jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.

Enter words here that describe what you are looking for (e.B. cut a tree) or a matter for citizens and companies (e.B. house construction, marriage).
Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Apply for a residence permit to participate in language courses or student exchanges


If you are a citizen of a non-EU or non-EEA country, you will need to

  • a German language course (intensive language course), which serves to acquire comprehensive German language skills and not to prepare students for studies, or
  • a student exchange

a residence permit.

The issuance of the residence permit requires that you meet the conditions for granting it and that there are no grounds for refusal.

The duration of an intensive language course must be limited in time. The attendance and follow-up of the course should take up all of your working time (usually daily lessons with a weekly scope of at least 18 lessons). Evening, weekend or part-time language courses are not sufficient.

A student exchange is a temporary school stay, which usually does not exceed one year and is often carried out through student exchange organizations. A privately or commercially organized exchange year is also possible. No direct exchange ("one-to-one") is required to obtain a residence permit (guest students).

  • Your livelihood is secured for the duration of the language course or student exchange.
  • You would like to take part in an intensive language course, a student exchange or visit a German school as a guest student.
  • There is no interest in expulsion against you.
  • Recognized and valid identity document (e.g. passport or passport substitute)
  • Up-to-date biometric photo in the passport (45 x 35 mm)
  • Visa, if required for entry
  • Proof of securing a livelihood without using public benefits (e.g. equity, scholarship certificate, declaration of commitment, blocked account at a bank, bank guarantee, proof of parents' income or similar). For student exchanges, the current BAföGSatz (Federal Training Assistance Act) applies as a guideline. For language courses, the BAföG rate plus a surcharge of 10 percent.
  • Proof of health insurance coverage (e.g. confirmation of health insurance coverage or insurance policy).
  • In the case of minors: consent of all persons with custody to the planned stay (declaration of consent); if the parents with custody are unable to submit the application jointly for their child, a written power of attorney from the absent parent is required; if custody is granted to only one parent, the signature of that parent is sufficient

Additionally for attending a language course:

  • Proof of admission to the language course (e.g. confirmation of registration or contract)
  • Curriculum vitae in tabular form (if available: certificates, diplomas or proof of already acquired knowledge of the German language.
  • Letter of motivation that provides information about why the language course should be attended and what plans are being pursued for the time after the language course)

Additionally for participation in a student exchange:

  • Proof of school attendance (e.g. certificate from the school stating the duration and general conditions for the student exchange)
  • Student exchange agreement or contract

The documents and information must always be submitted in German. In individual cases, the Foreigners' Registration Office may require less or more evidence.

Cost amount (fixed):

  • 100,00
  • 50,00 Euro for underage applicants


Additional fees may apply for the issuance of the residence permit in the form of the electronic residence permit (eAT card), which can also be used as electronic proof of identity.

The timing and form of fee collection and payment vary depending on the authority.

Lower fees may apply for Turkish nationals.

6 to 8

Note (for more information on the deadline):

The residence permit should be applied for at least eight weeks before the expiry of your still valid visa or visa-free period.

Note (for more information on the deadline):

The duration of your residence permit is issued according to the purpose of your stay (usually one year in the case of a student exchange, in the case of language courses, the duration of the language course determines the period of validity of the residence permit).

Duration (at span): approx. 6 to 8

Note for further information on processing time:

The processing time may vary depending on the workload of the Foreigners' Registration Office.

It takes about 4 weeks to 6 weeks for Bundesdruckerei to produce the electronic residence permit

  • Objection to the decision of the Foreigners' Registration Office within one month of notification
  • Bringing an action before the court named in the notice of opposition if the objection is not upheld

Foreigners' Registration Office

Forms available: No

Written form required: No

Informal application possible: Yes

Personal appearance required: Yes

  • The residence permit must be applied for before your visa or visa-free period of stay ends.
  • Find out whether your Foreigners' Registration Office allows you to apply online or has a special application form.
  • If you have not yet reached the age of 18, you are not allowed to submit the application yourself, but need a representative (as a rule, the application is made by the parents with custody).
  • If the application is only possible in person, make an appointment at the Foreigners' Registration Office. In the case of an online application, the Foreigners' Registration Office will contact you after receipt of your application to make an appointment.
  • If you have not yet reached the age of 18, you must be accompanied by at least one representative during the personal interview. If the parents with custody are unable to appear in person, a written power of attorney must be provided for the application.
  • During the appointment, your identity and documents will be checked (please bring your documents, if possible in the original, with you to the appointment).
  • If your application is granted, your fingerprints will be taken in the form of an electronic residence permit (eATKarte) for the production of the residence permit.
  • The Foreigners' Registration Office commissions the production of the eAT card from Bundesdruckerei. After completion, you will receive information and can pick up the eAT card from the responsible office. The eAT card must always be picked up in person.
  • If your application is rejected, you will receive a rejection notice.
  • The issuance of a residence permit is at the discretion of the competent immigration authority. Applicants are therefore only entitled to a decision free of errors of discretion.
  • As a rule, the residence permit does not entitle the holder to pursue gainful employment. An exception may be made for the period of the holidays.
  • During the stay to participate in a language course, i.e. until the successful completion of the educational measure and the issuance of the corresponding diploma, a residence permit for another purpose of residence should generally only be issued if there is a legal entitlement (e.g. family reunification or studies).
  • After the completion of language courses required for taking up employment or training, the appropriate residence permit can be issued without prior departure.
  • Following participation in a student exchange, a residence permit for another purpose of residence may only be issued if there is a legal entitlement.
  • The procedure is usually carried out in German.
  • All information provided to the Foreigners' Registration Office should be correct and complete to the best of our knowledge and belief so that the request can be processed without major delays.
  • Incorrect or incomplete information can slow down the procedure and be detrimental to the persons concerned. In the event of an emergency, incorrect or incomplete information that is not completed or corrected in time vis-à-vis the Foreigners' Registration Office may result in the revocation of residence rights already granted, a fine, imprisonment of up to three years or expulsion from the federal territory.
  • Due to the complexity of the right of residence, this description is for information purposes only and is not legally binding.

Ministry of the Interior and Municipal Affairs of the State of Brandenburg

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

No authority found