jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.

Enter words here that describe what you are looking for (e.B. cut a tree) or a matter for citizens and companies (e.B. house construction, marriage).
Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Apply for an extension of the residence permit to attend a general education school


If you have already obtained a residence permit for the purpose of attending school, you must apply for its extension in good time before the expiry of the validity of the residence permit.

The Foreigners' Registration Office will extend the residence permit if the conditions for this are met. The issuance of a residence permit requires, among other things, that school attendance is the main purpose of your stay. Mere part-time schooling does not meet these requirements.

This is generally granted for the duration of your stay.

In principle, the same conditions must be met for the extension of the residence permit as for the first issuance of the residence permit. That is:

  • They want to continue to attend a public or state-recognized school with an international focus or a private school that prepares its students for international degrees, degrees from other countries or state-recognized degrees (such as the International Baccalaureate [IB]).
  • Your chosen school will continue to guarantee school classes with a composition of students of different nationalities.
  • You can secure your livelihood and health insurance coverage for the duration of your stay from your own resources without using public services. As a guideline, the current BAföGSatz (Federal Training Assistance Act) applies.
  • There is no interest in expulsion against you.

In principle, the extension of your residence permit requires the submission of the same documents as for the first issue:

  • Recognized and valid identity document (e.g. passport or passport substitute)
  • Up-to-date biometric photo in the passport (45 x 35 mm)
  • Proof of securing a livelihood (e.g. from one's own assets, payment of a security deposit into a blocked account, bank guarantee, declaration of commitment, scholarship, proof of parents' income or similar)
  • Proof of health insurance coverage (e.g. confirmation of health insurance coverage or insurance policy).
  • Certificate from the school stating the duration and general conditions of school attendance
  • In the case of minors: consent of all persons with custody to the planned school attendance (declaration of consent); if the parents with custody are unable to submit the application jointly for their child, a written power of attorney from the absent parent is required; if custody is granted to only one parent, the signature of that parent is sufficient

The documents and information must always be submitted in German. In individual cases, the Foreigners' Registration Office may require less or more evidence.

Cost amount (fixed):

  • 96.00 for a further stay of up to three months
  • EUR 48.00 for underage applicants for a further stay of up to three months
  • 93.00 for a further stay of more than three months
  • EUR 46.50 for underage applicants for a further stay of more than three months


Additional fees may apply for the issuance of a new residence permit in the form of an electronic residence permit (eAT card), which can also be used as electronic proof of identity.

The timing and form of fee collection and payment vary depending on the authority.

In certain cases, fee reductions or exemptions may be considered (e.g. for persons entitled to asylum or recognised refugees). Lower fees may apply for Turkish nationals.

Duration (at span): 6 to 8

Note (for more information on the deadline):

At least six weeks to eight weeks before the expiry of the current residence permit, the application should be received by the Foreigners' Registration Office.

Duration (at span): approx. 6 to 8

Note for further information on processing time:

The processing time may vary depending on the workload of the Foreigners' Registration Office.

It takes about 4 weeks to 6 weeks for Bundesdruckerei to produce the electronic residence permit.

  • Objection to the decision of the Foreigners' Registration Office within one month of notification
  • Bringing an action before the court named in the notice of opposition if the objection is not upheld

Foreigners' Registration Office

Forms available: No

Written form required: No

Informal application possible: Yes

Personal appearance required: Yes

  • Find out whether your Foreigners' Registration Office allows you to apply online or has a special application form.
  • If you have not yet reached the age of 18, you are not allowed to submit the application yourself, but need a representative (as a rule, the application is made by the parents with custody).
  • If the application is only possible in person, make an appointment at the Foreigners' Registration Office. In the case of an online application, the Foreigners' Registration Office will contact you after receipt of your application to make an appointment.
  • If you have not yet reached the age of 18, you must be accompanied by at least one representative during the personal interview. If the parents with custody are unable to appear in person, a written power of attorney must be provided for the application.
  • During the appointment, your identity and documents will be checked (please bring your documents, if possible in the original, with you to the appointment).
  • If your application is granted, your fingerprints will be taken in the form of an electronic residence permit (eATKarte) for the production of the residence permit.
  • The Foreigners' Registration Office commissions the production of the eAT card from Bundesdruckerei. After completion, you will receive information and can pick up the eAT card from the responsible office. The eAT card must always be picked up in person.
  • If your application is rejected, you will receive a rejection notice.
  • The extension of the residence permit is at the discretion of the competent immigration authority. Applicants are therefore only entitled to a decision free of errors of discretion.
  • During the possession of the residence permit, gainful employment is not permitted. An exception may be made for the period of the holidays.
  • During the stay to attend school, i.e. until the successful completion of the educational measure and the handing over of the corresponding diploma, a residence permit for another purpose of residence should generally only be issued if there is a legal entitlement (e.g. family reunification or studies).
  • If you have attended school in Germany in possession of another residence permit, this does not justify the issuance of a residence permit for school attendance.
  • The procedure is usually carried out in German.
  • All information provided to the Foreigners' Registration Office should be correct and complete to the best of our knowledge and belief so that the request can be processed without major delays.
  • Incorrect or incomplete information can slow down the procedure and be detrimental to the persons concerned. In the event of an emergency, incorrect or incomplete information that is not completed or corrected in time vis-à-vis the Foreigners' Registration Office may result in the revocation of residence rights already granted, a fine, imprisonment of up to three years or expulsion from the federal territory.
  • Due to the complexity of the right of residence, this description is for information purposes only and is not legally binding.

Ministry of the Interior and Municipal Affairs of the State of Brandenburg

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

No authority found