jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.

Enter words here that describe what you are looking for (e.B. cut a tree) or a matter for citizens and companies (e.B. house construction, marriage).
Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Applying for an extension of the residence permit for children born in Germany


If your minor child has received a residence permit due to his birth in Germany, you must apply for its extension in good time before the validity of the residence permit expires.

The Foreigners' Registration Office will extend the residence permit for your child if the requirements are met.

In principle, the same conditions must be met for the extension of the residence permit as when the residence permit was first issued. That is:

  • Both parents with custody are third-country nationals, i.e. they are nationals of a country outside the EU, EEA or Switzerland.
  • The child is a minor and, due to his birth in Germany, is in possession of a residence permit in accordance with § 33 of the Residence Act.
  • At least one parent with custody is in possession of a valid residence permit, settlement permit or EU permanent residence permit.
  • At least one parent with custody lives with the child in a family community in Germany.

In principle, the same documents must be submitted for the extension of the residence permit as for the initial issue. These are:

  • Residence permit, settlement permit or EU long-term residence permit of one or both parents
  • Recognised and valid identity document (e.g. passport or passport substitute) of one or both parents and the child
  • Current biometric photo of the child in passport format (45 x 35 mm)

In individual cases, the Foreigners' Registration Office may require less or further proof.

Cost amount (fixed):

  • 48,00 Euro for a further stay of up to three months
  • 46,50 Euro for a further stay of more than three months


Additional fees may apply for the issuance of the new residence permit in the form of the electronic residence title (eAT card), which can also be used as electronic proof of identity.

Lower fees may apply for Turkish nationals.

At the latest 8 weeks before the expiry of the current residence permit, the application should be received by the Foreigners' Registration Office.

Duration: 1 year to 3 years

Remark (for more information on the deadline):

The residence permit is issued for a limited period. The validity depends on the validity of the parents' residence permits.

approx. 6 weeks to 8 weeks

Note for further information on processing time:

The processing time may vary depending on the workload of the Foreigners' Registration Office.

The production of the electronic residence title by Bundesdruckerei takes about 4 to 6 weeks.

  • Appeal against the decision of the Foreigners' Registration Office
  • Action before the court named in the notice of opposition if the objection is not complied with

The immigration authority responsible for the place of residence of the applicant.

Forms available: No

Written form required: No

Informal application possible: Yes

Personal appearance required: Yes

  • You submit an application for an extension of the residence permit to the Foreigners' Registration Office in good time before the expiry of the validity of the current residence permit of your child born in Germany.
  • Find out whether the competent immigration authority allows the application to be submitted online or has a special application form.
  • If the application is only possible in person, make an appointment at the Foreigners' Registration Office. In the case of an online application, the Foreigners' Registration Office will contact you after receipt of the application to make an appointment.
  • During the appointment, your identity and the identity of your child as well as your documents will be checked (please bring all documents, if possible in the original, to the appointment).
  • If your application is granted, the child's fingerprints will be taken to produce the new residence permit in the form of the electronic residence title (eAT card for short). No fingerprints are taken from children under six years of age.
  • The Foreigners' Registration Office commissions Bundesdruckerei to produce the eAT card. After completion, you will receive information and can pick up the eAT card from the responsible office. The eAT card must always be picked up in person.
  • If your application is rejected, you will receive a rejection notice.
  • It is sufficient if one parent has the described right of residence. It is irrelevant whether the child's parents are married.
  • If the residence permit of the parents expires, the child's residence permit may also be revoked.
  • Children who have reached the age of 16 can, under certain conditions, obtain a permanent right of residence in the form of a settlement permit (see administrative benefit "Settlement permit for minor children").
  • At the latest upon reaching the age of majority, the residence permit granted to a child becomes an independent right of residence independent of family reunification.
  • All information provided to the Foreigners' Registration Office should be correct and complete to the best of our knowledge and belief so that the request can be processed without major delays.
  • Incorrect or incomplete information can slow down the procedure and be detrimental to those affected. In an emergency, incorrect or incomplete information that is not completed or corrected in time vis-à-vis the immigration authority may result in the withdrawal of residence rights already granted, a fine, imprisonment of up to three years or expulsion from the federal territory.
  • Due to the complexity of the right of residence, this description is for information purposes only and is not legally binding.

Ministry of the Interior and Municipal Affairs of the State of Brandenburg

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

No authority found