jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.


In the second step, you choose which information you really need.

Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Allow an insurance company to operate


You are an insurance intermediary if you are:

  • insurance agents or
  • Insurance brokers are active.

For this you need a permit from your locally responsible IHK. In addition to obtaining permission, you must also register in the insurance intermediary register. With the application for permission, you can also submit an application for entry in the register of intermediaries.

As an insurance agent:

  • arrange insurance contracts for one or more insurers on a commercial basis and
  • as its administrator, you are on the side of the insurance company on the basis of an agency contract.

As an insurance broker:

  • independently arrange insurance contracts on behalf of the customers and
  • are on the customer's side as the customer's guardian of their interests.

Special features for foreign nationals:

If you are a foreign national and have an establishment in another Member State of the European Union (EU), you must register in that country. You do not need a permit in Germany nor can you register in the German insurance intermediary register.

The same provisions apply to foreign nationals from non-EU countries as to German nationals. These also apply to EU citizens who register a corresponding business exclusively in Germany.

You can apply for permission to work as an insurance intermediary in writing:

  • Download the application form on the website of your local IHK. Fill it out completely.
  • Then send it with the necessary documents to your responsible IHK.
  • As soon as you have provided all the information and the documents are complete, the IHK will decide on your application.
  • After a positive examination, you will receive permission and, if necessary, you will be entered in the insurance intermediary register.
  • The permission granted is valid indefinitely. It only ends when you do without it. Under certain conditions, the IHK may revoke or withdraw the permission and have you deleted from the register of intermediaries.

Note: As a rule, your locally responsible IHK also offers an online procedure.

Responsibility lies with the Federal Financial Supervisory Authority (BaFin).

  • They have the reliability necessary for commercial operations. You are not considered reliable if you have been convicted of one of the following violations in the last 5 years:
    • Crime
    • Theft
    • Embezzlement
    • Blackmail
    • Fraud
    • Unfaithfulness
    • Money laundering
    • Forgery of documents
    • Fencing
    • Usury
    • Insolvency offences
  • They live in orderly financial circumstances. You do not meet this requirement if:
    • opens insolvency proceedings against your assets, or
    • has been rejected for lack of assets, or
    • You are entered in the debtor register.
  • You have the necessary expertise. Proof of the required expertise is possible by:
    • a proficiency test before the Chamber of Industry and Commerce or
    • through equivalent training qualifications and possibly corresponding professional experience.
  • You have taken out professional indemnity insurance. Currently, a minimum coverage of:
    • EUR 1,276,000 for each insured event and
    • EUR 1,919,000 for all claims of a year in total.
  • Copy of your valid identity card or passport
  • for proof of the entrepreneurial legal form:
    • at the company's headquarters in Germany:
      • Extract from the commercial register or the partnership register, in the case of companies registered in a register, otherwise
      • a copy of the articles of association
    • in the case of the company's registered office abroad: documents from the country of residence proving the legal form
  • for proof of personal reliability:
    • if you are resident in Germany:
      • Certificate of good conduct (document type O) and
      • Excerpt from the Central Trade Register
    • for residents abroad: Appropriate documents from your home country that prove your personal reliability
  • for proof of orderly financial circumstances:
    • if you are resident in Germany:
      • Extract from the debtor register
      • Certificate from the insolvency court
      • Certificate from the tax office in tax matters
    • for residents abroad: Corresponding documents from your home country proving your orderly financial circumstances
  • Certificate of competence of the Chamber of Industry and Commerce about existing necessary knowledge and legal regulations of the insurance industry
  • Proof by an insurance undertaking of the existence of professional indemnity insurance for the insurance industry

In the case of legal entities, you only need to complete the application form for the legal entity itself. You must submit all personal documents for all persons entitled to the management of the company. For the legal entity, you also need an excerpt from the Central Trade Register.

Partnerships are not eligible for permission as such. Therefore, every managing partner needs permission. For each of these persons, you must submit a completed application form and all personal documents.

Attention: To check the personal reliability, your IHK can request further documents. Some of the documents submitted may not exceed an expiry period at the time of the decision (not only at the time of filing). Inquire about this with your IHK.

  • The fees for the licensing procedures for insurance intermediaries and the registration in the insurance intermediary register vary depending on the Chamber of Industry and Commerce.

Note: There may also be costs for requesting documents that you are required to provide during the procedure.


  • Decision on the application: within 3 months

Note: You may not start the activity until permission has been granted.

Depending on the IHK different.

Forms: can be obtained from your competent Chamber of Commerce and Industry

Online procedure possible: partially, depending on the CHAMBER OF INDUSTRY and Commerce

Written form required: no

Personal appearance required: no

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy (BMWi)

No authority found