jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.


In the second step, you choose which information you really need.

Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Apply for a child supplement


The child supplement is a benefit for families with a low income. The child supplement supports your family if they have a low income and cannot or cannot fully cover the needs of the entire family.

You are entitled to a child supplement for your children under the age of 25 if:

  • your child(s) are not married or partnered and live in your household,
  • you receive child benefit for the child or are not entitled to child benefit only because you receive another state benefit that excludes child benefit,
  • you have enough income for yourself and can cover the needs of your family with the child supplement,
  • Your monthly income reaches a minimum limit (the so-called minimum income limit) and,
  • Your income and assets, which are counted towards the child supplement, are not so high that the child supplement is reduced to zero.

The maximum amount of the child supplement is EUR 205.00 per month per child. If your income is higher than your own needs, the child supplement decreases. The income of your children is also taken into account, for example if your children receive maintenance, maintenance advance or half-orphan's pension.
The child supplement is granted for 6 months in each case. After 6 months, you will need to submit a new application.
The following are counted as income:

  • own income of your child/children, such as maintenance, maintenance advance or half-orphan's pension to 45 percent,
  • 45 per cent of parents' income from employment or self-employment that exceeds their own needs,
  • compensation benefits such as unemployment benefit, short-time working allowance or sickness benefit,
  • parental or state child-raising allowance,
  • social security pensions,
  • investment and interest income,
  • income from letting and leasing, and
  • Maintenance payments (spousal maintenance).

Since 1 January 2020, you can also receive the child supplement if you do not remain more than 100 euros below the SGB II entitlement with your earned income, the child supplement and the housing benefit.

If you receive a child supplement or housing benefit, you can receive education and participation benefits for your children. In addition, you can be exempted from the KiTa fees.

The KiZ pilot helps you to quickly and easily check whether you are entitled to a child supplement. You can find the KiZ pilot on the website of the Family Fund of the Federal Employment Agency under the navigation

The family fund offers a video consultation, through which you can ask questions about the child supplement from home. You can make an appointment for video consultation by calling 0800 4555530.

If you as a parent earn enough income for yourself, but the income is not or only just enough for the whole family, you can apply for the child supplement.

You can apply for the child supplement online or in writing using the form provided:

  • Complete the application online on the website of the Family Barracks of the Federal Employment Agency; if necessary, you can upload the necessary evidence or
  • download the form online and print it out. Alternatively, you can obtain the form from your responsible family fund.
  • Fill in the form and add the necessary evidence. If you use the online application, you may be able to upload the certificates immediately. They will later be attached to the signed application.
  • Submit the signed application documents to the family fund. To do this, you can print out the application yourself or have it printed out sent to you. The application must still be submitted by post to the family fund.
  • You will then receive the approval or information about the rejection of your application by post, stating the reasons.

You can find the family fund responsible for you via the service finder on the website of the Federal Employment Agency.

In order to receive a child supplement, the following requirements must be met:

  • Your child/children are younger than 25 years of age, not married or partnered and live in your household.
  • You receive child benefit or a comparable benefit for your child(s), for example from abroad.
  • You have
    • as a couple together with a gross income of at least EUR 900.00 per month (without housing benefit, child benefit and child supplement) or
    • as a single parent for at least EUR 600.00 per month.
  • Your income and assets, which are counted towards the child supplement, are not so high that the child supplement is reduced to zero.
  • As a rule, you can receive the child supplement if you can use your income, child benefit, any housing benefit and the child supplement to meet the needs of the whole family within the meaning of SGB II.
  • Child supplement is subordinate to other possible income of the child; where applicable, there is an obligation to seek priority claims such as maintenance or advance maintenance.
  • Certificates of earnings from the employer for the last 6 months before the application is submitted
  • Proof of other income
  • Declaration of assets
  • Proof of housing costs
  • if applicable, further documents and evidence

Note: The child supplement is not paid retroactively, but at the earliest from the month of application.

As a rule, processing takes place within one month of receipt of the complete application for child supplement.

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Family Fund of the Federal Employment Agency

No authority found