßenverkehrsabteilung Fahrerlaubnisbehörde
Tessenowstraße 15
39114 Magdeburg, Landeshauptstadt
+49 391 540-4454
08.00 - 11.30 a.m.
08.00 - 11.30 a.m.;
2.00 - 5.30 p.m.
08.00 - 11.30 a.m.
08.00 - 11.30 a.m.
08.00 - 11.30 a.m.

Please note:

It is necessary to book an appointment in advance for the driver's license office.

Vehicle registration for private individuals takes place in the BürgerBüros