jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.


In the second step, you choose which information you really need.

Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Apply for support: Student BAföG


BAföG is the abbreviation for the Federal Training Promotion Act. BAföG is colloquially referred to as the support you can receive under this law. The funding is available to you for financing

  • your school attendance or
  • under certain conditions of a prescribed internship in the context of your school attendance.

To receive the monthly grant, you must meet a number of requirements. The most important are:

  • Your parents and/or partner earn comparatively little.
  • You have no or no income.
  • Your assets are less than the €8,200 allowance.
  • They are aiming for full-time schooling.
  • Age limit: 30 years (exceptions are possible)

As a student, you receive financial support as a grant. You don't have to pay anything back.

The amount of your BAföG depends on a fixed monthly requirement. Money is deducted from this need if your parents, your partner or yourself earn comparatively much.

In principle, if you want to obtain a vocational qualification or a secondary school leaving certificate, you can obtain BAföG. However, if you attend a general education school, this only applies from grade 10 and only if you cannot live at home (for example, because you cannot complete the desired degree nearby).

The monthly requirement consists of 2 parts:

  • Basic requirements:
    • EUR 391.00 if you attend an evening high school or college,
    • EUR 247.00 if you attend a vocational school or a technical school that you can attend without a vocational training degree, or
    • EUR 448.00 if you attend an evening secondary school, vocational training school, evening secondary school or technical secondary school class, which you can only attend with completed vocational training.
  • If you do not live with your parents, you will also receive a need for accommodation:
    • A total of EUR 585.00 if you attend a vocational school or a technical school that you can attend without a vocational training degree, or
    • A total of EUR 681.00 if you attend an evening secondary school, vocational training school, evening secondary school or technical secondary school class, which you can only attend with completed vocational training.
  • Even if you spend a year abroad during your school ingenuity, you can also receive BAföG. You will also receive a travel surcharge for both the outward journey and the return journey:
    • EUR 250.00 within Europe or
    • EUR 500.00 outside Europe.

If you are aiming for your school leaving certificate on the 2nd educational path, you will receive a parent-independent BAföG. This means that your parents' income is not taken into account in the calculation.

Notes: Child benefit your parents receive for you will not be counted.


With BAföG, only internships that you complete can be promoted while you are in an apprenticeship that is eligible under the BAföG.

Only compulsory traineeships are eligible. These are internships that your training plan requires, so you have to do it in order to complete or complete the training. Compulsory traineeships completed abroad are only eligible if they last at least 12 weeks.

You can receive financial support for your schooling or internship if your parents earn comparatively little or if you have already worked independently of your parents. This support is called BAföG.

If you would like to apply for BAföG for your school education online,

  • Activate either the online IDENTIFICATION function of your identity card (eID) or open an de-mail account. You need to register for both.
  • The procedure depends on the state in which you complete your education or where your parents reside.

If you wish to submit the application in paper form,

  • go to the BAföG website and download the application forms that concern you. Alternatively, you can also pick up the applications from your student union.
  • If you do not know which forms you are concerned with, you can use the application assistant on the BAföG website: you will answer some questions and the assistant will tell you which forms you will have to submit.
  • You can fill in and print the forms on the computer, or print them out and fill them in handwriting. The application must be signed.
  • Add the necessary evidence.
  • Send the completed application forms directly to the training promotion office responsible for you.
  • The Office for the Promotion of Training checks the documents for completeness. In the absence of documents, they are requested. If the application is complete, it shall be examined and the decision notified by decision.

Apprentices at evening grammar schools, colleges, higher technical schools and academies: Office for the promotion of training of the municipal and district administration at the place of the training centre

Pupils: Office for the Promotion of Education of the City or District Administration at the parents' place of residence, in exceptional cases at the trainee's place of residence

Responsibility Finder on the website of the Federal Ministry of Education and Research
  • As a pupil or trainee, you attend one of the following types of school:
    • secondary general education and vocational school (including classes of all forms of basic vocational education) from grade 10 onwards, if you cannot live with your parents because of your education,
    • Technical and technical secondary school classes (without completed vocational training) if you do not live with your parents,
    • Vocational school class or technical school class (without completed vocational training) if she provides a vocational qualification in at least two years of education,
    • Technical and technical secondary school classes (with completed vocational training),
    • Evening secondary school, vocational training school, evening real school, evening gymnasium and college or
    • higher technical school or academy.
  • You have German nationality,
  • She or one parent was employed domestically for a certain period of time before the start of the training,
    • They themselves must have been employed domestically at least 5 years earlier.
    • Your parents must have been in employment in Germany for at least 3 years during the last 6 years.
  • or you have certain residence permits for international, humanitarian or political reasons and the required waiting time or gainful employment.


  • You will receive BAföG for your school attendance, training and traineeship if this is required by the training regulations and lasts at least 12 weeks for internships abroad.
  • Certificate of school or training centre
  • Copy of the
    • Id
    • Passports or
    • current residence permit
  • If you don't live with your parents: Copy
    • of the rental agreement or
    • of the registration certificate
  • If you are not covered by family insurance: proof of health and care insurance with legal basis and contribution amount
  • Where applicable, proof of own income during the authorisation period, for example:
    • payroll, ancillary job, work contract,
    • Orphan's pension notice,
    • Scholarship notice or
    • Riester Pension Certificate
  • Proof of assets or debts on the date of application, such as bank statement
  • If you have a car:
    • estimation of value, such as printout from a website with a comparable offer, and
    • Motor vehicle registration certificate.

Depending on the case, further documentation may be required. Please follow the instructions in the application forms. The BAföG office responsible for you will request missing documents.

None, but BAföG will only be approved from the start of training, but at the earliest from the month in which you apply. If you submit your application as completely as possible, your application can usually be decided quickly.

Up to 10 weeks if the complete documents are available (no final decision may be taken during this period).
offices are legally obliged to pay subject to payment).

Forms: yes

Online procedure possible: yes, with eID or de-mail

Written form required: yes

Personal appearance necessary: no

Electronic application on the website of the BAföG

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Federal Ministry of Education and Research

No authority found