jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.


In the second step, you choose which information you really need.

Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Request a change of first name


If you want to have your first name changed, there must be an important reason that justifies the name change. There are important reasons if the private interests of you as the bearer of the name worthy of protection outweigh the name change more than

  • the public interest, or
  • a private interest of third parties in retaining your name.

Important reasons are, for example:

  • religious motives,
  • if the name is the trigger for mental health problems (for example, through associations)
  • if there is a likelihood of confusion,
  • if the name sounds offensive or ridiculous and is cumbersome to pronounce or complicated to write, or
  • after a sex change.

Furthermore, your name must be subject to German law. This includes not only German citizens, but also those entitled to asylum, foreign refugees and stateless persons.

A name change is not an option if you do not like your name, for example for names of foreign-language origin. A name change is also not justified if you want to make identification by creditors more difficult.

For children over 1 year of age and younger than 16 years of age, you can change the first name only for serious reasons in the best interests of the child.

You must request the change of your first name in writing.

  • Ask your competent authority for the application form or download it and fill it out completely. For minors, the legal representative makes the application.
  • Explain in detail the reasons for your application. The authority must weigh up and decide taking into account all the circumstances of the individual case. The public interest in retaining the name is all the more serious the longer the name has been kept.
  • Your competent authority shall collect an advance fee and then carry out the necessary investigations. In doing so, it involves people over 14 years of age in various bodies, such as the police. It obtains information from the debtor register from the district court and, if necessary, from other bodies.
  • If the requirements are met, you will receive a certificate of the name change. Upon their handover, the name change becomes effective. Otherwise, you will receive a rejection notice.
  • The name change authority will inform other bodies of your name change. These include:
    • the registration authority,
    • the registry office, which maintains the birth register,
    • the registry office, which maintains the marriage register or the civil partnership register.
  • Once the name change has taken effect, you will need to have various documents (identity card, passport, vehicle registration document) changed. You must apply for these changes yourself.

Note: If another person is involved, for example the other parent, in the name change of a child after the divorce of the parents, you will initially only receive a notification of the name change. It points out that you have to wait until the name change can no longer be attacked by legal means. In these cases, the name change takes effect under the following conditions:

  • The other person involved accepts the name change or
  • the opposition authority or the courts confirm the name change.

Name change authority of the place of residence, usually citizen or registry office as well as legal office.

  • You have German citizenship.
  • They are entitled to asylum, foreign refugees, stateless persons, homeless foreigners or quota refugees.
  • There is an important or serious reason that justifies the name change.
  • Registration certificate and valid official photo ID (identity card, passport)
  • Extract from the birth register (available at the registry office of the place of birth)
  • for stateless persons: travel document or entry of the foreigners' registration office in the passport or passport replacement
  • in the case of homeless foreigners or persons entitled to asylum: entry of the Foreigners' Registration Office in the passport or passport replacement
  • for foreign refugees: entry of the immigration authority in the passport or passport replacement

For further documents, please inquire in advance with the name change authority responsible for you.

Depending on administrative effort and federal state different.

Note: In the event of a successful change, follow-up costs will be incurred, as you will have to reapply for documents, such as your identity card or passport. If the application is rejected, a fee of 10 to 50 percent of the administrative fee will be charged.

about 6 months

Forms: Request for a name change (available for download on their website or on request, depending on the competent authority)

Online procedure possible: no

Written form required: yes

Personal appearance required: no

First, ask your authority by phone whether the application has any chance of success.

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Federal Ministry of the Interior, Building and Community

No authority found