jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.


In the second step, you choose which information you really need.

Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Apply for a passport


In many countries outside the European Union (EU), you will need a passport upon entry. You must apply for your passport in person. You apply for the passport at the Bürgeramt at your place of residence, in the case of several residences in the Bürgeramt at your main residence. You can also apply for the passport at any other citizens' office. In this case, you will have to pay a surcharge.

The passport can already be issued for children from 0 years of age. If you are planning to travel to another EU country with your child, you should apply for a normal biometric passport instead of a children's passport, as the child's passport or identity card is not recognized in some travel countries, such as the USA.

You must apply for the passport in person. The application is completed on site with the processor. All you have to do is sign. For the application, the submission of fingerprints is legally mandatory (flat imprint of the left and right index finger).

The passport is sent by the passport producer to the applicant citizens' office after production. You can then pick up the passport there.

The requirements for applying for a passport are

  • You are a German citizen.

  • There must be no grounds for refusal, such as the assumption that you want to evade criminal prosecution, execution of a sentence or a statutory maintenance obligation by leaving the country.

Requirements for applying for a temporary passport:

  • The temporary passport can be issued and handed over immediately if the regular passport cannot be completed in time before the start of the trip, even in the express procedure. The Bürgeramt may require appropriate proof, such as airline tickets or other travel documents.

  • The period of validity of the temporary passport is adapted to the purpose of the trip and may not exceed one year. The temporary passport does not contain any electronic storage medium (chip).

To apply for a passport, you need the following documents:

  • a valid identity card (passport, identity card, children's ID card, children's passport),

  • a current photo in passport format (45 x 35 mm), portrait format, frontal shot without edge, without headgear and without covering the eyes (biometric photo),

  • Your previous passport,

  • current civil status certificate (e.g. birth certificate in the original),

  • when applying for a child :

    • Identification of the custodian present,

    • the declaration of consent and a copy of the identity card of the non-present guardian,

    • proof of custody in the case of only one legal guardian.

When first issuing or moving to a municipality, further documents such as civil status certificates or nationality certificates may be required. Please inform yourself in advance at the responsible office.


If you are under 24 years old, the fee is

  • for a passport EUR 37,50 ,

  • eur 69.50 for a passport in the express procedure.

From the age of 24, the fee is

  • for a passport EUR 60,00,

  • for a passport in the express procedure EUR 92,00

The passport is 32 pages long. You can also apply for a passport with 48 pages. In this case, you will have to pay a surcharge of EUR 22.00.

The surcharge is EUR 22.00 for a passport in the express procedure.

The fee (excluding surcharges) is doubled if:

  • the issuance must be made outside official working hours, or

  • the issuance is not applied for at the locally competent passport authority (municipality of the main residence).

If you apply for a passport at a German embassy or consular representation, e.B in case of loss of passport, you must pay a surcharge of EUR 21.00.


  • for applicants under 24 years: 6 years

  • for applicants aged 24 and over: 10 years

  • temporary passport: maximum 1 year

The validity of the passport cannot be extended.

You must be present in person when applying for your passport so that your identity can be verified. If you cannot be present in person, only a temporary passport can be issued. The identity check must then be carried out when the document is issued, otherwise the temporary passport will not be handed over.

The temporary passport does not contain an electronic storage medium (chip).

In some countries, such as the United States, a normal, electronic passport is required for visa-free entry.

If entry into these countries is to take place with a temporary passport, a visa is also required.

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Federal Ministry of the Interior

No authority found