jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.


In the second step, you choose which information you really need.

Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Apply for permission for insurance consultants


As an insurance consultant, you advise people on:

  • of the agreement,
  • Modification or
  • Examination of insurance contracts.

In addition, in the event of an insurance claim, you advise or represent persons out of court in the exercise of claims arising from insurance contracts.

For your work as an insurance consultant, you need a permit from your local Chamber of Commerce.

In addition to obtaining your permit, you must also register in the insurance intermediary register. By applying for permission, you can apply for registration in the register of intermediaries at the same time.

As an insurance consultant, you may not accept benefits (commissions) from insurance companies, nor

  • depend on insurance undertakings in another way, or
  • assume an economic advantage.

You are solely in the interests of your customers and may only be paid by them.

Special features for foreign nationals:

If you are a foreign national and have a branch in another Member State of the European Union (EU), you must register in that country. You do not need a permit in Germany, nor can you register in the German insurance intermediary register.

Foreign nationals from non-EU countries are subject to the same rules as German nationals. These also apply to EU nationals who register a corresponding trade only in Germany.

If you want to work full-time as an independent insurance consultant, you need a permit from the Chamber of Commerce and Industry (IHK).

You can apply for permission to work as an insurance consultant in writing:

  • Download the application form on the website of your local Chamber of Commerce. Complete this completely.
  • Then send it to your competent Chamber of Commerce with the necessary documents.
  • As soon as you have provided all the information and the documents are complete, the Chamber of Commerce decides on your application.
  • After a positive examination, you will receive permission and, if necessary, will be entered in the insurance intermediary register.
  • The permit granted is valid for an indefinite period. It does not end until you do without it. Under certain conditions, the Chamber of Commerce can revoke or withdraw the permit and have you deleted from the intermediary register.

Note: As a rule, your local Chamber of Commerce also offers an online procedure.

Contact the Responsible Chamber of Commerce and Industry (IHK).

  • They have the reliability necessary for the business. You are not considered reliable if you have been convicted of one of the following violations in the last 5 years:
    • Crime
    • Theft
    • Embezzlement
    • Blackmail
    • Fraud
    • Infidelity
    • Money laundering
    • Forgery of documents
    • Stealing
    • Usury
    • Insolvency offences
  • They live in orderly financial circumstances. You do not meet this requirement if:
    • insolvency proceedings concerning your assets, or
    • was rejected due to lack of mass, or
    • they are entered in the debtor's register.
  • You have the necessary expertise. Proof of the required expertise is possible by:
    • an expert examination before the Chamber of Commerce or
    • on equal training qualifications and possibly corresponding professional experience.
  • You have taken out professional insanity insurance. Currently, a minimum cover total of:
    • EUR 1,276,000 for each insured event and
    • EUR 1,919,000 for all claims in a year in total.
  • Copy of your valid identity card or passport
  • for proof of corporate legal form:
    • at headquarters in Germany:
      • extract from the commercial register or the partnership register, in the case of companies registered in a register, otherwise
      • a copy of the social contract
    • in the case of registered office abroad: documents from the country of residence proving the legal form
  • for proof of personal reliability:
    • at residence in Germany:
      • Certificate of leadership (document type O) and
      • Extract from the Business Central Register
    • when residing abroad: corresponding documents from your home country that prove your personal reliability
  • for proof of orderly financial circumstances:
    • at residence in Germany:
      • Extract from the debtor stake
      • Certificate of insolvency court
      • Certificate of the Tax Office in tax matters
    • for residence abroad: corresponding documents from your home country that prove your orderly financial situation
  • Ihk's certificate of expertise on the necessary knowledge and legal regulations of the insurance industry
  • Proof of an insurance undertaking's existence of professional inertial insurance for the insurance industry

For legal entities, you only need to fill in the application form for the legal entity itself. You must submit all personal documents for all persons entitled to the management. For the legal entity, you also need an excerpt from the business central register.

Partnerships are not eligible for authorisation as such. Therefore, every managing partner needs permission. For each of these persons, you must submit a completed application form and all personal documents.

Attention: Your Chamber of Commerce can request additional documents to verify personal reliability. Some of the documents submitted may not exceed a period of forfeiture at the time of the decision (not only at the time of filing). Please check with your Chamber of Commerce.

  • The fees for granting permission for insurance consultants and for registration in the insurance intermediary register vary according to the Chamber of Commerce

Note: There may also be costs when requesting documents that you must provide during the procedure.

  • Decision on the application: within 3 months

Note: You may not start work until permission has been granted.

Depending on the Chamber of Commerce.

Forms: you will receive from your responsible Chamber of Commerce and Industry

Online procedure possible: partly, depending on the Chamber of Commerce

Written form required: yes

Personal appearance necessary: no

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Federal Ministry of Economics and Energy (BMWi)

No authority found