jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.


In the second step, you choose which information you really need.

Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Apply for a driver card


The driver card is used to monitor driving times and rest periods in the commercial transport of goods and passengers. The obligation to use a driver card applies to:

  • motor vehicles with a maximum authorised mass of more than 3.5 tonnes, including trailers;
  • motor vehicles with a maximum authorised mass of 2.8 to 3.5 tonnes, including trailers, provided that a digital tachograph is installed;
  • as well as for motor vehicles designed to carry more than nine persons, including the driver.

Exemptions (e.g. for farms or postal services) are explained in § 1 para. 2 and § 18 of the Driving Personnel Ordinance as well as Art 3 of EU Regulation 561/2014.

You are applying for a driver card for the first time if you are not yet in possession of a valid driver card.

The application for the issuance of your driver card should be submitted to the competent authorities or bodies under state law (e.g. driver's licensing authority, Dekra, TÜV).

The issuance is subject to a fee.

You must either identify yourself via the online authentication of the user account or introduce yourself personally on site.

The driver card is valid for five years. The beginning of the validity is the date of personalization (production) by the Federal Motor Transport Authority (KBA). The card renewal should take place no later than 15 working days before the card expires. If the driver card has already expired at the time of application, an initial order will be placed.


The driver card issued to you personally may only be used by you. The driver card is always your property, even if your employer has paid for the driver card.

You are eligible to apply for the initial issuance of a driver card if you:

  • are resident in the Federal Republic of Germany and
  • have a German EU card driving licence with one of the following classes: B, BE, C1, C1E, C, CE, D1, D1E, D, DE

Driving licences issued in a member state of the European Union (EU) or another state party to the Agreement on the European Economic Area (EEA) must correspond to one of the aforementioned classes.

  • Identity card (or residence permit or Union citizen card)
  • Up-to-date, digital biometric photograph
  • A digital copy of your signature
  • A digital copy of your current EU card driving licence or a comparable driving licence for applicants from another EU/EEA country

Cost type: variable
Cost (variable): from 30 to 45 euros
Description of costs: Administrative fee

If a driver card is issued for the first time, there is no time limit.

The driver cards are issued in Saxony-Anhalt by DEKRA Automobil GmbH and TÜV Nord Mobilität GmbH & Co. KG.

Forms available: Yes
Written form required: Yes
Informal application possible: No
Personal appearance required: No

Depending on the federal state, you can submit the application for your driver card with the necessary documents and information online or on site.

  • At your local driving licence authority
  • or another competent body (e.g. TÜV, DEKRA).
  • In order to identify yourself online and check your documents, you must have the option of online authentication using a user account and digital upload of the required documents.
  • You can pay for the application online via a payment service provider.
  • The creation of a driver card is subject to a fee.
  • As part of the application, you must provide all the required information and submit or upload documents.
  • The competent authority will check your information for completeness and correctness.
  • After successful testing, the KBA (Federal Motor Transport Authority) creates the personalized driver card.
  • You can use the personalized driver card
    • pick them up directly from the competent authority in person or
    • can be sent directly (after online authentication and online payment) by the KBA.


If serious infringements (including both criminal offences and administrative offences) are found at the time of initial issuance, the issue of the driver card may be refused and the application may be rejected.

If necessary, an administrative offence or fine procedure will then be initiated.

There are the following indications:

In Germany, employers are not obliged to reimburse their employees for the costs of the driver card. The Federal Labor Court has ruled that employees are not entitled to reimbursement of costs.


In the event of damage, malfunction, loss or theft of the driver card, you must apply to the competent authorities for the replacement of the card within seven calendar days at the latest. The theft of the driver card must be reported to the police.

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

No authority found