jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.


In the second step, you choose which information you really need.

Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Apply for a replacement driving licence


  • If your name has changed, you do not need to get a new driver's license. However, especially when travelling abroad, it may be useful to be in possession of an EU card driving licence with up-to-date information. If you wish to change your name in your driving licence, you will be issued with a new card driving licence upon request.
  • If your driving licence has been lost or destroyed (theft, illegibility or loss), you will need a new driving licence unless you renounce your licence.
  • You can apply for the change of name in your driving licence in writing or in electronic form at the driving licence authority of your place of residence.
  • The loss of a driving licence must be reported immediately.

You apply for the issuance of a replacement driving licence at the driving licence authority responsible for you in your district or independent city.

You must hold a valid driving licence.

In case of name change:

  • official proof of place and date of birth (e.g. identity card or passport),
  • if applicable, registration certificate,
  • previous driving licence (it is the responsibility of the driving licence authority to ensure that the applicant is in possession of the driving licence by obtaining information from the registers.)
  • a biometric photograph in accordance with the Passport Ordinance,
  • in case of name change due to marriage: additionally certified copy of the marriage certificate, if the name has not yet been changed in the identity card or passport,
  • in case of name change due to divorce: additional name change certificate from the registry office, if the name has not yet been changed in the identity card or passport.
  • For more information, please contact the responsible office

In case of theft, loss, illegibility:

  • current photograph (size 45x35mm, portrait format, frontal shot). Information and examples can be found in the photo sample board (Bundesdruckerei).
  • If applicable, submission of an affidavit instead of the whereabouts of the driver's license
  • official proof of place and date of birth (e.g. identity card or passport)
  • If applicable, current registration certificate
  • If applicable, theft report from the police

The issuance of a card driving licence or the exchange for one are subject to a charge. Information on the amount of fees and costs is provided by the competent driving licence authority, which determines them in accordance with the scale of charges for road traffic measures (GebOSt). The amount of the fees depends on the administrative burden. The costs for sending the card driving licence, its express order or other expenses are not included in the fees, but are also to be borne by the applicants.

There are no deadlines to be observed.

The duration of the processing of the application for a card driving licence depends on the circumstances of each individual case. The production of the new card driving licence is carried out centrally by Bundesdruckerei GmbH in Berlin. In order to obtain the new driving licence, you can request that the card driving licence be sent to you. Direct shipping is carried out by Bundesdruckerei GmbH.

Or you can have the issued card driving licence picked up in person or - upon presentation of a power of attorney - by a representative at the driving licence authority.

It is also possible to apply for the driver's license by express delivery. The new driver's license will then be available at the driving license authority after about a few days.

It is not mandatory to issue a new driving licence in the event of a change of name. Nevertheless, in such a case, it is recommended to obtain a new driving licence.

Anyone who does not immediately report the loss of a driving licence and applies for a replacement document commits an administrative offence.

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Hessian Ministry of Economic Affairs, Energy, Transport and Housing

No authority found