jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.


In the second step, you choose which information you really need.

Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Apply for recognition of equivalent training completed abroad as a nursing assistant


The profession of health and nursing assistant or health and nursing assistant is regulated in many federal states of Germany. This means that in order to work without restriction as a health and nursing assistant or a health and nursing assistant, you need a government permit.

With this permission, you are allowed to hold the job title and work in the profession without restriction.

The legal regulations and requirements of the profession differ in the individual federal states.

Even with a professional qualification from abroad, you can obtain permission to hold the professional title from the competent authority (an authority).

To do so, you must have your foreign professional qualification recognised. In the procedure, the competent body compares your foreign professional qualification with the German professional qualification and checks the equivalence. Equivalence is an important condition for the granting of state authorisation.

In addition to your professional qualification, you must meet other requirements. For example, you must be healthy and be able to speak the German language.

It is important where you have done your training. The procedure for professional qualifications from the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland may be different from the procedure for professional qualifications from third countries. Third countries are all non-EU, EEA or Switzerland countries.

You can also apply from abroad.

Applicants must also demonstrate that they intend to pursue the profession in the Land of Saxony-Anhalt.

Would you like to work as a nursing assistant in Germany? Find out more about the prerequisites here.

The procedure may vary from one federal state to another. In most länder, the procedure is as follows:

Examination of equivalence

They shall submit an application for authorisation to the competent authority. The application is called different in each federal state.
The competent body then checks whether you meet all the requirements. A prerequisite is professional qualifications. The competent body compares your professional qualification from abroad with the German professional qualification as a health and nursing assistant or health and nursing assistant. The competent body shall check whether your professional qualification is equivalent. The professional qualification is equivalent if there are no significant differences between your foreign professional qualification and the German professional qualification.

Possible results of the test

If your professional qualification is equivalent, your foreign professional qualification will be recognised. The authority may confirm the result in writing. You have to meet the other requirements and prove your language skills. Then you will be given permission to take the professional title.

If the competent body finds significant differences, you may be able to make up for the differences with your professional practice. You must prove your professional practice.

However, your professional practice may not be sufficient. You cannot then compensate for the main differences. The competent body will tell you in writing the main differences and why you cannot compensate for them with your professional practice. However, the competent authority offers you a compensatory measure. If you successfully complete this action, you can compensate for the significant differences. Your professional qualification will then be recognised.

Compensatory measures

As a compensatory measure, you can choose between an adaptation course and an aptitude test (for professional qualifications from eu/EEA/Switzerland) or a knowledge test (for professional qualifications from third countries). The adaptation course is a practical post-qualification and can last the entire German training period for the profession (12 months). The aptitude test shall only examine the differences identified by the competent body. In the knowledge test, your knowledge is checked in certain subjects and areas. If you complete the adaptation course or pass the aptitude or knowledge examination (and meet all other requirements), you will be granted permission to take the professional title.


The competent authority shall make its decision in writing in a communication. You can take legal action against the decision of the competent authority. The decision will then be reviewed. Details can be provided in the appeal notice at the end of the decision. We recommend that you speak to the appropriate body before taking legal action against the decision.

The responsibility lies with the Land Administration Office of the Land of Saxony-Anhalt in the State Examination Office for Health Professions.

  • You have a professional qualification as a health and nursing assistant or a health and nursing assistant from abroad.
  • They are healthy (health suitability). This means that you are mentally and physically healthy and can work in your profession.
  • They are personally suitable for the profession (personal suitability). In other words, they are reliable and have no criminal record.
  • You have sufficient knowledge of German. You usually have to prove the level B2 according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.

The application shall be enclosed with the following documents:

  • short CV with tabular list of completed training courses and the activities carried out
  • Birth certificate
  • Certificate in case of name change (e.g. marriage certificate/family book excerpt )
  • Proof of identity (identity / passport)
  • Proof of application for an entry visa for gainful employment
  • Certificate of school leaving certificate
  • Examination certificate with proof of the theoretical and practical lessons received in each subject
  • Diploma / Certificate of State Recognition in the country where the training was completed
  • Certificate of the country of origin or country of origin on the recognition of professional qualifications in accordance with Directive 2005/36/EC and professional experience
  • Proof of previous professional activities (e.g. work certificates, work book)
  • Proof of completion of a language course "German" (GER - B2)
  • Certificate of the main residence of the registration authority responsible for your domicile
  • Proof of contact with potential employers
  • Declaration of impunity (see form)
  • a declaration that no application for professional recognition has yet been submitted.

The documents must be presented in officially certified photocopy (certifications only possible by resident registration offices, district offices or notaries).

The German translations must be made by a publicly appointed or sworn interpreter or translator.

Administrative fees are charged for the application procedure. The fee can cost up to 600 euros.

Sometimes there is a lack of documentation for the procedure. The competent authority shall inform you and specify deadlines. Then you have to submit the documents by the deadline.

After a maximum of one month, the competent authority will confirm that your documents have arrived. The competent authority will inform you if documents are missing.
If the documents are complete, the procedure will take 3 months.
In individual cases, the procedure may be extended. For professional qualifications from the EU, eEA or Switzerland, the procedure lasts a maximum of 4 months.

The network "Integration through Qualification" (IQ-Network) will be happy to advise and accompany you before, in and if necessary also after the recognition procedure.

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

No authority found