jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.


In the second step, you choose which information you really need.

Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Applying for a maintenance advance for children of single parents


You will receive the maintenance advance for your child if you bring him or her up in your household without another parent against whom the child is entitled to maintenance.However, this maintenance is not paid by the other parent or the person obliged to pay maintenance, or is paid incompletely or irregularly.

The center of the child's life must clearly be in your household. You must not have married a new partner.

If the eligibility conditions are met, the maintenance advance will be paid to you until your child reaches the age of majority. The limitation on the duration of the benefit period (previously a maximum of 72 months) has been lifted.

The amount of the maintenance advance depends on the amount of the minimum maintenance.

From 01.01.2023 the following amounts apply:

  • for children up to 5 years EUR 187 per month
  • for children from 6 to 11 years EUR 252 per month
  • for children from 12 to 17 years EUR 338 per month

After reaching the age of 12, your child is entitled to maintenance only if one of the following conditions is met:

  • You or your child will not receive unemployment benefit II.
  • The maintenance advance can avoid your child's need for help.
  • You have a gross monthly income of at least EUR 600 and receive supplementary unemployment benefit II.

This ensures that, if necessary, all children receive a maintenance advance. At the same time, an important incentive is created for households that are not in need of assistance or could become independent of basic social security benefits through their own earned income.

The maintenance advance is always paid at the beginning of a calendar month and can be applied for retroactively for one month.

Contact the youth welfare office of your district or your independent city.

The following conditions must be met for the granting of advance maintenance payments:

  • Child maintenance is not or only incompletely paid.
  • Your child is domiciled or habitually resident in Germany.
  • The parent is a single parent (for example, also widowed).
  • The parent and child must live in the same household.
  • Foreign children are only entitled to certain residence permits.
  • Application form
    • In addition, depending on the individual case, the following is required:
    • the birth certificate of the child concerned
    • the identity card of the single parent
    • for foreign children or parents: ID card and valid proof of residence permit
    • the confirmation of registration or information in the population register
    • the maintenance order: current determination of maintenance certificate, judgment, order
    • in the event of legal separation: divorce decree
    • if applicable, letter from the lawyer about the time of separation
    • the current tax card
    • in the case of unmarried parents: acknowledgement or determination of paternity
    • Proof of income via:
      • Child benefit
      • if applicable, half-orphan's pension
      • where applicable, maintenance payments
    • if applicable, notices of approval/discontinuation of benefits under the Maintenance Advance Act of other maintenance advance funds

There are no costs.

The maintenance advance can be granted retroactively for one month if the conditions were already met at that time.

  • Objection (deadline: 1 month)

Forms available: Yes
Written form required: Yes
Informal application possible : No
Personal appearance required: No

There are the following notes:

  • Children between the ages of 12 and 18 are only entitled to advance maintenance payments if the child is not dependent on SGB II benefits or if the single parent earns their own gross income of at least EUR 600 in receipt of SGB II.
  • The other parent must repay the maintenance advance to the maintenance advance office. If the debtor does not pay, the maintenance advance office may sue and enforce the repayment.

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Federal Ministry for Family Affairs, Senior Citizens, Women and Youth (BMFSFJ)

No authority found