jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.


In the second step, you choose which information you really need.

Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Apply for unemployment benefit II


The unemployment benefit II serves as basic security, i.e. to secure your livelihood. The basic security for jobseekers supports you with

  • benefits designed to help you find a job,
  • Help in finding a training place and
  • Benefits to secure your livelihood.

The basic security benefits are transferred to your account every month in advance.

The job centre checks at regular intervals that they are in need of help. The job centre therefore normally approves the benefits for 12 months. Sometimes the Jobcenter grants unemployment benefit II for only 6 months, for example, if your income is different every month.

Lump sum

You will receive a lump sum to secure your livelihood. It covers your needs, such as nutrition, clothing and personal hygiene, and is adjusted annually. For 2020, the following standard amounts apply:

  • Single, single those who are adults, adults with minor partners: EUR 432.00
  • Adult partners: EUR 389,00
  • Other persons of legal age aged 18 to 24 and persons under the age of 25 who move out of their parental household without assurance from the municipal authority (18 to 24 years): EUR 345.00
  • Children from 14 to 17 years: EUR 328,00
  • Children from 6 to 13 years: EUR 308,00
  • Children from 0 to 5 years: EUR 250,00

Additional requirements
If you need more money due to certain circumstances, you can also receive benefits for it. Benefits for so-called additional needs are received, for example, expectant mothers from the 13th week of pregnancy, single currencies, people with disabilities or people who need a more costly diet for medical reasons.

In addition, you can receive the following services:

  • Services for your accommodation and heating, as far as these costs are reasonable. What costs are reasonable depends on the place where you live.
    • Special case: If you are under 25 years old and not married and want to move out with your parents or one of your parents, you can only receive these benefits if you have a so-called assurance from the job center. You must apply for the assurance at your job centre. Indicate in it the reasons for your move. You will receive the assurance if
      • speak serious social reasons for moving out of your parents' home and you can prove them,
      • the move to the new apartment is important to take up a new job, or
      • there is another important reason.
      • If you move without the assurance of the job center, the costs for the apartment and the heating will not be covered by the job center. Also money for the initial equipment of your apartment will then not be paid.
  • If you move to a new apartment (after the assurance has been given) or have to accept a new job and have to move for it, the job center will pay you the necessary relocation costs and, if necessary, grant the rental deposit as a loan.
  • In emergencies where your livelihood is at risk, you can get a loan in the form of cash or in-kind benefits on a separate application. This can be, for example, if something has been stolen from you or something has broken. However, the standard rate already includes an amount to save. This means that you usually have to pay for purchases from the money saved from the standard rate.
  • You can also receive one-time support on separate request in certain situations. Examples of this are an initial equipment of the apartment or an initial equipment during pregnancy and childbirth.
  • Contributions to your health and long-term care insurance.
  • Services for education and participation in social and cultural life for children, adolescents and young adults, such as
    • School trips,
    • communal lunch or
    • Equipped with school supplies.
  • You must apply separately for extracurricular learning support (tutoring).

Consideration of income and assets

When calculating unemployment benefit II, your income and assets and that of all persons with whom you live in a community of needs is taken into account.

Income includes:

  • income from a job (including from the self-employed),
  • Compensation benefits such as unemployment benefit I, parental allowance or sickness benefit,
  • capital and interest income as well as income from shareholdings,
  • income from letting and leasing, agriculture and forestry,
  • maintenance and child benefit,
  • Pensions
  • one-off income, such as tax refunds or inheritances, and
  • Vocational training allowance, training allowance, BAföG.

The like are deducted from this:

  • Taxes attributable to income (e.g. payroll tax and income tax).
  • compulsory contributions to statutory social security (e.g. health insurance, long-term care insurance, pension insurance) and
  • advertising costs, i.e. costs caused by the exercise of your profession,
  • legally prescribed insurance (e.g. motor vehicle liability),
  • a flat rate of EUR 30.00 per month for private insurance, such as household contents insurance and
  • Contributions for a Riester pension.

You will also be granted an allowance (an amount that is not taken into account) for your earned income. The allowance depends on the amount of your gross income.

Your assets will be taken into account in the examination of entitlement to unemployment benefit II if they are usable and exceed a certain allowance. Assets can be used if they can be used directly for subsistence or if their monetary value can be used for subsistence through consumption, sale, loan, rental or lease. Assets that you cannot or may not freely dispose of are not usable, for example because the asset is pledged.

Assets include, for example:

  • Cash
  • Balances on investment accounts, savings, building savings, savings bonds, securities,
  • Capital life insurance and
  • House and real estate and condominiums of inappropriate size as well as other rights in rem to land.

Your assets do not take into account:

  • A basic allowance for you and, if applicable, for your partner. This basic allowance has an amount of EUR 150.00 for each completed year of life. So you can calculate your basic allowance by calculating your age times 150. The minimum amount of the basic allowance is EUR 3,100.00. This basic allowance also applies to any minor child entitled to benefits.
  • Allowances for necessary purchases. Here you and every person who lives in your community of needs is entitled to an allowance of EUR 750.00.
  • Other pensions. This refers to assets that you have built up for retirement provision – for example, in a life insurance policy. For each completed year of life, you and, if applicable, your partner are entitled to EUR 750.00 free of charge. However, you are not allowed to use this money before you retire. This is contractually recorded in the so-called exclusion of exploitation.
  • Reasonable household contents.
  • An appropriate motor vehicle for every person capable of working in the community of need.

