jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.

Enter words here that describe what you are looking for (e.B. cut a tree) or a matter for citizens and companies (e.B. house construction, marriage).
Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Apply for recognition as a specialist pharmacist with a professional qualification from the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland


The profession of specialist pharmacist is regulated in Germany. This means that you need a permit if you want to use the designation "Fachapothekerin" or "Fachapotheker" for your specialization in the selected federal state.

With the training as a specialist pharmacist, you have acquired a pharmaceutical specialization for your qualification as a pharmacist abroad. To work as a pharmacist in Germany, you first need a license to practice medicine or a professional license. In order to be able to work as a specialist pharmacist in Germany, you must also apply for recognition of your further training as a specialist pharmacist. This allows you to use the designation "specialist pharmacist" in your respective specialisation.  

Notes: You may only use the designation for your specialization if there is a corresponding continuing education designation in Germany.

The permission is granted by the competent State Chamber of Pharmacists after examination of your documents and requirements.

  • You must already have a state professional license (approbation) valid in Germany as a pharmacist or a professional license.
  • You must prove the equivalence of your professional qualification as a specialist pharmacist.
  • Curriculum vitae with information on completed further training and professional experience
  • Proof of identity (identity card or passport)
  • Proof of German approbation or professional license and proof of the equivalent level of training
  • Continuing education certificates and certificates of professional practice
  • Written declaration as to whether you have already submitted an application for recognition to another Chamber of Pharmacists

If your documents are not available in German, you must submit German translations of your documents. Translations must be carried out by translators who have been publicly appointed or authorised.

There is no deadline.

Duration (for fixed time): 3

Note for further information on the processing time: You will receive the acknowledgement of receipt within one month of submitting your application. The competent authority will inform you if documents are missing. No later than 3 months after receipt of your complete documents, your application will be decided. The deadline may be extended by one month.

  • Contradiction
  • Further information on how to file an objection can be found in the notification of your application
  • Action before the Administrative Court

Please contact the Chamber of Pharmacists of Saxony-Anhalt.

Forms available: Yes

Before you submit the application, you must already have a licence to practise as a pharmacist or a professional licence in Germany.

You can apply for the recognition of your continuing education title as a specialist pharmacist at the responsible State Chamber of Pharmacists:

  • First, submit your application and the required documents to the Chamber of Pharmacists of the federal state in which you want to work.
  • If necessary, you will be asked to submit missing documents.
  • The competent body will check whether your professional qualification is equivalent. The professional qualification is equivalent if there are no significant differences between your foreign professional qualification and the German professional qualification.
  • If your qualification as a specialist pharmacist is recognised, you can work in the profession in Germany. You will receive a notification.

If significant differences are identified, you will not be certified as equivalent to your qualification as a specialist pharmacist:

  • You will receive a justification.
  • You can take an aptitude test or an adaptation course to prove the missing knowledge.
  • If you successfully pass the aptitude test or the adaptation apprenticeship, you will receive the recognition. You may then use the designation "Specialist Pharmacist" for your specialisation.

You can take legal action against the decision of the competent authority within a certain period of time (for example, lodge an objection). The decision is then reviewed. Details can be found in the notice of appeal at the end of your decision. We recommend that you first talk to the competent authority before taking legal action against the decision.

Ministry of Labour, Social Affairs, Health and Equality of the State of Saxony-Anhalt
  • There are many consulting services. These can be found on the portal Recognition in Germany.
  • Let an IQ counselling centre advise you personally on this procedure and your qualifications. The consultants will also help you with your documents before the application is submitted. The consultation is free of charge.
  • You can also call the hotline of the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees. The hotline answers your questions about "Working and living in Germany".
    Phone number: +49 30 1815-1111
    Monday to Friday 08:00 – 18:00 (CET)

  • If you are abroad: You can also reach the Central Service Centre for Professional Recognition (ZSBA) via the hotline. This offers you in-depth advice and support in the recognition process and carries out a location consultation.

Federal Institute for Vocational Education and Training

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Apothekerkammer Sachsen-Anhalt
Doctor-Eisenbart-Ring 2
39120 Magdeburg, Landeshauptstadt
+49 391 60904-0
+49 391 60904-35