Performance Degradations

Please note that unemployment benefit II can be reduced if you behave in breach of duty without good cause. Conduct contrary to duty means: if you despite written instruction about legal consequences

  • refuse to fulfil your obligations as set out in the integration agreement (you conclude the integration agreement together with your personal contact person),
  • refuse to take up or continue a reasonable job, training, employment opportunity or a sponsored employment relationship or prevent its initiation by your conduct, or
  • do not take a reasonable measure for integration into work or training, break off or give rise to the termination.

For each of these breaches of duty, unemployment benefit II can be reduced by 30 percent of the relevant standard requirement for a maximum period of 3 months.

Please also note your reporting obligations at the job centre. If you do not comply with a registration request from the job center without good cause, your unemployment benefit II can be reduced by 10 percent of the relevant standard requirement. Any further failure to report can lead to a further reduction of 10 percent of the standard requirement.

The monthly reduction amount may not exceed 30 percent of the relevant standard requirement. A reduction in performance may not take place if this would lead to exceptional hardship in the specific individual case. If these obligations are subsequently fulfilled or if you subsequently agree to fulfil your obligations, the job centre shall provide the services in full again from this point in time.

The reduction shall not continue for more than one month from that date.

If you do not have enough money available to finance your necessary livelihood yourself, then you can apply for unemployment benefit II.

In order to receive unemployment benefit II, you must submit an application. To do this, please contact your job centre. This can also be done online (until 31.12.2020).

Apply for unemployment benefit II in writing:

  • Visit your responsible job center. It is located in the county or city where you usually reside or are registered.
  • In the job center, your personal situation will be discussed and you will receive all the application forms and documents that you have to fill out.
  • The application forms can also be found on the Internet.
  • Fill in the application documents for unemployment benefit II. You can get help in the job center or use the fill-in instructions in German or in other languages.
  • Submit your complete application documents to your job centre. This also includes:
    • Lease
    • Proof of heating and ancillary costs and
    • Proof of income and assets.
  • The job centre will decide on your application. The decision on your application will be communicated to you in writing by post.

Apply for unemployment benefit II online:

  • You can submit the simplified application for unemployment benefit II easily and conveniently online. To do so, visit the website of the Federal Employment Agency.
  • Navigate to the application for unemployment benefit II. Follow the instructions and fill in instructions and fill out the application directly on the computer.
  • Save the document on your computer and upload the completed application.
  • If you have already completed attachments or proofs of your application, please upload them as well. If you are not yet able or do not want to submit completed attachments or certificates, you can do so if your job centre asks you to do so.
  • The job centre will decide on your application. The decision on your application will be communicated to you in writing by post.
  • They are able to work. This means that you
    • be able to work at least 3 hours a day and
    • are at least 15 years old and have not yet reached the age limit of the statutory pension insurance. If you were born after 1963, this is 67 years. If you were born before 1964, you can look up the age limit applicable to you in the table in § 7a SGB II.
  • They are in need of help. This means that you cannot cover your livelihood and the maintenance of your community of needs completely alone from your own resources and forces of the community of need.
  • You have no overriding claims against other service providers or other persons, such as against divorced spouses or the father or mother of your child.
  • They live in the Federal Republic of Germany.
  • Valid identity document:
    • Identity card or
    • valid passport with current registration certificate
    • Residence permit
  • Proof of income, such as a wage certificate or current bank statements (e.g. pensions, sick pay, child benefit, maintenance, maintenance advance)
  • Proof of existing assets (e.g. savings, shares, securities, home savings contracts)
  • Proof of expenses, for example by presenting bank statements (or, for example, rental agreement, rental receipts, heating costs, documents on insurance contributions)
  • Proof of earlier receipt of benefits, also at another job centre (approval notice, proof of achievement)
  • If you submit the application following an employment relationship:
    • Working papers (also resignation letters or declarations on the work task)
    • Employment certificate (to be completed by the employer)

None if you have an account.

If you do not have an account, you will receive a payment instruction for offsetting. That's a check. However, this will incur costs that will be deducted directly from the service to which you are entitled. Since the amount of the costs for the payment order can vary, please contact your responsible job center. You can have the cheque converted into cash at the issuing bank.

None – however, benefits are only granted from the month in which you made the application.

If you currently still receive unemployment benefits, it is advisable to submit the application early before the end of these benefits so that you do not get into financial distress.

For initial applications in the service area, an average processing time of a maximum of 14 working days is targeted. For this, the documents must be complete.

Application form: yes
Online procedure possible: yes
Written form required: no, the application is also possible informally
Personal appearance required: no

Basic security means that your subsistence minimum is secured, i.e. the security of what is necessary for life.

If you are not able to work, however, you can still be entitled to benefits if you live with one or an employable beneficiary in a community of need. Then you can get social money.

The benefits for education and participation in social life for children, adolescents and young adults – with the exception of extracurricular learning support – no longer have to be applied for separately since 1.8.2019.

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Federal Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs

No authority found